Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

Eli77657

Reaction score
Here is my two cents I don’t have my truck yet but I sure hope they roll out a way to disable this

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Stellantis (and all other manufacturers) doesn’t care at all about the environment or “green“ crowd opinions. What they care about is money. If the introduce a feature to save fuel, especially on HD trucks where there‘s no government mandated publishing of fuel economy, it’s because their customers (fleets in the case of HD trucks, us individual buyers are largely irrelevant) are asking for better fuel economy.

The horn thing is intended as a safety/security feature. It has nothing to do with any conspiracy about environmentalists.

All in the name of safety. Yet the BEV is advertising a "follow me" feature. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

b307a1

Reaction score
The horn thing is intended as a safety/security feature. It has nothing to do with any conspiracy about environmentalists.
People getting out of their vehicles while leaving them running has been a behavior that pretty much started at the same time that cars began rolling off of Fords assembly line. So,119 years later the auto industry adds this feature to change users behavior under the guise of "safety/ security"?

Has the industry taken the position that society is so dumbed down that they don't even know when their vehicle is running ?

If it was a true safety feature, when the fob exceeded a predetermined distance from the vehicle it would shut down or at least chirp intermittently until the driver got back in the vehicle or it was shut down. As you know, they will beep 3 times when you first get out with it running and allow it to idle until it runs out of fuel without any input from the operator.

The safety /security claim by itself seems just seems to be a little suspect. The "green crowd," i.e., politicians are stuffing their environmental messaging and demands into every aspect of our lives so a linkage to it is not too far-fetched.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
If it was a true safety feature, when the fob exceeded a predetermined distance from the vehicle it would shut down
Careful what you wish for with not having the three horn honk, because what you just suggested is the other alternative on the table. Within the jobs act, the NHTSA is forced to come up with a solid idea to float to congress about preventing CO deaths with push button start vehicles. NHTSA has been recommending manufacturers come up with some ideas, and some have tried implementing engine shutdown after a certain amount of time. NHTSA isn’t keen on that idea because of circumstances where owners leave pets in the vehicle.
I’m sure whatever they do come up with won’t have to be implemented for a while on new vehicles moving forward, but if they can right now, Ram should definitely make the three horn honk a user selectable feature.

b307a1

Reaction score
Jimmy ol' boy you did it again!

As always, I appreciate your insight.

I know that I am only an outsider looking in and can only see what is right in front of me and not what is going on in the back rooms. The lack of information usually leads to some speculation.

Thanks to your enlightenment I now see the reasoning behind this issue.

Last edited:

thundercles

Reaction score
Agree with all the others. Make it optional and I will gladly disable it. While you are at it, I (well mostly my neighbors) would also like to get rid of the two horn beeps when remote starting the truck.

HockeyPUcX

Reaction score
I would love the ability to disable the 3-horn beep when the vehicle is running, and I exit the vehicle with the key fob. I do this frequently. Pull up to the mailbox and hop out to grab the mail, run a brief errand with dogs or girlfriend in the truck and hop out. The horn honking is very annoying in this circumstance. I know I have the key fob in my pocket, and the truck is running. I am doing both intentionally. It is not reminding me of something I am not aware of. It is not like I cannot hear the 6.7-liter motor running or don't know the keys are in my pocket. It just makes everyone at the post office, mini-mart, etc., stare at me.

jebruns

Reaction score
You can disable it, mine was disabled before I left the dealership lot, along with the single lock honk.
Thanks, I'll take another look. I did disable the horn on single lock. Kind of ridiculous that they give is those options to silence the horn, and not one for leaving the vehicle.

CFE

Reaction score
make it an option that we can disable.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
I'm glad mine is a 2021 but I've been around enough vehicles with the horn honk and it is very annoying and unneeded.

To me this is up there with the alert to check the back seats every time you turn off a new GM or Ford. If you forget about your kid, animal, or unicorn in the back, I think you have other issues.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Careful what you wish for with not having the three horn honk, because what you just suggested is the other alternative on the table. Within the jobs act, the NHTSA is forced to come up with a solid idea to float to congress about preventing CO deaths with push button start vehicles. NHTSA has been recommending manufacturers come up with some ideas, and some have tried implementing engine shutdown after a certain amount of time. NHTSA isn’t keen on that idea because of circumstances where owners leave pets in the vehicle.
I’m sure whatever they do come up with won’t have to be implemented for a while on new vehicles moving forward, but if they can right now, Ram should definitely make the three horn honk a user selectable feature.
Interesting comment on the CO deaths. My old 2015 F150 would shut down if you let it idle for an "excessive" amount of time in park and would show a message as such.

It also had the *$mn 3 horn honk.

CortexM0

Reaction score
Is it really a three horn honk? Where I grew up, three consecutive loud sounds is the universal signal for distress. Three consecutive, equally timed, gun shots or horn honks will get anybody in earshot running to assist.

I understand the need to alert the driver that a vehicle was left running... if it's a hybrid or equipped with start-stop. Our hybrid SUV gives a nice double "chirp" when left running. This is a great solution. It's not the horn and provides an alert without drawing the attention of everyone around you. Then on the other hand you have our Mustang GT that does a double horn honk. This has gotten me numerous dirty looks, and I've apologized to neighbors multiple times. This car has a manual transmission and doesn't have start-stop. If the ignition is on, the engine is running. There is no way you're going to accidentally leave the engine running. I imagine an HD Ram with a diesel is the same way. The fact that the engine is still running, is plenty of alert that it's still turned on.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
I definitely want the ability to disable it. 100%

but for those that say the engine running should be enough of a reminder you'd be surprised (or maybe not) that the younger generation may not be as attentive/aware. I have several friends with HS age kids that have relayed that their kiddo has left a vehicle running...a couple of them say it's an ongoing issue...one of them left their vehicle running in the school parking lot the entire school day and it ran hot after that...finally had to dump it....their thinking is it's because these kids haven't grown up with having to deal with ignition keys...

was pretty surprised that it was simply a default setting on my 2022 since all our other vehicles had "warnings" but none this obtrusive...

jadmt

Reaction score
I wonder if there was an over the air update. On my 2020 I have left my key in the cup holder when I park in the garage and even in the driveway during the day. Never once has my truck did a 3 honk at me in over 30,000 miles and 2 1/2 years. yesterday I pulled in the garage shut it off jumped out shut the door the same way I have done since day one and lo and behold HONK HONK HONK.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
but for those that say the engine running should be enough of a reminder you'd be surprised (or maybe not) that the younger generation may not be as attentive/aware. I have several friends with HS age kids that have relayed that their kiddo has left a vehicle running...a couple of them say it's an ongoing issue...one of them left their vehicle running in the school parking lot the entire school day and it ran hot after that...finally had to dump it....their thinking is it's because these kids haven't grown up with having to deal with ignition keys...
A product of not having an actual key. I'd be very appreciative of the mfr's doing away with keyless start on HD pickups, or at least giving us an option for a key. That would do away with a lot of this Gucci crap that I really don't appreciate. The mfr's can't seem to get it through their heads that many of their HD diesel pickup trucks are used commercially and run over the road just like big trucks, as they continue to load them down with passenger car options. It would be an amazing breath of fresh air if they would just go look at Class 8 trucks (Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc) for ideas of what a truck should look like.

Users who are viewing this thread