Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

jsalbre

Reaction score
I voted for being able to disable it, as I can see situations where one might want it. That said, for myself and most others here it’s bad enough that I suggest a TSB with a computer flash to disable it on existing vehicles. I know on the Gladiator forums there have been several members that actually sold their Jeeps because of the honking, and we may have had someone here that sold their Ram because of it.

As someone who tows his RV frequently and regularly arrives at campgrounds at night it’s a very problematic feature. I leave the keys in my pocket so I never accidentally forget them, but when I pull up to a campsite I’m in and out of the truck several times while getting my trailer set up and disconnected. The honking is exceptionally rude to the other campers.

These trucks are not quiet. No one is ever going to get out and walk away thinking they shut it off.

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
37-0 so far. Pretty obvious this is a roundly disliked feature. Hard to believe with all the options on the uConnect that one of them is not to disable this annoying feature.

buzzuti

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We'd love to get your opinion on how you feel about the Key Left Vehicle Feature otherwise known as the Three Horn Chirp, or the horn that sounds when you've left your Key Fob inside of your truck or when your truck is left running without the Key Fob inside.

I get it, safety first, but there should be an option to disable it.

Ctate

Reaction score
Mine has never chirped when I leave the truck while it's running.. I have an ez link and might have turned it off but I do like the chirp when I forget the key in the truck and it's off and I try to lock it. I forget the key in there all the time. That's a good one for me.

d19r93

Reaction score
It drives me nuts. I have resorted to leaving the drivers door not-all-the-way latched when I go to drop of my kids at school. In a parking lot it makes people think that I'm honking at them to stop or trying to alert them to something. It's right up there with the Uconnect issues on my "hate" list.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Thank you for reaching out and giving us the opportunity to give you some feedback.

I'm in and out of the running truck often opening and closing gates, checking the mail, fueling, etc. and it's annoying, discourteous to others around, and unnecessary. There's also a potential hearing loss hazard as one is walking around the front of the truck as the horn sounds 1-2-3 times. I know there's some claim to safety, but that sounds a bit contrived and like a solution looking for a problem to me. I'm a retired battalion chief and had an assigned FD vehicle and this would be an annoying nuisance in that capacity. At emergency scenes, especially wildland fires, we are in and out of our running vehicles constantly. Many agencies use vehicle horn blasts to signal safety threshold trigger points. Out-of-the-blue honking horns all over a going incident is an absolutely terrible and potentially unsafe distraction. At the very least give us the option to disable it.

Thanks again for reaching out.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has never chirped when I leave the truck while it's running.. I have an ez link and might have turned it off but I do like the chirp when I forget the key in the truck and it's off and I try to lock it. I forget the key in there all the time. That's a good one for me.

You have a 2021, this started with 2022.

mountainears

Reaction score
Here’s my post for how to disable it. Not easy, but if you want it gone it’s a clean solution.

Eliminate 3 horn chirp when exiting vehicle while engine running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Here’s my post for how to disable it. Not easy, but if you want it gone it’s a clean solution.

Eliminate 3 horn chirp when exiting vehicle while engine running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure hoping that Ram is considering some kind of ECM flash/update so we can disable it without going through all of that. If not, I am doing this and thank you for sharing it with us.

AFF

Reaction score
Get rid of it or have a disable function like turning off the horn beeps during remote start or locking the truck. Those are the first things I shut off.

GreenYota

Reaction score
Thank you for asking us! I cannot stand it. I feel like I'm disrupting the neighbors whenever it goes off. Please give us the option to disable this. Those that want it can then keep it turned on. Would this be something we can have changed on our current trucks or would this only be for future trucks?

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
We’re up to 3 votes for loving it. I hope they are joking, but likely not. It’s the “warning label” world we live in.

At the end of the day the fact that society has gotten us to this place is the worst part. Who ever thought we needed this isn’t capable of living an adult life.

newmason

Reaction score
Absolutely HATE it along with my neighbors every morning when I walk out to warm up my truck at 4:45am!

jsalbre

Reaction score
We’re up to 3 votes for loving it. I hope they are joking, but likely not. It’s the “warning label” world we live in.

At the end of the day the fact that society has gotten us to this place is the worst part. Who ever thought we needed this isn’t capable of living an adult life.
I’d bet all 3 are either people who either don’t have trucks that do it, don’t have any idea what we’re talking about, or trolls.

Users who are viewing this thread