Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I swear I hit every button on the damn fob and couldn't get the alarm to shut off, even after it was running. I figured I finally hit some sequence that it liked. Seems like if you have a fob, it should be a bit easier to shut off. Alarms are a complete waste of juice anymore anyway. Nobody pays any attention to them anymore. When you hear one going off it's just like, oh, somebodys alarm is going off, sure wish they'd shut it off, it's annoying me.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
AFIK you can use AlfaOBD (maybe JScan) to disable the alarm.
So you can disable the alarm? I've had alarms for 30 years or more and don't recall ever having that much trouble getting one to shut off. I have zero confidence that the alarm will ever do anything positive for me so disabling it would be perfectly fine with me.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So you can disable the alarm? I've had alarms for 30 years or more and don't recall ever having that much trouble getting one to shut off. I have zero confidence that the alarm will ever do anything positive for me so disabling it would be perfectly fine with me.

Yes you can disable the VTA with AlfaOBD and JScan (found the setting this morning).

Blythkd1

Reaction score
And just to be clear, I wasn't saying that the alarm wasn't working as designed. I was just pissed because I have absolutely no use for them and it seemed nearly impossible at the time to get the damn thing shut off. I was about ready to pop the hood and pull the horn wire. I just don't get it, why the mfr won't allow us to disable a feature that we do not want. Alarms are worthless.

Christofo

Reaction score
I swear I hit every button on the damn fob and couldn't get the alarm to shut off, even after it was running. I figured I finally hit some sequence that it liked. Seems like if you have a fob, it should be a bit easier to shut off. Alarms are a complete waste of juice anymore anyway. Nobody pays any attention to them anymore. When you hear one going off it's just like, oh, somebodys alarm is going off, sure wish they'd shut it off, it's annoying me.
I triggered the alarm on my truck somehow and could NOT get it to turn off. It was in my closed garage and insanely loud, popped the hood and was about to disconnect the battery when I finally thought to hold the panic button and it turned off.

I tried unlocking/locking with the fob and the door switches - they worked as normal but didnt stop the alarm. I hopped in and it let me START THE TRUCK while the alarm was still going - still didn't stop. How dumb is that?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I triggered the alarm on my truck somehow and could NOT get it to turn off. It was in my closed garage and insanely loud, popped the hood and was about to disconnect the battery when I finally thought to hold the panic button and it turned off.

I tried unlocking/locking with the fob and the door switches - they worked as normal but didnt stop the alarm. I hopped in and it let me START THE TRUCK while the alarm was still going - still didn't stop. How dumb is that?

After the 3rd time accidentally triggering panic mod with the fob in my pocket I disabled it. I've never felt the need to use panic mode on any of my vehciles that have had it.

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
After the 3rd time accidentally triggering panic mod with the fob in my pocket I disabled it. I've never felt the need to use panic mode on any of my vehciles that have had it.
Yeah I could completely do without panic mode too. I've hit it many times over the years unintentionally but don't recall ever doing it on purpose. As worthless as the horn is on these trucks, might just as well unplug the damn thing. You can't "toot toot" at someone due to the dumbass delay and when you need it in a dangerous situation, by the time it actually starts making noise it might not even do any good. I wonder if a good ol lawsuit would prompt Ram to fix that delay BS? SMH.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Here's a good thread on the lazy horn issue. There's a post by our resident Ram wizard that explains the delay. I wonder if anyone has reported it to the NHTSA. If anything ever should have been a recall, this is it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I could completely do without panic mode too. I've hit it many times over the years unintentionally but don't recall ever doing it on purpose. As worthless as the horn is on these trucks, might just as well unplug the damn thing. You can't "toot toot" at someone due to the dumbass delay and when you need it in a dangerous situation, by the time it actually starts making noise it might not even do any good. I wonder if a good ol lawsuit would prompt Ram to fix that delay BS? SMH.

It’s what happens when the horn isn’t directly wired to the switch anymore. It’s infuriating, but not only a Ram issue.

I tried to do the toot toot 3 days ago, just sounded like a donkey hat.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Found this setting in a 2023 BCM using an updated version of CDA6 that covers up to 2025. This would be CustSetMenu 3 in AlfaOBD, which adds or removes on/off vehicle settings in the radio. Could be something, or could be nothing, but it is set on all the 2023 BCM configurations that I have. I’ll look into it.
Screenshot (40).jpeg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 Did you ever get a chance to look into that setting?
Nothing happens with it. It’s either not what I think it is, or it is, and they set it up in the BCM for 2023+, and the radio needs an update to support it.

kirk-35

Reaction score
Three horn chirp is the dumbest feature I’ve ever encountered on any vehicle. I’m pretty sure I can tell the engine is running without the horn going off.
At least Ram gave me the option to disable the rear seat alert.:cool:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
All you have to do is hold the key fob against the back window glass when you shut the door and it won’t beep. Its not as handy as being able to deactivate the feature (which we absolutely should have) but its a quick easy work around.

Users who are viewing this thread