Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 109 33.3%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 65.1%

• Total voters

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if there was an over the air update. On my 2020 I have left my key in the cup holder when I park in the garage and even in the driveway during the day. Never once has my truck did a 3 honk at me in over 30,000 miles and 2 1/2 years. yesterday I pulled in the garage shut it off jumped out shut the door the same way I have done since day one and lo and behold HONK HONK HONK.

That’s different, that happens when you try to lock it with the key fob in the vehicle.

What happens on the 22’s occurs with the engine running.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I'm glad mine is a 2021 but I've been around enough vehicles with the horn honk and it is very annoying and unneeded.

To me this is up there with the alert to check the back seats every time you turn off a new GM or Ford. If you forget about your kid, animal, or unicorn in the back, I think you have other issues.
Same here....just traded the 22 drw in on a 21 srw....I hopped out and it didn't honk...I was like **** yeah!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the great displeasure of experiencing this much loathed feature today while driving a loaner 2022 1500.

Parked in line at my Grandson's school waiting for pickup, I needed to exit the vehicle to tighten the car seat strap.

Guy in front of me must have thought I was an a** for honking at him 3 times when I exited the vehicle. What a terrible idea.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I had the great displeasure of experiencing this much loathed feature today while driving a loaner 2022 1500.

Parked in line at my Grandson's school waiting for pickup, I needed to exit the vehicle to tighten the car seat strap.

Guy in front of me must have thought I was an a** for honking at him 3 times when I exited the vehicle. What a terrible idea.
Yep, stupid ideas are never anything more than stupid ideas, no matter how hard someone tries to justify them. Seems to be a way of life these days.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Here's a thought:

1.How about make all the horn honking when we don't want it, actually optional so the driver can disable it?

2. Make the horn actually honk when we tell it to, rather than when it finally gets around to it.

I'll never understand that one. 100 years ago the horn in a $400 car honked when you hit it. Now an $80k truck has a delay when you hit the horn.

jebruns

Reaction score
Now an $80k truck has a delay when you hit the horn.
Does it? I guess I've not honked the horn yet in my 4 month old truck. I'll have to give that a try.

131 to 4. Rare to see a poll so lopsided. Hopefully the next uConnect update will have an option to shut this feature down.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it? I guess I've not honked the horn yet in my 4 month old truck. I'll have to give that a try.

Horribly.

Not sure when it started, by my ‘18 was the same way.

Basically instead of the horn switch activating the horn it tells the computer you want the horn, then the computer closes a circuit and what seems like an eternity later it goes off.

It’s really annoying tying to get a quick horn honk it, like a wake up call or a chirp to say hi to someone.

Pearce

Reaction score
Horribly.

Basically instead of the horn switch activating the horn it tells the computer you want the horn, then the computer closes a circuit and what seems like an eternity later it goes off.

It’s really annoying tying to get a quick horn honk it, like a wake up call or a chirp to say hi to someone.
It is different I agree. In this one it's not possible to just give a little bump horn to wake up the person in front of you at a green light.

ClawSS

Reaction score
I wonder why they would route the horn through the BCM. I mean my GMs in the past would honk once when I locked the car, thus showing that the vehicle can honk with a relay without full BCM control....and therefore I was still able to do a quick <toot-toot> at someone with a quick flex of the wrist.
Now I just don't do it due to getting a 1sec blast of WTF! or I get nothing at all when I try a light tap.

Yes, this is not the OP poll, but still.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder why they would route the horn through the BCM. I mean my GMs in the past would honk once when I locked the car, thus showing that the vehicle can honk with a relay without full BCM control....and therefore I was still able to do a quick <toot-toot> at someone with a quick flex of the wrist.
Now I just don't do it due to getting a 1sec blast of WTF! or I get nothing at all when I try a light tap.

Yes, this is not the OP poll, but still.

Complete guess, but I would think it happened when the VISM was released for ease of control. It should be dual controlled thou.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Horribly.

My 17 wrangler is the same way....if you try to do the friendly beep beep at a light you end up not honking or sounding like a jerk....

ClawSS

Reaction score
View attachment 50788
Bunch of people irritated by a feature because they’re worried it annoys others around them, but complain that they can’t do the quick friendly honk…. that probably annoys others around them…
Maybe....I guess. The 3-honk is an annoyance to me. There is a southern thing involved in the friendly honk thing when leaving, tho.

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Don't know if someone had already mentioned it, but I was taught the universal distress signal was three of any sound. 3 gun shots... 3 whistles... 3 honks...

occowboy

Reaction score
You need to make it so that it can be disabled. To be frank, it's annoying.

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Maybe we could get Uconnect version 26.18 with the only change being to disable this horn feature???

Users who are viewing this thread