Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: Stellantis Recalls 131,177 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups & Chassis Cabs For Fire Risk!

Combra6589

Reaction score

Combra6589

Reaction score
Thats great, Called my dealer and they now see the repair procedure 17 pages worth that was not there this am, but no part number? shows sealant to be applied ? Is there truly another part or just more sealant?
Did you get a update from your dealer? Mine refuses to believe me that @RamCares has a fix . Salesman now won’t reply and service manager won’t touch anything until ram tells them to

Combra6589

Reaction score
Spoke to my dealer. This isn’t a repair at all. Only for vehicles that passed the initial test. So yet again I’m screwed . Ram literally sucks . Get these damn engineers on the phone to get these parts replaced

senecagreen

Reaction score
I bought my 2021 2500 Tradesman Oct 13. The build date is 07/21. I called the dealer today and asked about the recall. The fix for now is to look at the relay and put the silicone on the back if it doesn't already have it. Then when the new part is avaliable and the dealer has it they will schedule a new appt. and replace it. I looked at mine today for peace of mind. It already has the silicone on the back of it. That must have been done during assembly. I feel comfortable driving it till the dealer gets the new part and can install it. My relay is the 169AB

Attachments

• 20211026_113855.jpg
    20211026_113855.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 50

Will_T

Reaction score
@senecagreen Thanks! That really helps. I have the AA with only the tape. Knowing what the temporary fix is and that the real fix will come later when a new relay is available makes me more comfortable with my plan. I have disconnected the relay. I will not mess around with temporary inspections and remedies but will wait until the replacement is available and then schedule to have it done.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Thats great, Called my dealer and they now see the repair procedure 17 pages worth that was not there this am, but no part number? shows sealant to be applied ? Is there truly another part or just more sealant?
Hi steverud0121,
For recall Y76, your dealer is going to perform a test. The results of that test are going to determine parts required for a repair.

Rob
Ram Cares

Worf_359

Reaction score
Hi steverud0121,
For recall Y76, your dealer is going to perform a test. The results of that test are going to determine parts required for a repair.

Rob
Ram Cares
Why not return to the tried-and-true mechanical relay, since it's going to be hard for customers to trust the current solid state relay?

I get that the mechanical relay may have a shorter lifespan, but I'll gladly take that over the truck burning down. (And possibly taking the house, another vehicle, or somebody with it.)

CdnHO

Reaction score
Why not return to the tried-and-true mechanical relay, since it's going to be hard for customers to trust the current solid state relay?

I get that the mechanical relay may have a shorter lifespan, but I'll gladly take that over the truck burning down. (And possibly taking the house, another vehicle, or somebody with it.)
The relay on my 2003 lasted until I sold the truck 19 years after I bought the truck. Not sure if the mechanical relay from a 2019 will work on a 2021.

Worf_359

Reaction score
The relay on my 2003 lasted until I sold the truck 19 years after I bought the truck. Not sure if the mechanical relay from a 2019 will work on a 2021.
After hearing the heater continues to cycle on and off once the engine is running and air temps are below a certain point, my guess is the newer trucks were killing the relay faster. (Provided that isn't also the case on the old trucks, but cycling on and off during warmup sound emissions-y to me.)

That, or some project manager has a raise or bonus tied to mean time between failures. Either way, I'm prioritizing self-engineering a relay retrofit if Ram's too blind to do so.

RamDog

Reaction score
What a disaster. "Park your vehicle outside and away from structures" until fixed.

Fires can result if the ignition is in the ON or OFF position.

Sounds like they're spontaneously combustible!

SMH
If you have the MOPAR app for your truck, it will show up their. Mine did.

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
@senecagreen Thanks! That really helps. I have the AA with only the tape. Knowing what the temporary fix is and that the real fix will come later when a new relay is available makes me more comfortable with my plan. I have disconnected the relay. I will not mess around with temporary inspections and remedies but will wait until the replacement is available and then schedule to have it done.
I have the AB, but this is my plan as well. Mine's disco'd and will remain that way until the mud around this clears up. I'll not be the guinea pig for the temporary repairs. I'm in the foothills of NC, so our temps don't get below 20 very often during the winter. If I need it i'll connect it till the truck warms up and then disconnect it again.

Worf_359

Reaction score
Ordered the 2019 relay.

Relay - 68393978AB
Nuts (x2) - 6035723
Cable - 68360691AD (This looks to be the right one, will update if it's not.)

After 15 years of doing all my own work, this was supposed to be the truck I was going to let the dealer take care of...course if FCA wants to stick with these risky solid state relays, I'm going to be stuck doing things myself. Again.

Last edited:

Combra6589

Reaction score
Ordered the 2019 relay.

Relay - 68393978AB
Nuts (x2) - 6035723

After 15 years of doing all my own work, this was supposed to be the truck I was going to let the dealer take care of...course if FCA wants to stick with these risks solid state relays, I'm going to be stuck doing things myself. Again.
Where did you get it from?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Ordered the 2019 relay.

Relay - 68393978AB
Nuts (x2) - 6035723

After 15 years of doing all my own work, this was supposed to be the truck I was going to let the dealer take care of...course if FCA wants to stick with these risky solid state relays, I'm going to be stuck doing things myself. Again.

Smart move.. i'll do the same if need be. Let us know how it all works out.

Worf_359

Reaction score
Where did you get it from?
Online Mopar parts dealer, whose location lined up with a semi-local dealership.

I'm going to be in touch with my dealership about getting this sorted, I'd have ordered the parts through them but I don't want them knowing my backup plan, yet.

Combra6589

Reaction score
Online Mopar parts dealer, whose location lined up with a semi-local dealership.

I'm going to be in touch with my dealership about getting this sorted, I'd have ordered the parts through them but I don't want them knowing my backup plan, yet.
I called them. They told me they can’t them because stellantis are putting a hold on them. Im literally screwed. I need that relay more than anyone on here. My truck is being held at my dealer until a new relay arrives. 5/2022 eta

Worf_359

Reaction score
I wonder if the hold is someone wising up and realizing they need to retrofit the old mechanical relays as the fix, instead of taking another shot in the dark on fixing the SSRs.

Combra, I'm guessing you're SOL if the truck is on the lot, they're not going to retrofit the relay unless FCA tells them they can. Is your truck a new order, or did they "take" it because of the recall? (The latter is one of the things I'll be discussing with my dealership.)

Combra6589

Reaction score
I wonder if the hold is someone wising up and realizing they need to retrofit the old mechanical relays as the fix, instead of taking another shot in the dark on fixing the SSRs.

Combra, I'm guessing you're SOL if the truck is on the lot, they're not going to retrofit the relay unless FCA tells them they can. Is your truck a new order, or did they "take" it because of the recall? (The latter is one of the things I'll be discussing with my dealership.)
It’s a 22 order . Failed relay test . My dealer was told that they need to try a new relay and retest yet no warehouses have any. Ram told me this morning that the are back ordered until may

CdnHO

Reaction score
Ordered the 2019 relay.

Relay - 68393978AB
Nuts (x2) - 6035723

Look like the plug for the control wiring might be the same as on 2021 trucks. Be interesting to know if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread