Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: Stellantis Recalls 131,177 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups & Chassis Cabs For Fire Risk!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

RECALL: Stellantis Recalls 131,177 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups & Chassis Cabs For Fire Risk!​

Cummins-Powered Models Could Experience Engine Compartment Fire...​

RM019_107TFtjgoikm0hio4nj18fhnph6r6so.jpg

Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling 131,177 units of its 2021 to 2022 Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty pickups and Ram 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab trucks equipped with the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine, due to the risk of fire. According to the recall, the engine can experience an engine compartment fire originating from the Solid State Intake Heater Grid Relay.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkempken

Reaction score

RECALL: Stellantis Recalls 131,177 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups & Chassis Cabs For Fire Risk!​

Cummins-Powered Models Could Experience Engine Compartment Fire...​

RM019_107TFtjgoikm0hio4nj18fhnph6r6so.jpg

Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling 131,177 units of its 2021 to 2022 Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty pickups and Ram 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab trucks equipped with the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine, due to the risk of fire. According to the recall, the engine can experience an engine compartment fire originating from the Solid State Intake Heater Grid Relay.

Is it only the 2021 MY or also the 2020 MY. My truck was built September 2020 and is a MY2020. According to the build date mine would fit in that range but not according to the Model year designation.

VIN3C63R3PL8LG279595
Order Date8/12/2020
D1 - Scheduled to be built8/26/2020
KZ - Released by Plant9/28/2020
KZX - delivered to dealer11/12/2020

gimmie11s

Reaction score
What a disaster. "Park your vehicle outside and away from structures" until fixed.

Fires can result if the ignition is in the ON or OFF position.

Sounds like they're spontaneously combustible!

SMH

CdnHO

Reaction score
This is just nuts. Now the ones that were fixed in the last recall aren't really fixed at all. They should just go back to the old tried and true mechanical solenoids.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Here is a website owners can use to check if their truck has an open recall.

My truck does not have the fire hazard recall listed, only the lug nut recall as of today. If i remember right, my truck was built at the beginning of May 2021.

Last edited:

jkempken

Reaction score
Here is a website owners can use to check if their truck has an open recall.

My truck does not have the fire hazard recall listed, only the lug nut recall as of today. If i remember right, my truck was built at the beginning of May 2021.
Thanks, I didn't notice my vehicle had a Recall on the list but the way the article is worded has me confused and worried. It states "Ram 3500 (D2) Pickups built between August 5th, 2020 and October 8th, 2021 (39,324 units)". My truck was built September 2020 so I would fall in the range.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
Just checked mine. Ordered February 24th, 2021 and delivered May 12th. No current recalls on this VIN. My VIN was outside of the original relay recall also.

I looked at the back of the relays after delivery and they looked to have a very cleanly applied sealer, like factory applied and not added as an after thought. I still may disconnect them as a precaution though.

Will_T

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't notice my vehicle had a Recall on the list but the way the article is worded has me confused and worried. It states "Ram 3500 (D2) Pickups built between August 5th, 2020 and October 8th, 2021 (39,324 units)". My truck was built September 2020 so I would fall in the range.

If I remember correctly from the original thread after I had ordered my truck, back then it was not all trucks within that range, just some. Like you, the wording of the article confuses me. Not sure if it has now been expanded to include all "Ram 3500 (D2) Pickups built between August 5th, 2020 and October 8th, 2021 (39,324 units)" or not?

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
Quick update. I just checked my VIN again tonight, and now my truck is subject to the recall. Interesting that when my truck was on order, it had the final fix applied before the build/delivery, with no delays in delivery time. Also, my notice says that the parts are available now and I can schedule the repairs any time. The press release said no fix was available yet, and we would be notified in December about the recall. Not sure what to believe. I am definitely going to disconnect the relays this weekend.

Will_T

Reaction score
Quick update. I just checked my VIN again tonight, and now my truck is subject to the recall. Interesting that when my truck was on order, it had the final fix applied before the build/delivery, with no delays in delivery time. Also, my notice says that the parts are available now and I can schedule the repairs any time. The press release said no fix was available yet, and we would be notified in December about the recall. Not sure what to believe. I am definitely going to disconnect the relays this weekend.
Same for me. Was clear, now included in recall. I posted in the older thread also as I searched through that trying to see exactly where in the engine compartment to find the grid heater. I have looked and did not see it yet.

Last edited:

Lary0071

Reaction score
3C63RRKL1NG120317

Yep, I am part of the recall as well. My truck is still resting in Mexico so maybe while they are letting it tan in the sun they will fix it... you know.... since they never got it moving on a train for over 2 weeks since it went to shipping status.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
On the phone with my local service department and they confirmed that there is a new part number. However, he then contacted his parts department, and the parts manager said no parts would be available until February 2022.

Both the service department and parts manager said that this recall is so new, that they just received info on it today. It may take some time to get the true status of the repair and what it will include.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

R.J.

Reaction score
Mine is included.

What exactly is wrong? The relay itself getting stuck or shorting?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is just nuts. Now the ones that were fixed in the last recall aren't really fixed at all. They should just go back to the old tried and true mechanical solenoids.
Sounds like that would be the best fix just swap an older grid heater relay in for us cold weather folks and just delete the grid heater for the southern folks who don't use it anyway…. Or perhaps they will try and fail with a 3rd attempt at the solid state setup……

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
My 22 is affected. Going to disconnect the grid heater this afternoon. Hopefully no combustion takes place outside the cylinders till then..

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Alright I think I have some info to share. I really think FCA has no idea what trucks are really affected. Called two different dealers, one had no info on it and the other said they have parts ready to go. Talked to their parts department and funny enough - they won't give me part numbers so looked it up online.

Go out and check your numbers. If your relay shows 169AB, that is the new relay that replaces 169AA according to moparfactoryparts.com

I already have 169AB but still fall under the recall. I bet they will verify then mark it resolved. The relay is easily visible under the intake tube pretty far down.

InkedPXL_20211025_133332726_LI.jpg

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Mine is included.

What exactly is wrong? The relay itself getting stuck or shorting?

Shorting. The dealer I talked to that had info, had a truck catch fire when it engaged on a cold morning the first go 'round with this recall. Guy had a hose nearby and put it out right away. Still caused $18k in damages but they fixed it.

agtcovert

Reaction score
Alright I think I have some info to share. I really think FCA has no idea what trucks are really affected. Called two different dealers, one had no info on it and the other said they have parts ready to go. Talked to their parts department and funny enough - they won't give me part numbers so looked it up online.

Go out and check your numbers. If your relay shows 169AB, that is the new relay that replaces 169AA according to moparfactoryparts.com

I already have 169AB but still fall under the recall. I bet they will verify then mark it resolved. The relay is easily visible under the intake tube pretty far down.

View attachment 24187
Yeah, I looked at my 22 yesterday and saw 169AB. I have a service appointment Nov. 2 for 'inspection' -- I guess after that they'll decide if I need parts or not.

Users who are viewing this thread