Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: Stellantis Recalls 131,177 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups & Chassis Cabs For Fire Risk!

Worf_359

Reaction score
I'm somewhat concerned about how the heater may cycle on/off after the engine starts, and the duration of those cycles. Relays have duty cycles, if FCA did anything as dumb as PWM to try and control temps that relay isn't going to last long.

Can anyone confirm if the relay-based 2019 trucks perform that cycling function? Otherwise once the relay arrives and gets installed I'll just try and see how often it cycles.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm somewhat concerned about how the heater may cycle on/off after the engine starts, and the duration of those cycles. Relays have duty cycles, if FCA did anything as dumb as PWM to try and control temps that relay isn't going to last long.

Can anyone confirm if the relay-based 2019 perform that cycling function? Otherwise once the relay arrives and gets installed I'll just try and see how often it cycles.

They all do (cycle). My 04.5 did, for 16 years (though it was low mileage).

With the emissions, the newer trucks probably cycle more/longer to reduce emissions.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
My 2007 cycled a lot on cold mornings. My lights would dim quite a bit as my batteries got older. My wife asked me why I was flashing my lights at her when she was leaving LOL

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
My 2007 cycled a lot on cold mornings. My lights would dim quite a bit as my batteries got older. My wife asked me why I was flashing my lights at her when she was leaving LOL
Ya my 05 would dim lights and the heater fan would slow to a crawl just when you needed defrost :(. You should have told the wife to flash you instead!;)

Worf_359

Reaction score
None of that sounds like it'll be an issue, as all those trucks have mechanical relays. My concern is specifically that the 2020-2022 trucks have PWM or some crazy cycle not found on the 2019's specifically.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
None of that sounds like it'll be an issue, as all those trucks have mechanical relays. My concern is specifically that the 2020-2022 trucks have PWM or some crazy cycle not found on the 2019's specifically.

As posted already, my 2020 has a conventional electromechanical relay and looks to be the same wire connector.

Another member used AlfaOBD to perform a relay cycle test and it "clicked" to on. I'd almost bet you could meter those two wires and find +12V and ground. This isn't LED or some other LIN bus push button voodoo. It's a 200A current draw through a silicon device with some of them manufactured incorrectly.

Worf_359

Reaction score
As posted already, my 2020 has a conventional electromechanical relay and looks to be the same wire connector.

Another member used AlfaOBD to perform a relay cycle test and it "clicked" to on. I'd almost bet you could meter those two wires and find +12V and ground. This isn't LED or some other LIN bus push button voodoo. It's a 200A current draw through a silicon device with some of them manufactured incorrectly.

Probably. Sadly my OBD scantool doesn't have an option to trigger the cold start heater on this truck.

Last edited:

senecagreen

Reaction score
I have an appt. Monday to get my relay checked. I will try to get the details of the tests they perform and why.

Combra6589

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any FCA recall paperwork that says 68444169ab is the remedy if the y76 relay test fails? Ram cares is absolutely useless so Isnt my case manager. My dealer has a new 68444169ab relay but they want ram to give them the ok to install it to cover their ass. It’s been a nightmare to get ram to do their job. If they can’t get a okay my truck will sit for months in the dealer lot

agtcovert

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any FCA recall paperwork that says 68444169ab is the remedy if the y76 relay test fails? Ram cares is absolutely useless so Isnt my case manager. My dealer has a new 68444169ab relay but they want ram to give them the ok to install it to cover their ass. It’s been a nightmare to get ram to do their job. If they can’t get a okay my truck will sit for months in the dealer lot
Don't think it helps you directly, but I know this has been really frustrating for you: https://www.moparpartsonsale.com/oem-parts/mopar-relay-68444169ab <-- that indicates AB replaces AA. AB is on my 22, it's getting tested next week (or sooner, if I hook up AlphaOBD this weekend). If AB has issues, perhaps there's a batch that is bad and they replace with the same part number, but known good via testing or different batch.

Y76 letter does not mention any other part number that I see, just to create a STAR case if the test fails.

dsneill

Reaction score
I have an appt. Monday to get my relay checked. I will try to get the details of the tests they perform and why.
I ask my dealer about it today my undelivered 3500 is included in recall. It should be here next week he told me they check what relay is there and replace if it’s the defective one they have them in stock

Combra6589

Reaction score
Don't think it helps you directly, but I know this has been really frustrating for you: https://www.moparpartsonsale.com/oem-parts/mopar-relay-68444169ab <-- that indicates AB replaces AA. AB is on my 22, it's getting tested next week (or sooner, if I hook up AlphaOBD this weekend). If AB has issues, perhaps there's a batch that is bad and they replace with the same part number, but known good via testing or different batch.

Y76 letter does not mention any other part number that I see, just to create a STAR case if the test fails.
If you call them they will tell you no parts available I called them yesterday to get one overnighted. Stellantis halted all availability. I literally called every wholesale parts depot. Brv10 helped me yesterday and there’s about 8 nationwide at dealers. Yet again my dealer would rather see my truck rot in place . The case manager was so arrogant today and said there’s no parts so there’s nothing you can do to get it released. Just blows my mind out of hundreds of trucks hitting dealers mine is the only one to be held

Combra6589

Reaction score
I ask my dealer about it today my undelivered 3500 is included in recall. It should be here next week he told me they check what relay is there and replace if it’s the defective one they have them stock.
Like why can’t my dealer simply do this. It’s so blown out of proportion it’s sickening.

BlueJay

Reaction score
My guess for the “no parts available” message is that they are going back to the mechanical relay.

Users who are viewing this thread