Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: Stellantis Recalls 131,177 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups & Chassis Cabs For Fire Risk!

Nd79

Reaction score
I think it is a manufacturing defect rather than a design defect but time will tell. I have no idea what kind of QA tests or checks they do to the relay before it is shipped to RAM. Obviously a run of relays got into the field that should have been caught in house. If it is a design flaw like the CP4 pumps then a replacement design should come in the future and we can all upgrade to that. Hopefully if it comes to that it will be plug and play. Who has the most miles on the original relay? One guy at work has 14,000 already on his 21 3500 DRW and so far no issues. He is scheduled to go in for the recall test soon. Has anyone on the forum had a fire?
As far as milage mine just turned over 17,000 miles. '21 3500. Can't remember exact engine hrs but somewhere in the 700 range. 500ish driving/200ish idle time. Mine has been running the grid heat cycle most mornings for the last month or so and early last spring a lot.

mcspeed

Reaction score
HELP! My 2020 RAM 3500 Dually with Cummins 6.7 HD with only 6,100 miles on it literally spontaneously caught fire as I was driving it last night and burned to the ground! I had to park it quickly and jump out to avoid being burned alive! I'm towing it (what's left of it) to the dealer this morning. I pray that FCA will take responsibility for this! The sale dealer had literally just offered to buy my truck for $82K--as I was driving home from this dealer, that's when it caught fire! I'm still traumatized! Any advice appreciated!

Wow that hurts. Glad you are okay and it didn’t burn your garage/house down. Let us know what happens and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieL

Reaction score
HELP! My 2020 RAM 3500 Dually with Cummins 6.7 HD with only 6,100 miles on it literally spontaneously caught fire as I was driving it last night and burned to the ground! I had to park it quickly and jump out to avoid being burned alive! I'm towing it (what's left of it) to the dealer this morning. I pray that FCA will take responsibility for this! The sale dealer had literally just offered to buy my truck for $82K--as I was driving home from this dealer, that's when it caught fire! I'm still traumatized! Any advice appreciated!
Incredible! Glad you are alright. Had the recall been done on your truck?

Will_T

Reaction score
@RAM_Dude So sorry this happened to you but as others said at least you escaped physically if not mentally unharmed. As far as I remember this is the first, first hand account of a fire likely caused by the grid heater relay. As they try to determine the cause, it will be interesting to see if they tell you what relay you had. Do you know when your truck was manufactured or have the VIN?

What a traumatic experience that could have been much worse! I hope FCA quickly makes good on this for you.

Will_T

Reaction score
He said he has a 2020 3500. Isn’t that a different type relay then what is in the 21?
I am pretty sure that I read that some of the late 2020s have the issue although this recall does not seem to list any 2020s. Perhaps the earlier recall that I am less familiar with included 2020 trucks? Knowing when his truck was built would determine if it is within the range of either recall.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Your truck does not have the type of relay that is recalled, or that could catch fire. Does your truck have the 68rfe transmission? There was a recall on those for 2019-2020 that could expel trans fluid and cause a fire.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Holy crap man not good!!!

2001WS6

Reaction score

Holy ****! So sorry for what happened to your truck!

Glad you didn't get hurt and glad you weren't home at the time.

Worf_359

Reaction score
To follow up, my truck had the temperature test performed by the dealer on Friday, and the AB relay passed.

The mechanical relay I ordered also arrived, may look into installing that this week, if I have time.

Will_T

Reaction score
Saw that my notice is in today's mail so I guess they sent out the hard copies. I imagine the dealers will now get loaded with phone calls and appointments. As dealers do more and more of the recalls, maybe some further information will come out about exactly what is causing the relays to fail and how the test determines the relay will be good for years to come vs. good just right at the moment.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi @RAM_Dude ,
We’re very sorry to hear that this happened to you. Please follow up with us via PM at your earliest convenience so we can have this looked into further for you.

Rob
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread