Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Got it back Tuesday afternoon. I think the truck is a little more responsive from a stop, and the fuel mileage went up a little bit.
Went to the dealer Monday said it should be a few weeks then make appointment for install. Got my fingers crossed. Congrats on yours.

Nick

Reaction score
Dropped my 2020 off this morning. Hoping it'll be done by tomorrow afternoon. SA set the expectation that they'd need it for "2 days" but I'm hoping that's just overestimating the job's time.
2 days seems about average. Thats how long they had mine and others .

TigerRP

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 Standard output with the 68Rfe transmission. Mine has been done for 3 weeks. I towed my fifth wheel (14500 lbs) on a three hour trip. The engine is definitely more powerful. Power comes on hard and stays steady until I get up to speed. Very smooth.

Fuel Mileage has been about the same with 19-20 in combined driving and 11 mpg towing. I’m very pleased with the change.

Anybody put the new pump stock on a dino? It feels better than my 2018 HO. Also I’m using Power Kleen as an additive, should I keep doing that additive?

Thanks for any thoughts!

cummins2020

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 Standard output with the 68Rfe transmission. Mine has been done for 3 weeks. I towed my fifth wheel (14500 lbs) on a three hour trip. The engine is definitely more powerful. Power comes on hard and stays steady until I get up to speed. Very smooth.

Fuel Mileage has been about the same with 19-20 in combined driving and 11 mpg towing. I’m very pleased with the change.

Anybody put the new pump stock on a dino? It feels better than my 2018 HO. Also I’m using Power Kleen as an additive, should I keep doing that additive?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Just my thoughts, but I would continue to use additive. This diesel fuel now is sorry at best! Just my thoughts.

akamac

Reaction score
I was hoping for better news...
Just had my truck towed back to Dealer. New pump is thumping and clicking like a VP44.
160 miles since repair. No towing.
I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was hoping for better news...
Just had my truck towed back to Dealer. New pump is thumping and clicking like a VP44.
160 miles since repair. No towing.
I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.
Im gonna assume/hope its a dealer mess up not an issue with the new pumps

akamac

Reaction score
Well harbinger of bad news I am.
SA called and Tech advised lifter or engine.
Engines are long term and lifters are short term waiting list.
Can't explain the high boost after HP pump replacement and they can't tear it apart until Tuesday.
Just a heads up for you guys taking truck in for replacement. Moniter boost pressure before and after the job.
I'm without truck for at least a week.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Can't explain the high boost after HP pump replacement and they can't tear it apart until Tuesday.
Just a heads up for you guys taking truck in for replacement. Moniter boost pressure before and after the job.
Thats gotta be coincidence as the pump swap would not cause that

cummins2020

Reaction score
Are you running 15/40wt or 10/30wt oil in your Cummins???

akamac

Reaction score
Well I talked to a local guy and got some good news from him. The noise is not an engine noise but a fuel pressure regulator failure. I can only hope that the Tech tests the changes made before failure as the root cause. The boost #'s I was seeing are a symptom of the failure. 2PSI going down hill with 0 throttle input, high boost low MPG's at normal operating parameters.
Thanks for the concern about the oil situation, but new pump new failure at 160~200 miles seems like the answer.
I'll post as the situation develops.

KiowaWarrior RAM

Reaction score
Just my thoughts, but I would continue to use additive. This diesel fuel now is sorry at best! Just my thoughts.
What additive do you use? I used x3p, Lucas & trying amsoil. All have cetacean boost, lubricant. But the amsoil seems to clean injectors. Just interested

Users who are viewing this thread