Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Seriously, you don't think I know that H3LZNSN1P3R? This how you folks run here. Semantics used for brevity.
Out a here, bye
By what you said it did sound like you didnt know, no need to jump up in arms…

KiowaWarrior RAM

Reaction score
After carefully reading all these post, I contacted my Alabama dealer and made an appointment (to record the Engine serial number). I was patient, polite & respectful… until the service manager replied ”are you going to leave it with us”... I promptly said NO! It’s only a 5 minute job… so please hurry! So thanks for all the reads… hopefully I’ll get my replacement before it explodes... Good Day!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Odd how so many 19s are slipping through though perhaps since this was released things have changed?

I don't know and not going to speculate any more unless someone posts another doc or reliable communication. Seems some dealers are getting away with it somehow or got in under the wire before STAR cut them off. So far, everyone that's been turned away has said they were told Sep.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I just asked my service writer about the recall, (my 2019) and was told now its Sept., maybe.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I wonder what is so different about the 19 and 20 models? I would have figured they would have started with 2019 models first, then 2020..Guess they have their reasons.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
So guys i havent read every page and been away for awhile. Took my 2020 in today, recorded engine S/n and schedualed another recall and 2 warranty (seatbelt/batteries)repairs. The service rep says they can no longer order kits to do cp4 and there not sure why. Said they were authorized 2 per week i think and they just completed there first actual recall replacement (took them a full 2 days) but now can not even order parts. I am on list and guessed list was atlesst 8 weeks if they could order parts so he's not even sure when it will be for me. I need this done by mid august as i am on road sept-mid december and in REMOTE locations so i hope they figure this out soon. Anyone hear anything about problems with ordering kits for 20s? I am going to see what they have figured out in a week when i go in for other appointment.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So guys i havent read every page and been away for awhile. Took my 2020 in today, recorded engine S/n and schedualed another recall and 2 warranty (seatbelt/batteries)repairs. The service rep says they can no longer order kits to do cp4 and there not sure why. Said they were authorized 2 per week i think and they just completed there first actual recall replacement (took them a full 2 days) but now can not even order parts. I am on list and guessed list was atlesst 8 weeks if they could order parts so he's not even sure when it will be for me. I need this done by mid august as i am on road sept-mid december and in REMOTE locations so i hope they figure this out soon. Anyone hear anything about problems with ordering kits for 20s? I am going to see what they have figured out in a week when i go in for other appointment.
You will be fine in remote locations…

Nick

Reaction score
Not that this changes your situation but l have friend that full time rv’s moving all the time 60 plus thousand and no problem . My 2020 we just came back from a 5 thousand mile trip not counting the others and it ran great 30 k . Don’t loose sleep over it , just drive it !

Randyhut

Reaction score
I am calling BS on the you will be fine in REMOTE areas! My truck MAY be an exception, but it started missing at times to the point that it would only go 25-45 mph sometimes! (ran good otherwise)TRY getting on an interstate at 45mph with the flashers on! This went on from April thru June - i don't drive my truck a lot now. It is in for a new pump now and they are having to replace everything, both kits. i won't know if this cures it's woes for sure for a week or so. NO WAY IN HELL i would have taken that truck very far from home at all! 50k lemon with 29k miles
My last Cummins, 1995 model, ran for 300k in 18 years, was never down for anything major, except a Transmission rebuild at about 180k - This one may be short lived, if it doesn't get fixed.
I NEVER dreamed that Cummins would put the CP4 in anything with as much issue as Chevy and Ford had with them, so i didn't research it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am calling BS on the you will be fine in REMOTE areas! My truck MAY be an exception, but it started missing at times to the point that it would only go 25-45 mph sometimes! (ran good otherwise)TRY getting on an interstate at 45mph with the flashers on! This went on from April thru June - i don't drive my truck a lot now. It is in for a new pump now and they are having to replace everything, both kits. i won't know if this cures it's woes for sure for a week or so. NO WAY IN HELL i would have taken that truck very far from home at all! 50k lemon with 29k miles
My last Cummins, 1995 model, ran for 300k in 18 years, was never down for anything major, except a Transmission rebuild at about 180k - This one may be short lived, if it doesn't get fixed.
I NEVER dreamed that Cummins would put the CP4 in anything with as much issue as Chevy and Ford had with them, so i didn't research it.
4% failure rate according to ram ill take those odds and not live in fear of the unknown… you could get hit by a drunk driver at any time does that mean you should stop driving.

Thats my take on it personally i dont have an issue when i go remote areas but you are free to do as you please with your own truck!

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
PLEASE keep the discussions related to the Y78 recall.

You can "quote' a post and start another thread if you like, then insert the quote. There are also several other "failure" threads that the reliability or failure issues can be discussed in.

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
I called the dealer in Missoula Montana yesterday to get my 2020 scheduled for the "inspection ". The SA told me parts would take 6 months to get! Are they full of it? I am a FT RV'er and will head south for the winter in November so that really doesn't work.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I called the dealer in Missoula Montana yesterday to get my 2020 scheduled for the "inspection ". The SA told me parts would take 6 months to get! Are they full of it? I am a FT RV'er and will head south for the winter in November so that really doesn't work.
The SA is incompetent. Call their Service Manager

Millmutt

Reaction score
W

I purchased my truck from a good sized dealer in the Denver metro area where I reside. I called on May 10th or 11th I don’t recall which day for the inspection. My appointment was on May 23. When I asked my place in line at the time of the inspection I was 22nd. I checked a couple of days ago and I have moved to 18th. It’s no big deal, it’s gets done sooner or later.

I guess my point is there is no special accommodation for one’s occupation or living arrangement. And to suggest the SA is incompetent because you were told it may take 6 months for the repair is a bit far reaching.
That’s life.

John Jensen

Reaction score
W

I purchased my truck from a good sized dealer in the Denver metro area where I reside. I called on May 10th or 11th I don’t recall which day for the inspection. My appointment was on May 23. When I asked my place in line at the time of the inspection I was 22nd. I checked a couple of days ago and I have moved to 18th. It’s no big deal, it’s gets done sooner or later.

I guess my point is there is no special accommodation for one’s occupation or living arrangement. And to suggest the SA is incompetent because you were told it may take 6 months for the repair is a bit far reaching.
That’s life.
I'm glad you got your inspection (that initiates parts ordering) in 2 or 3 days.
I really don't need your criticism. Maybe you should re-read what was said.

The poster said, "The SA told me parts would take 6 months to get!" That's not true! SA should have explained they have a six month wait for the inspection, if that's the situation. That said, I don't believe any dealer has a six month wait for the inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread