Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

EK701

Reaction score
@RamCares I am trying to get the Y78 recall done on my 2020 3500 SRW Limited 6.7HO, but my local dealer says “parts are not available” but he put me on a waiting list with 105 vehicles ahead of me. He said it likely would not be until late 2023 before they would have parts available.

I find this completely unacceptable, especially regarding a safety recall. There needs to be a much faster resolution to this problem.

Any assistance in this matter is appreciated.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
@RamCares I am trying to get the Y78 recall done on my 2020 3500 SRW Limited 6.7HO, but my local dealer says “parts are not available” but he put me on a waiting list with 105 vehicles ahead of me. He said it likely would not be until late 2023 before they would have parts available.

I find this completely unacceptable, especially regarding a safety recall. There needs to be a much faster resolution to this problem.

A new dealer who has a clue would be faster

cummins2020

Reaction score

Parts should be available much sooner than that, but they are only allotted so many pumps per month and the wait list for some dealers is longer than others. You might try other dealers in your area to see how long their lists are and sign up with them. Bosch cant keep up with the demand. Hang tough and good luck to you!!!

Highcountry

Reaction score
I called to make an appointment June 6th. They said they'd get parts ordered, but after not hearing anything I called last week. They tell me parts are ordered, but they're only allotted one kit per week. I can see where Ram doesn't want the parts stockpiled somewhere not being used, but this recall is going to take forever. At least with a recall we know it's covered if there's a problem, but I sure don't want to deal with that. Hopefully they get them soon, my truck's unavailable September thru November.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I called to make an appointment June 6th. They said they'd get parts ordered, but after not hearing anything I called last week. They tell me parts are ordered, but they're only allotted one kit per week. I can see where Ram doesn't want the parts stockpiled somewhere not being used, but this recall is going to take forever. At least with a recall we know it's covered if there's a problem, but I sure don't want to deal with that. Hopefully they get them soon, my truck's unavailable September thru November.
Had the same concerns. So glad my great Service Manager got mine replaced early on 5/22

Last edited:

steve49

Reaction score
My guess Ram is shipping the pump kits out as quickly as they slowly receive the parts from the manufacturers, plus lines are forming from the truck owners, so surely it will be slow going! As mentioned before on here, I was the first at the dealership on May11th, got the inspection done May 20th, pump came in and then put on hold because it's a 2019! So now waiting till September when supposedly the software fix for that comes out, will the dealer still have my pump kit that came in for my VIN and engine serial number back in May.......?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Being a 2019 owner and caught up in the CP4.2 mess, I sure hope we don't end up with a detuned version ECM, I smell EPA getting their hands on my ECM.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Being a 2019 owner and caught up in the CP4.2 mess, I sure hope we don't end up with a detuned version ECM, I smell EPA getting their hands on my ECM.
well seeing as they went up in power in the newer ones i dont see it happening plus they cant force you to meet any standards other than the standards that were used in 2019.

blbrown

Reaction score
Got mine back today! Sounds great, did a regen right after leaving dealership, will keep my eyes on the regen frequency.
Like others, the tech didn't tie wrap the wire loom up, so I took care of it myself.
I don't know what it is with the techs now a days when they just cut the wire loom wire tie clips rather than using a tool to remove the clips and then don't bother replacing with new wire tie clips.... good thing I have bags of different size push clips from my last dealership work on our Dodge Nitro, they cut all the wire loom clips on the main engine wire harness and left it loose and hanging.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I don't know what it is with the techs now a days when they just cut the wire loom wire tie clips rather than using a tool to remove the clips and then don't bother replacing with new wire tie clips....

Its because the techs don't get the same labor allowance, unlike non warranty repairs. So they snip away to save time.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
They get enough time they just rush to beat the book trying to make extra money one of the biggest issues with flat rate pay.

They'll get dinged on a bring-back so why cut corners?

Fewest bring backs and you get another lift... Or maybe that's why and they're lazy?

My oldest boy ran 2 lifts at one of the PNW largest dealers when he was an Audi Master Tech and made his book time with almost no bring backs.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They'll get dinged on a bring-back so why cut corners?

Fewest bring backs and you get another lift... Or maybe that's why and they're lazy?

My oldest boy ran 2 lifts at one of the PNW largest dealers when he was an Audi Master Tech and made his book time with almost no bring backs.
It really does seem like it is more laziness now but also getting more than one lift is more of a higher end import thing i have yet to hear of any domestic dealer adapting that principal here anyway…

KiowaWarrior RAM

Reaction score
Does anyone else see DPF regeneration more often since HPFP replacement?

Last edited:

akamac

Reaction score
For those that have had the recall; Have you noticed a discrepancy in boost? The numbers I'm looking for are downhill and light acceleration. My truck ran at 3 psi pre-repair on level highway and 8 psi on the same stretch of road after repair. The big difference was down hill, no throttle, no exhaust brake and the boost would fluctuate between 3 and 6 psi. Before repair the boost was 0 on the down slope.
I'm going on 5 weeks w/o my truck and Dealer talks tools and disassembly problems. I've got the 1500 for a loaner but I am planning trips with the 5er. I need some ammo if you guys have it. Thanks, Mac.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For those that have had the recall; Have you noticed a discrepancy in boost? The numbers I'm looking for are downhill and light acceleration. My truck ran at 3 psi pre-repair on level highway and 8 psi on the same stretch of road after repair. The big difference was down hill, no throttle, no exhaust brake and the boost would fluctuate between 3 and 6 psi. Before repair the boost was 0 on the down slope.
I'm going on 5 weeks w/o my truck and Dealer talks tools and disassembly problems. I've got the 1500 for a loaner but I am planning trips with the 5er. I need some ammo if you guys have it. Thanks, Mac.
Better more stable fueling will have higher boost numbers no issue

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Am I missing something? You show differences with pre and post replacement, but its still in the shop?

Users who are viewing this thread