Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

Nick

Reaction score
I wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on which additive . No one has a secret formula . Just buy a reputable one. In winter make sure you have an additive with anti jelling properties in it . It will save you much grief in cold weather .

jkempken

Reaction score
I got my Y78 recall done back in June and yesterday noticed some what looked like power steering fluid under my front drivers side, steering got tough at low speeds and brakes were pulsating along with a high pitched Cavitating like noise that changed with RPM. I dropped it off a dealer on the way to work and asked them to fix it assuming it was the Steering pump and fluid and that I had the Y78 recall done a little while back. Dealer called back a couple hours later confirmed power steering return line was loose and leaking fluid. They checked the O-ring and fittings and tightened it back up, no more leak. They did charge me since it was a workmanship issue from another dealer but I am getting a refund back from the dealer that did the Y78 recall.

Thought I would share this with everyone else getting the recall done to check the Steering pump fittings since they need to touch them for the recall. I drove about 3-4k miles before it started leaking which is characteristic of ORFS fittings if they are hand tight but not Torqued, they hold the fluid for a while but eventually come loose.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I got my Y78 recall done back in June and yesterday noticed some what looked like power steering fluid under my front drivers side, steering got tough at low speeds and brakes were pulsating along with a high pitched Cavitating like noise that changed with RPM. I dropped it off a dealer on the way to work and asked them to fix it assuming it was the Steering pump and fluid and that I had the Y78 recall done a little while back. Dealer called back a couple hours later confirmed power steering return line was loose and leaking fluid. They checked the O-ring and fittings and tightened it back up, no more leak. They did charge me since it was a workmanship issue from another dealer but I am getting a refund back from the dealer that did the Y78 recall.

Thought I would share this with everyone else getting the recall done to check the Steering pump fittings since they need to touch them for the recall. I drove about 3-4k miles before it started leaking which is characteristic of ORFS fittings if they are hand tight but not Torqued, they hold the fluid for a while but eventually come loose.
Yours is the second report I've seen where the dealer failed to tighten the hose/s properly.

steve49

Reaction score
Looks like you just need one of them not done as i read it not all of them. But funny enough when i check on the mopar site i see recalls say done that i know were not done
"VINs with Recalls Y21, VB6, WO3, and W57 require Y78 to be completed first", so W03 and VB6 were the two that were done on my 2019 quite some time ago. I had the Y78 inspection back in May after parts were available, pump ordered and came in, then dealer put on hold per Ram till there's a remedy! I just hope they set the pump aside with my name on it, since it was ordered under my VIN and engine serial number! We'll see!

blbrown

Reaction score
Thank you for the positive comment & I’m sorry your getting nowhere with your dealer. But I can guarantee a negative review in the future
Update on my 2020, I just received a call from the Service Manager AutoNation Bellevue WA, he was very positive and apologized for the confusion around my last appointment for the recall that wasn't completed, apparently didn't have a gear puller for the pump.. I now have an August 9th appointment!!! Got my fingers crossed

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Update on my 2020, I just received a call from the Service Manager AutoNation Bellevue WA, he was very positive and apologized for the confusion around my last appointment for the recall that wasn't completed, apparently didn't have a gear puller for the pump.. I now have an August 9th appointment!!! Got my fingers crossed
What a load of crap they could have had a puller in 20 mins from almost any parts store that has tools

blbrown

Reaction score
I was a port engineer for a number of years in Alaska, worked on all brands of marine diesel engines in the fishing fleet so I am aware. In the interest of mending fences and getting along, I'm not challenging this one..

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was a port engineer for a number of years in Alaska, worked on all brands of marine diesel engines in the fishing fleet so I am aware. In the interest of mending fences and getting along, I'm not challenging this one..
At this point in my life i cant seem to help myself challenging the dealers when they say stupid ****. Either know what you are doing or go work at mcdonalds there are way to many incompetent dealers / service advisors its ridiculous

Duneboy714

Reaction score
After two months finally got the call they received parts. How long does it normally take? Service tech said it would be ready possibly by Wednesday.. dropped it off today (Friday). Anything I need to ask or be on the lookout for afterwards
Ram 2500 2020

cummins2020

Reaction score
After two months finally got the call they received parts. How long does it normally take? Service tech said it would be ready possibly by Wednesday.. dropped it off today (Friday). Anything I need to ask or be on the lookout for afterwards
Ram 2500 2020
If its a tech that knows his stuff he can get the job done in one day, provided he has the truck in his stall when he gets to work. Dont let the service advisor jack you around! Just check for any leaks that might appear. Best of luck with your truck!!!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ram 2500 2020

They are allotted ~4 hours book time for the repair. 0.5 hr added for each option if equipped - adaptive steering or dual alternators. It's a 1/2 day job for a good tech once they get on the truck.

As said, fluid leaks especially PS fluid, everything is tied down. No hoses/lines rubbing on other parts, Look at some of the images in the last few pages here of the wiring adapter zip tied to the FQS, seen a few that were wrong. The lower PS line bracket on mine was not bolted on.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Just had my CP4 replaced per the recall and the day after the dealer did the work I couldn't start my truck without a jump. Something's drawing on the batteries when the truck is off. Having to bring the truck in to see what's going on but I can't get the truck started anymore without a jump. The dealer said "it's possible it's related to the fuel pump work." Anyone experience this? I fear I have two bad batteries now because they're not holding a voltage of more than 12.2v. When I hit the start button, I hear one click. All other electrical systems like the radio, dash information, etc., are good. Very frustrating.

Also, they did a flash with something about "insufficient engine warmup protection," I have no idea what that is. The weird thing is the invoice says ECM Aisin Transmission when I have the 68RFE.

cummins2020

Reaction score
Just had my CP4 replaced per the recall and the day after the dealer did the work I couldn't start my truck without a jump. Something's drawing on the batteries when the truck is off. Having to bring the truck in to see what's going on but I can't get the truck started anymore without a jump. The dealer said "it's possible it's related to the fuel pump work." Anyone experience this? I fear I have two bad batteries now because they're not holding a voltage of more than 12.2v. When I hit the start button, I hear one click. All other electrical systems like the radio, dash information, etc., are good. Very frustrating.

Also, they did a flash with something about "insufficient engine warmup protection," I have no idea what that is. The weird thing is the invoice says ECM Aisin Transmission when I have the 68RFE.
Well, thats way over my head but I know someone out there will help you with this! Sorry your having trouble!

Reactions: RAM

KiowaWarrior RAM

Reaction score
What did your paperwork say they replaced? The way it sounded prior to replacement, my bet is that they had to do the whole replacement. mine had 7 different kits included, including a new tank assembly.
HPFP & Module Fuel Injection (CSRLY781AA) was completed

Raidercat

Reaction score
Called my dealer today to check the status of my recalled part. It’s been 2 mos since I had the inspection. They are telling as of today that the fuel pump shows on backorder and they went from being able to order 2 pumps a week to not being able to order any right now. Also advised me that when I had the inspection 2 mos ago the tech failed to order my pump, so with 80 trucks on the wait list going back to square one, have to go back in so they can re inspect my pump, get the number off it. My Father in laws truck has been sitting at another dealer in Odessa Tx for 2 mos waiting on a pump and entire fuel system because his grenaded. That dealer is telling him it might be another couple months due to part unavailability and WON’T give him a loaner truck. My truck runs fine and I use hot shots every tank hopefully that keeps it good until the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread