Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman upgrade to 8.4

Gunnyguy64

Reaction score
Just installed the 8.4 into my '19 Tradesman using the above listed parts from b307a1. The radio was on a long back order. Ordered in Aug, arrived last week. Loving the Apple carplay! Anywho, all installed and seems to be working good except for the backup camera. The clarity is awesome, but it seems the aspect ratio does not fill the whole screen. I also lost the feature of switching the view to look straight down at the hitch. Anyone else have this issue? How to correct it?

Also lost the VR and phone button on the steering wheel. Anyone else have this issue?

Forgot to add, the compass also does not show under apps.

Disregard! Just went outside to check something and all works as it should. I guess the radio needs to l"learn"?
Anyone with a 5" radio and is thinking about the upgrade, go for it! Super easy install.
If you don't mind me asking,
Where did you end up ordering from and what did you spend ?

Gunnyguy64

Reaction score
Just installed the 8.4 into my '19 Tradesman using the above listed parts from b307a1. The radio was on a long back order. Ordered in Aug, arrived last week. Loving the Apple carplay! Anywho, all installed and seems to be working good except for the backup camera. The clarity is awesome, but it seems the aspect ratio does not fill the whole screen. I also lost the feature of switching the view to look straight down at the hitch. Anyone else have this issue? How to correct it?

Also lost the VR and phone button on the steering wheel. Anyone else have this issue?

Forgot to add, the compass also does not show under apps.

Disregard! Just went outside to check something and all works as it should. I guess the radio needs to l"learn"?
Anyone with a 5" radio and is thinking about the upgrade, go for it! Super easy install.
Who did you order parts from?

herdbull

Reaction score
Looking to order parts this week. Local dealer(s) not really much help. Anyone here have an updated parts list for a 2022 Tradesman with the 6.7l, non nav. Looks loike I need a centerstack, bezel and radio. Bezel needs to have hazard and traction control button. Do not need nav, just Android Auto.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Looking to order parts this week. Local dealer(s) not really much help. Anyone here have an updated parts list for a 2022 Tradesman with the 6.7l, non nav. Looks loike I need a centerstack, bezel and radio. Bezel needs to have hazard and traction control button. Do not need nav, just Android Auto.
Are you looking to upgrade to the 2022 8.4” non nav, which is a Uconnect 5 radio with wireless Android auto, or the 2019-2021 8.4” non-nav, which is a Uconnect 4 radio with wired Android auto?
If going with Uconnect 4, you’ll follow the parts used in this thread.
If going with Uconnect 5, the radio part is different, and you’ll need a different usb cable that links the radio to the usb media hub, which seems to be unobtainable right now.

herdbull

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot that part. UC 4 is fine. I do like my SXM though, forgot that part too. Still not sure I saw the exact part, specifically the bezel in this thread but I'll go through it again. Thanks for the info.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot that part. UC 4 is fine. I do like my SXM though, forgot that part too. Still not sure I saw the exact part, specifically the bezel in this thread but I'll go through it again. Thanks for the info.
Do you have a 19-21 or a 22?

herdbull

Reaction score
Unless it creates an issue I'm fine with the UC 4. I'm sure the UC 5 is probably another 50% more $$$$. As it is this is already pricey enough to do the swap. I need to sort through the p/n's here now and find the correct ones and then do some research on website pricing.

herdbull

Reaction score
funny story.....well kind of. Just got off the phone with the dealer I bought my truck from and they absolutely will not/can not help me with getting parts. Says they won't order them for me. So much for customer service.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
funny story.....well kind of. Just got off the phone with the dealer I bought my truck from and they absolutely will not/can not help me with getting parts. Says they won't order them for me. So much for customer service.
Thats pretty normal you gotta bring in a vin that has the setup you need then they cant dispute it i have a level 2 tman with the 8.4 UC4 if you need a vin

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Most generally order parts online at a discount.

herdbull

Reaction score
Thats pretty normal you gotta bring in a vin that has the setup you need then they cant dispute it i have a level 2 tman with the 8.4 UC4 if you need a vin
Doesn't matter. The only way they would order something if it was under warranty. which this isn't. They basically are refusing to order any parts for me and their reasoning is that I should have ordered the truck that way. This is what I was told over the phone. They flat out 100% will not order an 8.4" for me unless it's under a warranty claim.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. The only way they would order something if it was under warranty. which this isn't. They basically are refusing to order any parts for me and their reasoning is that I should have ordered the truck that way. This is what I was told over the phone. They flat out 100% will not order an 8.4" for me unless it's under a warranty claim.
Don’t use your local dealership for parts anyway. Just order from an online mopar parts supplier, as they’ll be cheaper. Bamwholesale is usually the cheapest, just don’t provide your VIN when you order.

herdbull

Reaction score
they knew this was an issue when I bought the truck. I walked out of the dealership due to this truck having the small screen. They came back with a great deal and said they would work with me on the monitor. HA!

Part of the reason I was going to order from them was they would verify the exact parts required. And they also said they could be competitive on prices. Woulda, coulda, shoulda I guess.

herdbull

Reaction score
Don’t use your local dealership for parts anyway. Just order from an online mopar parts supplier, as they’ll be cheaper. Bamwholesale is usually the cheapest, just don’t provide your VIN when you order.
sent them off a question about the parts. They've responded with "are you looking to upgrade the factory system?"

I can see where this is going already :(

Jimmy07

Reaction score
sent them off a question about the parts. They've responded with "are you looking to upgrade the factory system?"

I can see where this is going already :(
Don’t ask any questions. Just order the parts and be done with it. You start asking questions, and EVERY single parts supplier you talk to is going to respond the same way. Do you know what part numbers you need?

herdbull

Reaction score
that's the problem. I have yet to track down a pic or diagram of the center stack with the hazard/traction control dual switch with a p/n. I believe it's this 68370124AB but every diagram shows this as a single hazard button.

edit:

Monitor should be

68428584AD​

Users who are viewing this thread