Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman upgrade to 8.4

woody284

Reaction score
If it is this bracket or tabs you see on the top/ sides like this, it was already on the radio I received on order.

Attachments

• 751970FA-391C-42C2-9059-C165199F469A.png
    751970FA-391C-42C2-9059-C165199F469A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 33

Jackmup

Reaction score
What bracket are we referring to? To support the 8.4 screen/unit to the center bezel? I must have missed that in discussion if so. I just order the parts listed in the earlier part.
Yes there is a plastic bracket that supports the 8.4. the old one has the same pattern for the screws but i had to cut it to make it work. It keeps the bezel rigid.

Jackmup

Reaction score
If it is this bracket or tabs you see on the top/ sides like this, it was already on the radio I received on order.
No it attaches to the top of the ac bezel and goes behind the radio. The ac bezel you have now has one it. But it won't reach around the 8.4 without being cut.

woody284

Reaction score
I’m confused and dont want to be missing something I need. My upgrade is in the trucks and looks good. Can someone take a picture of this bracket when you install your upgrade to help me out? Thank you in advance.

Jackmup

Reaction score
I’m confused and dont want to be missing something I need. My upgrade is in the trucks and looks good. Can someone take a picture of this bracket when you install your upgrade to help me out? Thank you in advance.
Did you already put it in? The plastic bracket is large and attaches from the top of a/c bezel to the bottom of ac bezel. But I bought my ac bezel used as a new take off. I can't find this bracket in the parts list. I am wondering if the new ac bezel comes with a bracket. If you have already completed the upgrade there is no way you missed this bracket. It must. Be removed to get the old radio out. I'm still searching for pics.

Jackmup

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210307-081926.pnghere is a pic of the bracket that supports the 5" you can see it through the hole where the radio used to be. I tried like crazy to find a pic online with a part number visible. No luck. But you can see how they differ. I did a little snipping and it worked out ok.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
View attachment 12924here is a pic of the bracket that supports the 5" you can see it through the hole where the radio used to be. I tried like crazy to find a pic online with a part number visible. No luck. But you can see how they differ. I did a little snipping and it worked out ok.
8.4” radio bracket- 68354583AA

woody284

Reaction score
My 5 inch radio had this bracket and it had an L shape to it, to fit the 5 inch radio. I’m going to have to pull my 8.4 back out and see. When everything was shipped to me I had a total of three separate pieces. Radio, center stack and vent bezel. Maybe the bracket was already attached to the radio so I didn’t pay any attention. Everything bolted up super easy and fit perfect. The picture I posted earlier with the mounting tabs sticking out to the top and sides is w hat mine looked like. I’ll check but it might be a few days.

b307a1

Reaction score
My 5 inch radio had this bracket and it had an L shape to it, to fit the 5 inch radio. I’m going to have to pull my 8.4 back out and see. When everything was shipped to me I had a total of three separate pieces. Radio, center stack and vent bezel. Maybe the bracket was already attached to the radio so I didn’t pay any attention. Everything bolted up super easy and fit perfect. The picture I posted earlier with the mounting tabs sticking out to the top and sides is w hat mine looked like. I’ll check but it might be a few days.
I was in the same boat as you.

I bought my parts thru my dealer.

The problem is the 3 major parts (radio, bezel and center stack) appear in 2 different schematics. So, it appears they are all that is needed and when you assemble them it looks that way. To find that bracket you have to go into another schematic that has parts not related to the radio. You would figure that all closely associated parts would be together.

Another thing that adds to the confusion is the Infotainment video dealing with the 5.0 upgrade to 8.4. They say that the bracket holding the 5.0 is no longer needed and install the 8.4 never mentioning that a bracket for the 8.4 is needed or even exists.

Once again thanks to the "Tech Swami" he listed the correct part number.

Last edited:

woody284

Reaction score
Looks like I will be making a trip to the dealer tomorrow to order the part. Saves me on shipping for one little part. It’s weird because it fit together so well and easy without it. Thanks for the heads up gents.

SkywalkerPhD

Reaction score
View attachment 12924here is a pic of the bracket that supports the 5" you can see it through the hole where the radio used to be. I tried like crazy to find a pic online with a part number visible. No luck. But you can see how they differ. I did a little snipping and it worked out ok.
I am confused. In the pics after your install, you have a the bezel with just a hazard light button. But your pic with the 5 inch has the dual button. The part number in your list of parts comes up as the dual button with seat warmers. These part numbers are insane and impossible to follow - I think Ram does it on purpose! :). Can someone confirm that the part numbers are indeed for the single button hazard with no heated seat controls? It should look like this....

s-l1600.jpg

I just want to be sure that I order the correct parts because most of them are non-returnable. And thank you to whomever posted the part number for the 8.4 radio support bracket!

b307a1

Reaction score
I am confused. In the pics after your install, you have a the bezel with just a hazard light button. But your pic with the 5 inch has the dual button. The part number in your list of parts comes up as the dual button with seat warmers. These part numbers are insane and impossible to follow - I think Ram does it on purpose! :). Can someone confirm that the part numbers are indeed for the single button hazard with no heated seat controls? It should look like this....

View attachment 12985

I just want to be sure that I order the correct parts because most of them are non-returnable. And thank you to whomever posted the part number for the 8.4 radio support bracket!
It depends on what engine you have. If you have the 6.4 you will need the center stack with the single center button for the 4 ways only. The Cummins gets the split button because both engine options use the same position in the lower switch bank for the traction control and exhaust brake. So, if you have the diesel it will push the traction control button up into the split controls along with the 4 way flasher button.

There are what it seems like a thousand different part numbers for the same part because all trims levels use them, all being different. So, it all depends on what you want to install.

I have the 6.4. These are the part numbers that I used. They are for the Tradesman trim level.

68428584AC-Radio-Multi Media

68340283AD-Center stack control

6VQ511AHAA-Bezel-instrument panel

68354583AA-8.4 Radio bracket

You can refer to page 66 entry #1319 in the 'What did you do to your ram today " thread to see what I did.

A signature line with what you have or are going to have would make it easier to help you.

Last edited:

SkywalkerPhD

Reaction score
It depends on what engine you have. If you have the 6.4 you will need the center stack with the single center button for the 4 ways only. The Cummins gets the split button because both engine options use the same position in the lower switch bank for the traction control and exhaust brake. So, if you have the diesel it will push the traction control button up into the split controls along with the 4 way flasher button.

There are what it seems like a thousand different part numbers for the same part because all trims levels use them, all being different. So, it all depends on what you want to install.

I have the 6.4. These are the part numbers that I used. They are for the Tradesman trim level.

6842858AC-Radio-Multi Media

6834028AD-Center stack control

You can refer to page 66 entry #1319 in the 'What did you do to your ram today " thread to see what I did.

A signature line with what you have or are going to have would make it easier to help you.

I’ve got a 2020 Tradesman with the Hemi. Is yours a 2020 as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkywalkerPhD

Reaction score

6842858AC-Radio-Multi Media

6834028AD-Center stack control

There seems to be a number missing from the center stack part. Its too short. Can you verify it?

Users who are viewing this thread