Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman upgrade to 8.4

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
that's the problem. I have yet to track down a pic or diagram of the center stack with the hazard/traction control dual switch with a p/n. I believe it's this 68370124AB but every diagram shows this as a single hazard button.

edit:

Monitor should be

68428584AD​

Search autotrader online nationwide for a 2019-2021 HD Ram CTD that has the radio bezel you are looking for. Get the VIN of that truck from the listing. Go to the linked thread below, and give 01Time that VIN, and ask him for the parts list for A/C heater controls, and the parts list for instrument panel trim. Those two lists will show the part number you need for the radio bezel (a/c heater controls) and the center dash piece that the bezel mounts on to.

herdbull

Reaction score
So is there anything I need to do before order this like updating VIN's on the radio or contact the dealer? Dealer code? Or do I just unplug the old 5" and plug in the new 8.4"? I do have SXM so If memory serves correct I have to contact them and update the radio VIN to transfer service. I'll also download/buy AlfaOBD when it the units gets here. Other things have gotten in the way so I've had to put this off until now.

herdbull

Reaction score
Also everyone of these parts suppliers wants my VIN. I'm hesitant to supply them with my VIN but they will not accept returns without it, even if the package is totalled in shipping. Guess I don't want to unknowingly F myself with some of this.

herdbull

Reaction score
what a nightmare install (sigh). Nothing lined up and lets just say I'm thankful I have a dremel and a steady hand. So why is there no climate controls in the 8.4"? You're stuck with knobs only. Or am I missing something here?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
what a nightmare install (sigh). Nothing lined up and lets just say I'm thankful I have a dremel and a steady hand. So why is there no climate controls in the 8.4"? You're stuck with knobs only. Or am I missing something here?
Did you use alfa OBD yet?

herdbull

Reaction score
Did you use alfa OBD yet?
The 8.4" was out of 2021 with the same options as my 5". Will I need AlfaOBD? Seems to me like I should have climate controls through the 8.4" but I guess I don't know for sure. If I need Alfa I'll buy it. Just don't know if I need it. Everything else functions as it should and the nice people at SXM transferred my units for free..

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The 8.4" was out of 2021 with the same options as my 5". Will I need AlfaOBD? Seems to me like I should have climate controls through the 8.4" but I guess I don't know for sure. If I need Alfa I'll buy it. Just don't know if I need it. Everything else functions as it should and the nice people at SXM transferred my units for free..
Do you have auto climate control? If not you only have manual knobs

herdbull

Reaction score
ok, just wanted to double check. I do not have auto climate control. Didn't know if upgrading to the 8.4" would give me controls on the touchscreen. Thanks.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
The 8.4 non nav does have the climate controls screen, and you don’t need AlfaOBD for anything. It will take a while for the controls to populate in the radio after installing it.

herdbull

Reaction score
The 8.4 non nav does have the climate controls screen, and you don’t need AlfaOBD for anything. It will take a while for the controls to populate in the radio after installing it.
huhhhh.....you don't say. Interesting. What happens if it don't, lol.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
huhhhh.....you don't say. Interesting. What happens if it don't, lol.
It takes several drive cycles, and up to a day or two for everything to populate in the new radio. How long has it been? Where are you looking for the controls? It might be buried in the apps, and you’ll have to drag it to the bottom row.
Here’s the 8.4 non nav with climate controls app populated:
BF5DF38F-2E6C-4EFF-A4B6-26BE934338EA.jpeg

herdbull

Reaction score
Just got it installed today and really haven't driven it much so that's my problem. I'll see what happens tomorrow. Thank you for this info.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It takes several drive cycles, and up to a day or two for everything to populate in the new radio. How long has it been? Where are you looking for the controls? It might be buried in the apps, and you’ll have to drag it to the bottom row.
Here’s the 8.4 non nav with climate controls app populated:
View attachment 32967
But if its the 3 knob setup there is no climate screen thats only if the truck has auto climate control correct?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
But if its the 3 knob setup there is no climate screen thats only if the truck has auto climate control correct?
No, there are single zone climate controls on the 8.4 non nav screen even for manual temp control.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No, there are single zone climate controls on the 8.4 non nav screen even for manual temp control.
Ok, so would i be able to enable the screen on my 19 2500 manual knob tradesman with the factory 8.4 non nav? Or is that for newer models?

Nd79

Reaction score
My non nav single zone basic climate control 8.4 uconnect does not have a climate control anywhere in the screen menus. It's only controlled by the 3 knobs under the screen.

This is a '21 tradesman uconnect 4

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ok, so would i be able to enable the screen on my 19 2500 manual knob tradesman with the factory 8.4 non nav? Or is that for newer models?
If that’s the case, it must be a limitation of the 2019+ BCM or HVAC module, since a few of us have used these 2019+ non nav radios on 2017-18 with the single zone manual temp controls on the screen. There’s only one BCM setting that dictates which climate control configuration shows up on the screen, so there’s nothing you can change other than to get the dual zone controls to show up. But, I suspect if you do that (while running the driver/passenger side in sync), you might lose function of the physical knobs.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If that’s the case, it must be a limitation of the 2019+ BCM or HVAC module, since a few of us have used these 2019+ non nav radios on 2017-18 with the single zone manual temp controls on the screen. There’s only one BCM setting that dictates which climate control configuration shows up on the screen, so there’s nothing you can change other than to get the dual zone controls to show up. But, I suspect if you do that (while running the driver/passenger side in sync), you might lose function of the physical knobs.
Interesting perhaps it was dropped for the 19+ as a couple others say they dont have it including a 21MY

Users who are viewing this thread