Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman upgrade to 8.4

jadmt

Reaction score
i don't have it on my 2020. Not sure if I would even want it as the knobs are pretty big and easy to use without looking at them.

3A333A21-ACCF-45D7-993C-AA8A75BA9325.jpeg

stinson87

Reaction score
for those of you who bought salvage/used screens, was there anything special to get them to work?

herdbull

Reaction score
for those of you who bought salvage/used screens, was there anything special to get them to work?
I just needed an unlock code. They're on Ebay for like $8 or you could try your local dealer. They may, and I emphasize may, give you one. The hard part is matching up the correct radio and options with your vehicle.

TogaLock77

Reaction score
Two questions for the experts here.

All the MOPAR sites say that part 68428584AD has replaced 68428584AC. Is there any difference between these two parts?

I can’t source part 68340283AD Center Stack in stock. Any ideas on finding one of these? Backordered through June.

studeman68

Reaction score
Hello, New here, I purchased a 2020 2500 Tradesman CTD recently, and did the 8.4 upgrade. Noticed the backup camera grid lines were there at first, then witin minutes they disappeard. was living with that and then found a good deal on a leather wheel with audio controls from another 2020 and added it, but found that the audio controls won't work. on it. Anyone else had this issue and was there any BCM changes needed to make work? I do have Alpphaobd...
also, just for a quick see, I re-installed the the original 5" radio, and audio controls came back, but then quit working again by next morning.. I'm lost lol.

b307a1

Reaction score
Hello, New here, I purchased a 2020 2500 Tradesman CTD recently, and did the 8.4 upgrade. Noticed the backup camera grid lines were there at first, then witin minutes they disappeard. was living with that and then found a good deal on a leather wheel with audio controls from another 2020 and added it, but found that the audio controls won't work. on it. Anyone else had this issue and was there any BCM changes needed to make work? I do have Alpphaobd...
also, just for a quick see, I re-installed the the original 5" radio, and audio controls came back, but then quit working again by next morning.. I'm lost lol.
Hmmm...sounds like a job for the "Tech Swami".

gingerman

Reaction score
I purchased a used 8.4 UAM off ebay that apparently came out of a 2019 RAM 1500 to install in my 2020 3500 Tradesman. When I plug it in and turn on the truck, nothing happens - is there anything else I need to do to test the unit? I have a feeling it's dead but maybe I'm missing something. I don't have the new center stack or anything yet.

TogaLock77

Reaction score
All up and running. This project took forever waiting on parts.

Attachments

• CDB35972-26DF-4D27-AA77-4E96D70290E9.jpeg
    CDB35972-26DF-4D27-AA77-4E96D70290E9.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 45

Maka14

Reaction score
I purchased a used 8.4 UAM off ebay that apparently came out of a 2019 RAM 1500 to install in my 2020 3500 Tradesman. When I plug it in and turn on the truck, nothing happens - is there anything else I need to do to test the unit? I have a feeling it's dead but maybe I'm missing something. I don't have the new center stack or anything yet.
That’s because you can’t use a 1500 radio…. Everyone has trial and errored this so you don’t have to deal with it

gingerman

Reaction score
That’s because you can’t use a 1500 radio…. Everyone has trial and errored this so you don’t have to deal with it
Damn. I spent so much time researching this and somehow overlooked that detail. Thanks

Maka14

Reaction score
Damn. I spent so much time researching this and somehow overlooked that detail. Thanks
I posted I had issues with a 1500 radio earlier on in this thread. I had features that didn’t work even though a 1500 and 2500 had the same options.

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I’ve read through this post and have a couple of questions. I am buying a 2020 Tradesman and want to do the 8.4 non nave upgrade. I just want to make sure I order the right parts. First could someone share with me the part numbers to order. And second if I purchase a display unit from a salvage yard do I need anything to make it work, such as a code or programming? Thanks in advance.

gingerman

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I’ve read through this post and have a couple of questions. I am buying a 2020 Tradesman and want to do the 8.4 non nave upgrade. I just want to make sure I order the right parts. First could someone share with me the part numbers to order. And second if I purchase a display unit from a salvage yard do I need anything to make it work, such as a code or programming? Thanks in advance.
I just finally installed the 8.4 non nav last weekend. The larger screen is much nicer but the process was anything but simple and a bit of a hack job because I ran out of patience lol.
Getting the proper center stack is what I found hardest - it all depends on the features you have. I messed up and now I have no way to disable my traction control.

You'll need a security code to unlock the deck when you first install. I think you can get it from the dealer if you have the VIN for the vehicle it was pulled from but you can also buy the code on ebay using the serial number on the back. Someone on here may offer that service as well.

b307a1

Reaction score
If you have a 6.4 reread post #73.

Last edited:

BulldawgQC

Reaction score
630f2b2885d29fe9bab2882219a3ac38.jpg

Here is mine. Went to uconnect 5 with wireless apple play. Everything works fine. This is a 2022 consul I put in my 2020 ram 2500 tradesman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vzar47a

Reaction score
This is a very helpful thread.

I have a base 2020 2500 Tradesman 6.4L. I want to upgrade from 5 inch non-nav to 8.4 inch non-nav for the larger screen so I can actually see the backup camera, and for Android Auto.. I also plan to add, at some point, the radio control buttons to the steering wheel by swapping out the current wheel for one that has the buttons on the back. Auto climate control would be nice, too.

So rather than a simple swap of the 5 inch basic stuff for 8.4 inch basic stuff, I am complicating this and wonder how to make it all work. I have gone through a lot of stuff on this and other forums, and although it is all a but confusing, I think I figured out most of it:

1. I need to swap out the existing trim piece that has the a/c vents in it for one that will work with the 8.4 inch bezel. This part is not dependent upon anything else I am doing, so it should be 6VQ511AHAA
2. I need a radio bezel that has the heated steering wheel/seats buttons, and the version of the climate control knobs that are special for auto climate control. I think others have said that you don't actually need these to get auto climate control, but since I need a new bezel, I might as well get this. I think 6834028AD is the right bezel. Since I don't have, and won't be adding, heated seats, is there an issue here?
3. I think I need to add the temp sensor, sun sensor, and a harness. I don't have any of that in the truck now, but can follow the details in the thread that explains all of that. I don't think I need anything else, right?
4. I have 2 USB ports down below my upfitter switches, but nothing on the center seat console. I am assuming that this is my Media hub -2, and that is where I will plug in my android phone for Android Auto. I shouldn't need anything else, right?
5. The hard part: which radio do I need? This is where I am stuck. The vast number of part numbers for a uconnect 4 8.4 inch radio is overwhelming. When I was just thinking about the basic swap, it seemed that 68428584AC was the right radio. But will that radio also give me the other stuff I want?

I looked up a VIN for a vehicle that has non-nav, auto climate, heated steering/seats, but that didn't narrow it down for me. How do I figure out which radio I need? I also am wondering about speaker connections: I have 6 speakers in a regular cab, and I assume there are more than that in the larger cabs. Does that make a difference?

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
Morning guys,

I don’t mean to ask redundant questions but I am just seeking clarity before I purchase because I am seeing mixed answers. If I purchase an 8.4 unit out of a 1500 (part number 68292209AF), will it work in my 2500? I just don’t need to waist $500. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread