Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotella T6 5w-40 Availability

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That's nuts!!

Let's go Brandon!

Your free warning...

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Zoro still has Valvoline in stock.

5w40
Looks like they are sold out now... shows backorder. I found 3 gallons of this locally (only 3 left) so I bought it. I'm guessing this is a good alternative to Rotella T6... is that right?

I usually order things at Summit racing. They are very reliable and quick with shipping

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-122271-1#overview

Mobil 1 Delvac ESP meets all requirements per the Ram owners manual.
As of now they have more than 10x 1 Gallon available.
This link still shows availability, as of this morning, for anyone looking.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Anyone knows what's going on?
This is not the toilet paper situation we had 2 years ago!
Our 5W40 Mobil, Shell and so on is not coming from Asia where supply chain issues are originating currently?
Or is it possible that people creating an artificial shortage to drive prices up? Like OPEC does with crude oil or Enron did with natural gas.
The shelves are still full of regular automotive oil, so it nearly looks like there is a focus on the CK4 low viscosity oils.

Lift89

Reaction score
Pry don’t live where you do. But go to Napa or your local Cummins dealer is you have one. They sell valvoline premium blue 5w40 in gallon jugs.

Cummins dealers always have them. And by always i mean 99%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Local Walmart had a metric crap-ton of DEF, mostly SuperTech but some Peak.

No Rotella to speak of.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Is that Mobile 1 Delvac ESP worth picking up? (I might just grab the"kit" of 4 gallons)

Nd79

Reaction score
My local Cummins dealer/shop had some 5w-40 which has been impossible to find anywhere else. It's a full synthetic Valvoline oil recommend by Cummins.

Might be worth checking out for those that have a local Cummins service center.

RTillery

Reaction score
Just picked up three gallons of T6 at the local Home Depot last night. $23/gal. They had a few left but I didn't see anymore up on the overhead shelf.

Firebird

Reaction score
This is all I can find in my city, it lists Cummins on the label
20220119_152625.jpg

Will_T

Reaction score
Anyone knows what's going on?
This is not the toilet paper situation we had 2 years ago!
Our 5W40 Mobil, Shell and so on is not coming from Asia where supply chain issues are originating currently?
Or is it possible that people creating an artificial shortage to drive prices up? Like OPEC does with crude oil or Enron did with natural gas.
The shelves are still full of regular automotive oil, so it nearly looks like there is a focus on the CK4 low viscosity oils.

There seems to be a shortage of almost everything right now and not just things from overseas. I believe for the oil it is the shortage of bottles, etc. to put product in and those may be made in other countries. I read that one company could not get enough 1-gallon jugs for their oil but it is not limited to big companies like shell, etc. I was talking to a small farmer yesterday who has a fairly busy roadside store in addition to his wholesale farming. He was showing me his jams, honey, etc. that were packed in all sorts of different types of jars. He said they just get whatever they can purchase but it has been hard to stay supplied with enough containers to put his product into.

Firebird

Reaction score
NAPA has the Delo 5W-40 to pick up in store at $21.99 a gallon. They say it will be ready for pick-up on the 25th. Hopefully they won't cancel it.
I had to pay $23 a gallon

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Not available at a Home Depot within a 100 miles of my area in SoCal

Bighoof

Reaction score
None of this makes any sense. Our local WalMart has basically no Rotella T6 and has not had any for some time. I needed some oil for the car this past week and got the last jug of that weight. There is no oil shortage so this has to be a created shortage for some nefarious reason.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Not sure if that is known to everyone.
Ram recommends 5W40 when ambient drops below 0F. So, what you really want is 5W40 synthetic with an API CK-4 specification. The CK-4 is the quality standard of the oil and that is provided by many manufacturers. Don't get so hung up on the Shell brand.
Screenshot 2022-01-19 175106.jpg

Nd79

Reaction score
Not sure if that is known to everyone.
Ram recommends 5W40 when ambient drops below 0F. So, what you really want is 5W40 synthetic with an API CK-4 specification. The CK-4 is the quality standard of the oil and that is provided by many manufacturers. Don't get so hung up on the Shell brand.
View attachment 30405
That's the problem though, at least in my area. Plenty of 15w-40 available in various brands (even some Rotella t5) but no 5w-40 in any brand. I would even run the warmer weather 10w-30 if I could find it. The only diesel oils for the most part that I found were the 15w-40, which doesn't cut it in the newer CGI hydraulic lifter Cummins.

tyler2you

Reaction score
That's the problem though, at least in my area. Plenty of 15w-40 available in various brands (even some Rotella t5) but no 5w-40 in any brand. I would even run the warmer weather 10w-30 if I could find it. The only diesel oils for the most part that I found were the 15w-40, which doesn't cut it in the newer CGI hydraulic lifter Cummins.

If you're near Aurora, NAPA has Delvac 5W40 available to pick-up in store.

chrizz28

Reaction score
I saw this post and ordered T6 from Tractor Supply 4 days ago - ship to store. Says it was delivered today. Hopefully my local one doesn't put it on the shelf before I can grab it ... they aren't exactly the best one around. Napa had the Valvoline 5W-40 in the warehouse when I checked with them, but not in the store.

Users who are viewing this thread