Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotella T6 5w-40 Availability

Firebird

Reaction score
Checked our Walmart yesterday for some DEF, and they had none. No oil or filters either

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
for us US guys, walmart is my first choice due to price. If they don't have it, I've had good luck at Menard's and O'Rileys will price match wal mart. Most people don't know they still do price matching. Oriley's usually has a lot of it, but they usually want $35 for a gallon. Price matched to walmart. filters are cheap at walmart and orileys, so I just get them as needed. usually around $15

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
Anybody having trouble locating Rotella T6 5w-40? Can’t find any at the local places.
I couldn't find it anywhere within 30 miles from Johnson city tn. I checked everywhere. I'm coming up on 7200 miles of mostly towing heavy. I ended up going with Valvoline 5/40 premium blue extreme synthetic from Amazon. Gets here tomorrow.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I couldn't find it anywhere within 30 miles from Johnson city tn. I checked everywhere. I'm coming up on 7200 miles of mostly towing heavy. I ended up going with Valvoline 5/40 premium blue extreme synthetic from Amazon. Gets here tomorrow.
So your 1/2 way to your oil change interval why the rush for oil lol

Firebird

Reaction score
At my local Walmart today, and they were devoid of any diesel fluids whatsoever, including DEF

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
At my local Walmart today, and they were devoid of any diesel fluids
Every store i went into the diesel oil section was wiped out also.
On another note, I thought my 21's engine was quiet, but this 5/40 valvoline synthetic oil makes it real quiet.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I picked up my 2022 about a month ago in Louisiana and drove it home to Northern Wisconsin where the weather has been in the -20° all last week so I had to change the oil out with 1700 miles on it and use the 3 gallons of Shell 5w40 I had in stock before the weather change getting the stock oil out. This whole week I have been looking for a replacement of 3 gallons to have on hand and finally succeeded after going to 6 different places and 6 different phone calls, Most places listed in stock until you called them and then they almost started to laugh at you on the phone. It reminded me about 10 months ago about ammo not in stock, just bare shelfs.

I finally found out why the shortage of Shell T6 5w40 after asking a couple of auto parts shops. They tell me that Shell can't get the containers to put the oil in as they are all made in as you can guess it (china). Why in the hell can't a oil manufacture make a plastic container here in the USA or Canada for that matter for gods sake.

flan

Reaction score
I picked up my 2022 about a month ago in Louisiana and drove it home to Northern Wisconsin where the weather has been in the -20° all last week so I had to change the oil out with 1700 miles on it and use the 3 gallons of Shell 5w40 I had in stock before the weather change getting the stock oil out. This whole week I have been looking for a replacement of 3 gallons to have on hand and finally succeeded after going to 6 different places and 6 different phone calls, Most places listed in stock until you called them and then they almost started to laugh at you on the phone. It reminded me about 10 months ago about ammo not in stock, just bare shelfs.

I finally found out why the shortage of Shell T6 5w40 after asking a couple of auto parts shops. They tell me that Shell can't get the containers to put the oil in as they are all made in as you can guess it (china). Why in the hell can't a oil manufacture make a plastic container here in the USA or Canada for that matter for gods sake.
I heard they can’t get the additives. Who knows at this point.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Dont want canadian or american pails it already cost me 192$ for a pail if we get domestic made pails it will cost me 250$ next time lmao

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Dont want canadian or american pails it already cost me 192$ for a pail if we get domestic made pails it will cost me 250$ next time lmao
Ya it may cost a little more but at least we could get some oil on the shelfs and employ some people over here rather than over there. And we wouldn't have to wait on a boat sitting off the coast of California for 2 months waiting to be unloaded.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
The cost of a container from china to Los Angeles has skyrocketed over the last year so why not try and make it over here and see if it pencils out instead. Maybe cost would not be affected as much as you think.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Factory fill is 5w40.

whitexc

Reaction score
I run it everything (turbo Subaru, wheeler, mowers, etc) except the new Hemi and it is hard to find. I scored 3 gallons at Advanced Auto about a month ago for $23/gl.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Factory fill is 5w40.
I thought the factory fill was 10W30 For all trucks 19-22, regardless of model year since not all trucks would not see below 0°F from new, and trucks located in areas where the ambient temperatures routinely fall below 0°F (18° C) during the winter, it is required to use 5W40 synthetic engine oil.

Not trying to argue, I just thought the factory fill was 10W30 but I also wanted to get the break in oil out as well.

I thought that's why they came out with service bulletin 09-011-20.

Attachments

• SERVICE BULLETIN 09-011-20 ENGINE OIL TYPE.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 18

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I thought the factory fill was 10W30 For all trucks 19-22, regardless of model year since not all trucks would not see below 0°F from new, and trucks located in areas where the ambient temperatures routinely fall below 0°F (18° C) during the winter, it is required to use 5W40 synthetic engine oil.

Not trying to argue, I just thought the factory fill was 10W30 but I also wanted to get the break in oil out as well.

I thought that's why they came out with service bulletin 09-011-20.
There is no break in oil in any vehicles its been a long time since they did that and they fill with 5w40 because it is safe for all climates

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I was unaware that they put 5w40 in from the factory, but on that note when I did the oil change on my 2022 3500 at 1668 miles there was hardly any metal particles in the bottom of my semi white plastic 5 gallon square container.

BTW @H3LZSN1P3R the Cooper At3 Xlt tires have been working out good from your advice and running 60 psi.

Users who are viewing this thread