Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotella T6 5w-40 Availability

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the factory fill was 10W30 For all trucks 19-22, regardless of model year since not all trucks would not see below 0°F from new, and trucks located in areas where the ambient temperatures routinely fall below 0°F (18° C) during the winter, it is required to use 5W40 synthetic engine oil.

Not trying to argue, I just thought the factory fill was 10W30 but I also wanted to get the break in oil out as well.

I thought that's why they came out with service bulletin 09-011-20.

TSB 09-011-20 was issued becuase owners AND dealers were using 15W40 that was allowed in the pre-CGI engines.

It's my understanding the factory fill is 5W40 because they don't know where/when those engines will be sold and put into service.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
I couldn't locate any 5w40 today
Try home depot if you have one close , i was at my local one yesterday and they had 24 gallons but only 3 on the shelf and the rest up top in there high up storage. I just asked them to get me 12 gallons down so i had plenty for a while. $24/gallon here in idaho.

Firebird

Reaction score
Try home depot if you have one close , i was at my local one yesterday and they had 24 gallons but only 3 on the shelf and the rest up top in there high up storage. I just asked them to get me 12 gallons down so i had plenty for a while. $24/gallon here in idaho.
Our Home Depot has none

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Fleet farm or Farm and fleet whatever it is called in your area is the place to go to.
Their deals are unbeatable and I have never experienced a shortage, just looked a few weeks ago and the shelves were full of this oil.
11$+uncle sam per Gallon??? are you kidding me???? LOL
The other day I bought 10 Gallons and use that for anything which needs oil. Motorcycle, generator, lawn mower and of course the Cummins.
Screenshot 2022-01-15 194921.jpg

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Fleet farm or Farm and fleet whatever it is called in your area is the place to go to.
Their deals are unbeatable and I have never experienced a shortage, just looked a few weeks ago and the shelves were full of this oil.
11$+uncle sam per Gallon??? are you kidding me???? LOL
The other day I bought 10 Gallons and use that for anything which needs oil. Motorcycle, generator, lawn mower and of course the Cummins.
View attachment 30128
I looked online at my 2 local Fleet Farm that are 70 and 80 miles away, both listed 1 gallon jugs in stock. So I get on the phone and called both stores and nope nada online inventory is incorrect, I also asked about 2.5 and 5 gallon pals and nope on that as well.

Firebird

Reaction score
I looked online at my 2 local Fleet Farm that are 70 and 80 miles away, both listed 1 gallon jugs in stock. So I get on the phone and called both stores and nope nada online inventory is incorrect, I also asked about 2.5 and 5 gallon pals and nope on that as well.
I'm going to try our local Tractor Supply

red

Reaction score
I just checked Canadian Tire in my neck of the woods. The Pacific Place store in Calgary has 22 x 5gal pails in stock.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I'm going to try our local Tractor Supply
My local Tractor Supply had nothing but empty shelves 1 gal, 2.5 gal 5 gal, so I asked the help desk about if they have any coming in while I was there and they told me none in stock anywhere and none on order.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I just checked Canadian Tire in my neck of the woods. The Pacific Place store in Calgary has 22 x 5gal pails in stock.
Looks like Canada is hoarding all the T6, Ha Ha.

Nick

Reaction score
I personally use nothing but Amsoil. Order it online and it ships right to the door. Their signature series oil and filters are really high quality. I will have no concerns running my new 2022 to 15,000 miles as recommended by Cummins (when it gets here! lol). I wouldn't stretch any other brand that far. Although the Penzoil synthetic is also supposed to be very good as well but not sure if they have a diesel oil yet. I know friends that buy the cheapest oil on sale and honestly don't seem to have issues... Personal choice I guess.
All Oil has to meet certain benchmarks regardless of brand . It is all marketing and advertising . Cummins states u can run it for 15000 . It doesn't state any spefic oil to run because they must meet the engine manufactors specifications. Amsoil has no more of a secret blend than any other major oil company that has dumped a ton of money into R+R . I find it amusing to see so many people throwing their hard earned money away by changing their oils long before needed . That T6 , Delo, Valvoline is not your Grandads oil . It's all about the additives which is one of the major reasons u can run it that long . HD truck fleets do oil analysis and stretch out oil changes even further . Filter quality that is where people really need to be attentive .Last HD truck I owned was a 2010 with a Cummins 15 liter motor . it was 15,000 oil change interval and the new ones are even further out .

Users who are viewing this thread