Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Slvrhemi85

Reaction score
Well I finally got scheduled for next week. Thing is I might not even take it. I'm worried about this new chatter about turning your ECU into basically a 23 year model ECU. Don't want problems with the tune.

flan

Reaction score
Well I finally got scheduled for next week. Thing is I might not even take it. I'm worried about this new chatter about turning your ECU into basically a 23 year model ECU. Don't want problems with the tune.
Eh, reading the follow up posts, it seems It may of been a bit exaggerated. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but many have had it done and reloaded without issue.

Phil T

Reaction score
I finally have an appointment for the Y78 recall this Monday, 1/23/23 with McPeeks Ram in Anahiem, CA. I have been on an ignore list with Victorville Motors for over a year. I was checking back with McPeeks a few days ago because I was on their list as well. When I called, a very nice service person, Deseree, told me that they did not have a wait list now and could schedule mine. I jumped on the first available appointment. Today, 1/20/23, I called the parts department just to make sure that they indeed had the parts for my recall. The counterman confirmed that the parts are there, tagged with my information.

So, finally I can have it completed and not worry about driving the truck again. Just in time for a mini vacation to Quartzite next month.

Wish me luck that all goes well.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that my '19 is like a whole new truck to me. I've run it for a few weeks since the work was performed, appx 400mi. The CTD is quieter, smoother, trans cold shift lag from 2-4 is gone and off the line power is up. Piece of mind has been restored and I'm sooo glad I held onto it thru the dark days. She's paid for and sitting in near new cond @ 20Kmi. Happy to see so many others posting up that their day has finally arrived! Congrats!!

4wdiver

Reaction score
Mine was done on 1-13 at Bay Dodge in panama city fl. Chad the service writer is a pleasure to deal with and the tech does great work. cleaned up nicely after the job was done no oil drips anywhere like someone who cares about what he is doing and takes pride in his work. So far it seems to run about the same. according to the dash went from 13.5 to a 15.1 mpg in town driving. haven't noticed any thing else different.

Desertduler

Reaction score
My truck is in the shop today for the Y78 recall. I hate someone else working on my truck, but it is what it is. Hopefully the tech does a good job as I will be checking things out closely.

Phil T

Reaction score
I finally have an appointment for the Y78 recall this Monday, 1/23/23 with McPeeks Ram in Anahiem, CA. I have been on an ignore list with Victorville Motors for over a year. I was checking back with McPeeks a few days ago because I was on their list as well. When I called, a very nice service person, Deseree, told me that they did not have a wait list now and could schedule mine. I jumped on the first available appointment. Today, 1/20/23, I called the parts department just to make sure that they indeed had the parts for my recall. The counterman confirmed that the parts are there, tagged with my information.

So, finally I can have it completed and not worry about driving the truck again. Just in time for a mini vacation to Quartzite next month.

Wish me luck that all goes well.
When I arrived at McPeek's Anaheim, the service advisor looked up my appointment and then told me that there WAS a wait-list and that I was 30 trucks down. I told him that I had spoken with Deseree and she said there was no wait-list and made my appointment. He went and checked with the person that maintains the list and was told to go ahead with mine since they had made the mistake. I guess some other poor bastard gets bumped. Sorry mate.

Slvrhemi85

Reaction score
Ok been debating back in forth about taking it in. I'm concerned about this flashing of the ECU. I have tune. Does anybody have the different versions of the flashes numbers. I thought I seen it on this forum. It was like 7 or 8 numbers with couple letters. Somebody had said "get this flash not that one". Hope y'all understand the question.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
When I arrived at McPeek's Anaheim, the service advisor looked up my appointment and then told me that there WAS a wait-list and that I was 30 trucks down. I told him that I had spoken with Deseree and she said there was no wait-list and made my appointment. He went and checked with the person that maintains the list and was told to go ahead with mine since they had made the mistake. I guess some other poor bastard gets bumped. Sorry mate.
I had a great experience with McPeek. They are really cranking them out. Probably taking advantage of the easy labor bill to FCA.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok been debating back in forth about taking it in. I'm concerned about this flashing of the ECU. I have tune. Does anybody have the different versions of the flashes numbers. I thought I seen it on this forum. It was like 7 or 8 numbers with couple letters. Somebody had said "get this flash not that one". Hope y'all understand the question.
Sofar it seems like only rumour. If you can get them to not flash it thats the best way

thecastle

Reaction score
Whats the debate on flashing? The CP4 pump isn't great, it will likely cause catastrophic and expensive engine failure down the road, which is far more expensive to repair than re-flashing your tune, so get the pump replaced. Especially on a modified truck I'd get the CP4 replaced as soon as possible. With enhanced performance means your pushing more fuel, which means your CP4 is working harder and is probably more on borrowed time than a un-modified truck.

A flash is just software. Re-Flashing isn't a big deal, unless you illegally removed emissions components and the truck will no longer run with the factory software. In that case ask the dealer not to flash your truck (specifically the tech), come clean and tell them you have it modified. If the dealers chimps re-flash anyway. Just take it back to your "tuner" and have them reload the software you purchased, worst case scenario, you get it towed if doesn't run. Dealers flash over peoples custom software all the time, just put it back. It will cost you money, but Its the old you gotta pay to play if you don't have a good relationship with the dealer. Of course you could buy a CP3 kit and have your tuner shop do the conversion and not worry about the dealer doing the recall. You could also buy a second engine computer and swap it in so that if the dealer re-flashes it won't hurt your tuned computer. I've done this with other cars. Or if your really word take a pass on all of this and roll the dice remaining with the CP4

People modify cars all the time and dealers can work with it, its better to just not hide the fact you have it an accept that your warranty will not cover a lot of the powertrain issues due to a reflash and modifications. If thats your worry.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats the debate on flashing? The CP4 pump isn't great, it will likely cause catastrophic and expensive engine failure down the road, which is far more expensive to repair than re-flashing your tune, so get the pump replaced. Especially on a modified truck I'd get the CP4 replaced as soon as possible. With enhanced performance means your pushing more fuel, which means your CP4 is working harder and is probably more on borrowed time than a un-modified truck.

A flash is just software. Re-Flashing isn't a big deal, unless you illegally removed emissions components and the truck will no longer run with the factory software. In that case ask the dealer not to flash your truck (specifically the tech), come clean and tell them you have it modified. If the dealers chimps re-flash anyway. Just take it back to your "tuner" and have them reload the software you purchased, worst case scenario, you get it towed if doesn't run. Dealers flash over peoples custom software all the time, just put it back. It will cost you money, but Its the old you gotta pay to play if you don't have a good relationship with the dealer. Of course you could buy a CP3 kit and have your tuner shop do the conversion and not worry about the dealer doing the recall. You could also buy a second engine computer and swap it in so that if the dealer re-flashes it won't hurt your tuned computer. I've done this with other cars.

People modify cars all the time and dealers can work with it, its better to just not hide the fact you have it an accept that your warranty will not cover a lot of the powertrain issues due to a reflash and modifications. If thats your worry.

The point made was that if it's locked out like the 2022 PCM, it has to be removed, sent in, and bench flashed to the tune of $4K.

since the initial post on FB, I haven't seen any other mention of this issue so I consider it suspect and a rumor at best.

thecastle

Reaction score
Got it. So he's looking for his least expensive option to mitigate the risk for CP4 failure. Personally, I'd wait for the software development company to "crack" the encryption on the new tune. Or diy the CP3 kit as a lower risk option.

BTW that bench flash price seems really high. All the "tunners" buy the same software package and default tune from one company (most likely). Some tuners customize the base tunes some do not, that the dirty secret of tunes they all come from the same source and are based on the same source code/base maps. Before the encryption was cracked on my BMW 335D I had to send it to canada to get it bench flashed. Opening up the DDE (as they called it) and reflashing was a 1K option incuding overnight mail, and tune. I'd shop around for the service, if it is necessary. Find the company that actually makes the tunes for the cummins that everyone else just re-sells and they may even do it for free to have a chance at cracking the new ECU.

I did buy a 2nd DDE for my BMW from a wrecked BMW to send it in to have it flashed so my car was still drivable with the original. You can generally have them cloned for VIN and etc. Can't say specifically on what the RAM developers can do. But the services seem to be pretty much the same no matter what the platform is. But really there are only a handful of companies out there with Software Engineers, Encryption experts and etc that generate all the after market tunes. Tuner shops lack the skills to do this kind of work, but they can turn wrenches and hook up components.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Your chance of your CP4 going out on you are very slim to none. Keep the CP4 put your worries to rest.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Got it. So he's looking for his least expensive option to mitigate the risk for CP4 failure. Personally, I'd wait for the software development company to "crack" the encryption on the new tune. Or diy the CP3 kit as a lower risk option.
you clearly do not understand….

Phil T

Reaction score
I got a call yesterday, 1/25/23 that the truck was done. We went down and picked it up. The drive home is about an hour and a half. When I got home, I noticed fresh oil on the garage floor. It is definitely engine oil. It is directly under the new injector pump. I don't know if it is residual spilled oil from changing the pump, but now I am concerned. I put some cardboard under the area to see exactly where it is dripping and I will crawl under today to see if there is a spot it is coming from. I hope that there is not a leak because taking it back is another 3 hours of drive time if I can wait for it, 6 if I have to leave it and come back.

Johnco

Reaction score
I got a call yesterday, 1/25/23 that the truck was done. We went down and picked it up. The drive home is about an hour and a half. When I got home, I noticed fresh oil on the garage floor. It is definitely engine oil. It is directly under the new injector pump. I don't know if it is residual spilled oil from changing the pump, but now I am concerned. I put some cardboard under the area to see exactly where it is dripping and I will crawl under today to see if there is a spot it is coming from. I hope that there is not a leak because taking it back is another 3 hours of drive time if I can wait for it, 6 if I have to leave it and come back.
It's most likely power steering fluid. They have to route new lines when they replace the pump. I ran into the exact same situation when McPeeks did mine. Grab a flashlight and a couple of rags and you'll find fluid pooled in the top of the steering box. Enjoy the new ride!

Users who are viewing this thread