Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, I’ll take care of it myself. First thing I did was look over the big loom and saw it was properly secured.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
GOTTER DONE :) :) :) Just got home from the 70 minute drive from dealer and all is good. Smells like diesel fuel under hood but I can live with that. Wire tided up and all appears to be dry. Could instantly tell a different idle tone but it wasn’t cold start so interested to hear that. Sat idling as the service manager walking across the parking lot heading home and had to hauler at him ‘’this is how it is supposed to sound’’. I probably sounded like a stupid teenager but he smiled and asked if I was happy and I said, you bet.:rolleyes:

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Somewhat interesting factoid… when I went back in the shop to take a peek at the repair and say hey to the tech I saw that he took off the tire/fender liner and attacked it from the side. He said they only ever repaired one glitter bomb and he said it was a complete mess.

steve49

Reaction score
Somewhat interesting factoid… when I went back in the shop to take a peek at the repair and say hey to the tech I saw that he took off the tire/fender liner and attacked it from the side. He said they only ever repaired one glitter bomb and he said it was a complete mess.
The TSB for the Y78 repair calls for the removal of the tire and wheel well liner, makes sense its more direct to the pump once some of the other items are moved out of the way.

polcat

Reaction score
Another 2019 Y78 completed today. I was expecting to get it done a couple months from now but called to see where I was on the list on Monday. They said they had the parts and I could bring it in this week. Dropped it off this morning at 8:30 and ready to go at 3:00. Other than a diesel smell which seems normal and the fact that the zip tie is missing, so far so good.

Last edited:

thecastle

Reaction score
After a week at one star dodge and no status updates or returned voicemails, I drove by and talked to my "service" advisor. They claim my new pump is going on next Monday and they should be finished by wed with both recalls. So I'll be joining everyone with my 2019 Ram shortly having a more reliable hpfp.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ok, I started to relocate the plug as everyone says it should be from where mine was located. I didn’t like the location as it puts a bind on one end of the plug. Note the arrow pointing to the binding plug. So I relocated it back to where it was until I can make a spacer, so as not to create a bind.

B7652CA1-A370-493F-BD33-0635EE178E72.jpeg6E575A4C-C96E-4AD7-BFCF-1D5DE179366C.jpeg

thecastle

Reaction score
I finally got a call from my "service" advisor Vincent that my truck is ready for pickup today (fuel pump/tail gate recalls). I uber'd up to one star dodge, paid for my oil change and went to take the truck home. I immediately noticed damage to the drivers side door, dented and scratched the paint in big swirl marks. I had the service advisor look, and he said, yeah we didn't mark it down. "We'll fix it." Damnit one star dodge you only had one thing you had to do! So I'm guessing it will be another week to two weeks to get the truck fixed. Already out of service for 2 weeks and counting. No loaner, and $25 down the drain for an uber.... Are there any good ram dealers? I doubt they'll fix this right......

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
One star dodge, such a fitting name..

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I finally got a call from my "service" advisor Vincent that my truck is ready for pickup today (fuel pump/tail gate recalls). I uber'd up to one star dodge, paid for my oil change and went to take the truck home. I immediately noticed damage to the drivers side door, dented and scratched the paint in big swirl marks. I had the service advisor look, and he said, yeah we didn't mark it down. "We'll fix it." Damnit one star dodge you only had one thing you had to do! So I'm guessing it will be another week to two weeks to get the truck fixed. Already out of service for 2 weeks and counting. No loaner, and $25 down the drain for an uber.... Are there any good ram dealers? I doubt they'll fix this right......
Hello,

This is very unfortunate to hear. We are sorry for this experience. Should you wish to discuss this further with us, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Always do a good walk around. Twice. My dealer's lot monkey damaged my truck the first time it was in for service. If you drive it off they will deny doing it. I gave it a quick look and didn't even notice until while I was standing there talking to the service manager, something caught my eye.

The last loaner I had (22 1500) also had a dented bumper and fender. Looked like they backed another vehicle into it. No paint damaged or scratches but pushed in and bent. 2200 miles on the poor thing.

FWIW, I've never had an issue with a return when I didn't (usually picking up in the dark at a Podunk airport lot) but I also try to walk around and take geo-location pics of rental cars with damage. They don't care about the small stuff but if it's bad enough to be easily noticed, they could try to make a claim (and we self insure). For that matter, a quick look at the tires doesn't hurt, I've had cars with 5K miles on them with front tires worn to nothing due to apparent curbings.

72guy

Reaction score
Got the pump swapped out last week on my 2019 3500 SRW CCSB. I never thought the pump sounded loud or that the truck underperformed with only 13000 miles. But I swear, on the first startup, the truck was noticeably quieter and the truck seemed to accelerate and perform better.

I lucked out on mechanics. I introduced myself when I dropped off the truck. You can tell a lot about a person when you first meet them. My tech, I’ll call him Joe, was well groomed, wore a clean pressed company shirt, could speak intelligently about various issues, and had a rock solid handshake. I asked Joe about his experience working with the truck and specifically the pump/fuel system issues. I forgot the exact numbers that Joe quoted. But he said he’d done 30+ pumps alone along with numerous total fuel system swaps and engine rebuilds. A number of Joe’s rebuilds were due to the grid heater bolt/nut failure.

Well, you can guess where this rabbit hole leads. Joe does extra work outside of the dealership and at a price that is affordable and reasonable. After 3 years of doubt about the reliability of my truck due to the pump. I wanted to remove the last, in my mind, major failure issue that could cause me problems down the road. Joe confirmed a Bank’s Ram Air intake would have no impact on the warranty. So, next week, I’m clearing the Bank’s boxes out of the living room. New intake, boost tubes, air box with filters, and a Pedal Monster. Shortly thereafter I plan to do the differential cover, exhaust, and iDash long with a couple of sensors. Lovin’ the truck.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I always take GPS tagged pictures and then do a walk around video of rentals or when dropping my truck off for service, just in case someone says it was / wasn't like that..

thecastle

Reaction score
I got my truck back a few weeks ago after its visit to the body shop due to dealer damage. One star made good on repairs. All is good, the new pump seems to work fine. I do notice the idle is a bit quieter from the outside, the engine seems a bit smoother at idle too from the inside. All in all its good for piece of mind to have a fuel pump that won't as likely fail. But to me its not really much of a change. I do notice that my DPF stays at 0 all the time now even when not towing which is an improvement, less active regens. Also fuel economy seems about the same, to a little better but way to many variables to make a claim. I'm seeing about 14.9mpg around town by computer, where as before I was seeing 13.5mpg. I have not towed since the fuel pump was replaced. This is about the same fuel economy I saw in my twin turbo v8 BMW X5M SUV that was my prior company vehicle. For those who are worried, I see no reason to avoid this recall.... Other than the dealers..

Ddbackhoe

Reaction score
2020 Ram 3500 C&C, just had the pump mod completed. The engine has a longer crank time now, is that normal after the upgrade?
Truck went in last tuesday for no start (both batteries load test bad at home). Dealer said only drivers side was bad so they replaced. Pump that wasnt available ata all, magically showed up and got swapped. Just wish dealer let me know before tearing truck down. Any other time they would have had to schedule another appointment. Of course, the time I really need the truck to move calves, no reschedule.

ccm3rd

Reaction score
I had my pump recall completed last August and did realize an improvement in MPG. Nice to not worry about a potential pump failure anymore. However after 4000 miles a leak in the fuel system developed towards the back of the engine. And the leak was large enough to require towing the truck into the dealership for repairs. According to the technician working the issue the newly installed high pressure pump is leaking. I think what he was trying to say is the high pressure tubing connecting the pump to the fuel rail is leaking at the fuel rail. Regardless we're going on 5 weeks at the dealership now and they can't get parts. I've got the corporate customer service reps involved per the request of the service department and now they're not responding to calls and emails. Love the truck, but customer service sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread