Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

madmax4073

Reaction score
finally got my HPFP recall done and aside form power steering fluid in the recesses of the steering gear box (i cleaned up) , everything is routed correctly. i have noticed an improvement in how the 2019 2500 big horn 4x4 performs ,on drive home from dealership the truck seemed more responsive to the accelerator pedal and seemed to have more get up and go lol. im just glad my ram has this issue fixed. now perhaps i can go out of state on vacation and not worry about it crapping out. (knocks on wood)

Cummingeddon

Reaction score
Just had the HPFP replaced under the Y78 recall two weeks ago. Overall, I’m seeing equal or slightly better performance (May be in my head), but shifting has definitely improved. With the Aisin, my 2-3 shift has always been rough, especially under load. It felt like the truck was trying to defuel just before the transition, but the timing was way off or out of sync with the hand off from 2nd to 3rd. No dealer has ever been able to address it, but the CP3 may have done it for me.

On the more mysterious side, fast forward to today when I brought the truck back in for a “Service 4WD” light (frayed wiring harness from chafing) , and trying to get it done under warranty. The dealer (same one that did the Y78 recall) is saying that when they pull codes, they’re getting one that indicates the truck has a non-factory tune. The tech said the code is something like P1400. This truck is absolutely bone stock except for some aftermarket shocks. Has anyone else run into this “aftermarket tuning“ code after getting the Y78 recall done? I know the PCM software for the 2019s had to be tweaked to accommodate the CP3 if the VB06 recall had already been done. Could it be that the brand new flash software is somehow seen as a tune because it it so new? Maybe that’s a stretch, but I can’t think of anything else. The truck’s never been tuned and no dealership has ever raised this code with me before, even this dealership. The CP3 and the related PCM flash are all that’s changed before this code shows up this morning.

flan

Reaction score
Just had the HPFP replaced under the Y78 recall two weeks ago. Overall, I’m seeing equal or slightly better performance (May be in my head), but shifting has definitely improved. With the Aisin, my 2-3 shift has always been rough, especially under load. It felt like the truck was trying to defuel just before the transition, but the timing was way off or out of sync with the hand off from 2nd to 3rd. No dealer has ever been able to address it, but the CP3 may have done it for me.

On the more mysterious side, fast forward to today when I brought the truck back in for a “Service 4WD” light (frayed wiring harness from chafing) , and trying to get it done under warranty. The dealer (same one that did the Y78 recall) is saying that when they pull codes, they’re getting one that indicates the truck has a non-factory tune. The tech said the code is something like P1400. This truck is absolutely bone stock except for some aftermarket shocks. Has anyone else run into this “aftermarket tuning“ code after getting the Y78 recall done? I know the PCM software for the 2019s had to be tweaked to accommodate the CP3 if the VB06 recall had already been done. Could it be that the brand new flash software is somehow seen as a tune because it it so new? Maybe that’s a stretch, but I can’t think of anything else. The truck’s never been tuned and no dealership has ever raised this code with me before, even this dealership. The CP3 and the related PCM flash are all that’s changed before this code shows up this morning.
Here’s a P1400 code thread, similar situation.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s a P1400 code thread, similar situation.

Post #6

"Alright so an update, the dealer in my town is an idiot. I went to another dealer about 40 minutes away, they discovered the code and upon checking found a service bulletin. They then confirmed it wasn't tagged on the BCU and the software was manufacturer but out of date and their was an update to do for it."

Cummingeddon

Reaction score
Thanks flan. I wish the bulletin was posted so I could refer them to that. In my case I don’t see how the software could be out of date given that this same dealer just flashed it two weeks ago for the CP3 installation, but good to know there might be something out there addressing incorrect P1400 codes.

thecastle

Reaction score
I finally got on the double secret replacement list that Big Star Dodge keeps. I called today to schedule the multiple re-calls open on my 2019. 1-star dodge told me they had fuel pumps in stock and bring it in today, they verified this with the parts department. Scheduled an appointment and brought it to 1 star dodge. Advisor said oh your not on our service advisor list so we can't do the fuel pump recall. I said why did your scheduler/advisor say I could bring it in today and they verified with the parts department the pump was in stock? He said they don't know what their talking about (how professional I thought). I said, it sounds like your dealer has a communications problem.. Why is it every time I come there is yet another hoop I have to jump through, or another list I need to be on to get my recall work done and its not communicated back to me.

Anyway we agreed to drop it off and it will likely sit for 2 weeks and maybe get the recall done when its turn comes up. It is the 3rd time I've attempted to get this dealer to perform the recall work (last 2 times advisor said we could do the repair, then called me 4 days later saying we don't have the part come get the truck and we'll let you know). I'm fortunate I don't daily drive this truck so being without isn't a hardship. I really feel for folks who need their trucks and can't get the recall done quickly, or worse they're making payments on a dead truck because the pump failed. This whole situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth with RAM and Big Star Dodge. I still like my truck, and I'm happy with it. But the RAM service departments at the two dealers near me (Big Star and Ron Cater) are really crap.

These dealers really suck the enjoyment out of these vehicles. But I sure enjoyed taking it to big bend ranch state park and doing some 4x4 and trailer towing with it.

DerKomisar

Reaction score
I got my pump recall done last month. Yesterday morning I remote started the truck and it shut down a few minutes after. When I manually started there was an error message "Service Electronic Throttle Control." I was still able to drive it. I read but did NOT delete the codes, it showed P0088 , Common rail high pressure as pending. The error message persisted but the code stopped showing later that day. Today was warm enough I changed the oil, air, and fuel filters. After charging the fuel system 4 times, I started and the error message was gone. I am not sure what caused it and why it stopped after the fuel filter replacement. I have an appointment at the dealer that did the recall to check it over in March.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Turned it in yesterday morning, and I confirmed it went into the shop before my wife picked me up, I still haven't heard anything, I'll be checking in @ noon if no call by then.

thecastle

Reaction score
@thecastle if it makes you feel any better. I’ve got a 2019 3500HO SRW Limited. Just killing time the other day I went online and built a 2023 with similar specs to my truck. Ended up with an MSRP around $105K. Think I’ll keep what I’ve got. Pump gets replaced 3/1.
I've noticed the same thing. I have the window sticker for my 2019 3500 Big Horn, Mega Cab, SRW HO, Sport Appearance Package, Level 1 + various options was $69,865. When I went on the online configurator the same 2022 truck, same options (2023 no bighorn megacab). It rang up at an MSRP of $81,200, and I guess I get an additional 75lbft of torque for 11K. I'm sure the original purchaser in 2019 didn't pay $69,865 MSRP which makes the current pricing of MSRP+dealer markup gap even larger. I note that RAM truck sales were down 17.8% in 2022 (the most of any domestic brand). I think RAM has discovered peak profits.

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
They wrote down the wrong cell number, left me a text to the wrong number. :rolleyes: They say its done, I will post my thoughts on the Recall later, I have to drive 40 minutes to get back home, from the dealer.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
BTW, I almost traded it in for a used 1500, but damn the prices are ridiculous for a lesser truck, so I just kept what I have.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Done ✔️, sounds quieter and no issues as of now. 3FADEB39-93FD-4128-826C-F6E9D0905451.jpeg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I checked for the tie strap and it is, so where is it supposed to go?

Users who are viewing this thread