Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Razzman

Reaction score
It's most likely power steering fluid. They have to route new lines when they replace the pump. I ran into the exact same situation when McPeeks did mine. Grab a flashlight and a couple of rags and you'll find fluid pooled in the top of the steering box. Enjoy the new ride!
Most likely, same thing happened on mine; leaking power steering fluid. Took it back and they claimed bad PS hose and replaced it. Guessing they screwed it up doing the swap.

Hilly1

Reaction score
It's most likely power steering fluid. They have to route new lines when they replace the pump. I ran into the exact same situation when McPeeks did mine. Grab a flashlight and a couple of rags and you'll find fluid pooled in the top of the steering box. Enjoy the new ride!
Mine did the same, (power steering fluid top of the steering box) there’s little pockets on top that hold the fluid, ran it back they did a better job cleaning it up.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Finally got mine back. Had them also do the tailgate recall, check driver's window chatter (bad plate inside the door, replaced), intermittent heated steering wheel issue (part on order) and low coolant message on startup (coolant tank ordered, sensor integrated in tank). Truck isn't my daily driver, but it does sound a little quieter from what I remember.

Out with the old:
20230119_123559.jpg

In with the new. Yes, cable wasn't routed correctly. Checked before I left and had them correct it. Thanks to this thread I wouldn't have know the difference.
20230126_152430.jpg20230126_162916.jpg

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Hope I’m in the right thread.
Got my pump replaced 2 weeks ago.
Here’s what I have noticed:

Truck has slightly longer crank time. Used to fire over in 1/4 second. Now it’s like 2-3X that.
Noticeable whine-like power steering pump line “buzzing”.

Were we given CP-3 pumps?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hope I’m in the right thread.
Got my pump replaced 2 weeks ago.
Here’s what I have noticed:

Truck has slightly longer crank time. Used to fire over in 1/4 second. Now it’s like 2-3X that.
Noticeable whine-like power steering pump line “buzzing”.

Were we given CP-3 pumps?
CP3.3 pump

Phil T

Reaction score
After watching it for a couple of days, I saw no engine oil on the cardboard, but there is power steering fluid there. It doesn't appear to be a leak, but a gross over fill of the reservoir. The outside of the reservoir showed wetness so I investigated and found that they had topped it off. So as the fluid expanded when hot, overflow happened. This is a rookie mistake. Seven ounces of fluid extra was in the reservoir. I am attaching pictures of how much was in there. I used a syringe to bring it back to the proper level. I will be calling to talk with the service manager to make sure he is aware of what happened.20230127_170726.jpg20230127_171726.jpg20230127_171744.jpg20230127_171756.jpg20230127_173447.jpg

MEGA HO

Reaction score
MAX is clearly marked on the res, WOW! They must have had a mop pusher to the top up.

flan

Reaction score
I noticed there’s a bracket on the new power steering line that does not quite line up with where is supposed to go, it’s a couple inches off the power steering pump. At first I was going to throw a bolt in it but it’s not gonna line up anyways. Anyone else notice if theirs is installed or not? Must look up from under the truck.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Anyone know why I might have a power steering type whine/buzz all the time since pump replacement?

KBob

Reaction score
I noticed there’s a bracket on the new power steering line that does not quite line up with where is supposed to go, it’s a couple inches off the power steering pump. At first I was going to throw a bolt in it but it’s not gonna line up anyways. Anyone else notice if theirs is installed or not? Must look up from under the truck.
If we are talking about the tab on one of the hard tubes, mine didn't line up, and to attach it would have meant bending the tube. It wasn't bolted down, and I wasn't worried about it.

flan

Reaction score
If we are talking about the tab on one of the hard tubes, mine didn't line up, and to attach it would have meant bending the tube. It wasn't bolted down, and I wasn't worried about it.
Yep, that be the one. Seems like a poor design/manufacture to me.

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
Glad to hear Ram did the right thing here. I love my 21H0 And will be ordering a new truck on Monday.

Cummingeddon

Reaction score
KBob or Flan any chance a photo could be posted to show which line/tab you noticed? Or, if it's in the Y78 Recall doc ( https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V880-5163.pdf ), can you refer to it that way? Is it Figure 33 on page 26? I noticed the power steering fluid and the jumper harness routing on the installation on my 2019 from the photos Flan posted earlier, and hoping to track them all down while I'm focused on it. Thanks.

flan

Reaction score
KBob or Flan any chance a photo could be posted to show which line/tab you noticed? Or, if it's in the Y78 Recall doc ( https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V880-5163.pdf ), can you refer to it that way? Is it Figure 33 on page 26? I noticed the power steering fluid and the jumper harness routing on the installation on my 2019 from the photos Flan posted earlier, and hoping to track them all down while I'm focused on it. Thanks.
No, I actually don’t see it in any of the pics in that doc. I won’t be by my truck til tomorrow, I’ll try to remember to grab a pic if nobody beats me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread