Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Oops meant Fog Lights. My Bad

DieselDZ

Reaction score
I just called my dealer to schedule my 12" screen replacement. No Navigation and Guardian has never worked along, with U-Connect, since I ordered my truck back in 2019. I also inquired about the HPFP and they said parts are ready to be ordered and they can only order so many a week, so I am next in line. They didn't have any detail on the pump though when I asked if it's going back to a CP3, so I guess RAM HQ is keeping dealers in the dark to??

DieselDZ

Reaction score
Below is what i got, anyone able to decode these part numbers? Google gives me nothing.

Thank you for contacting Ram regarding your request for assistance with your 2019 RAM D28P91.

Attached below are the part numbers for the Y78 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall:
CSRLY784AA
CSRLY783AA
CSRLY782AA
CSRLY781AA
CSRLY788AA
CSRLY787AA
CSRLY786AA
CSRLY785AA
CSRLY789AA
CSRLY78AAA

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Below is what i got, anyone able to decode these part numbers? Google gives me nothing.

Thank you for contacting Ram regarding your request for assistance with your 2019 RAM D28P91.

Attached below are the part numbers for the Y78 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall:
CSRLY784AA
CSRLY783AA
CSRLY782AA
CSRLY781AA
CSRLY788AA
CSRLY787AA
CSRLY786AA
CSRLY785AA
CSRLY789AA
CSRLY78AAA
Those are what part numbers look like that are specific to a recall, and different than normal part numbers. Unfortunately, they can’t be interpreted by anyone except STAR.

PCPWideeye

Reaction score
UPDATE: Our 2020 2500 Cummins is being shipped back to our dealer in CA from Albuquerque, NM and should be here tomorrow with a new fuel system installed. The wife is happy it will be home but is very concerned about taking this vehicle on long road trips without a full understanding of what is being installed in it. We are also interested to see how FCA/Stellantis takes care of the considerable expenses we accrued during the trip where the vehicle failed. In order to fulfill our obligations for the trip, we ended up renting a Ram 2500 after ours broke down, to tow my trailer and vehicle to the event in Arkansas, returning to Albuquerque to switch rental trucks to a 3500 that had a gooseneck hitch that would accomodate the only trailer we could find that would to tow our broken down 2500 to Arkansas as it was also scheduled to be in the event. Then we had to get everything home and the 2500 back to Albuquerque... Luckily one of my friends that was at the event allowed me to tow my trailer and car back to CA with his Chevy 1500, which was fun until I hit 60 MPH or had crosswinds.

Now that I think about it, we had just filled the vehicle up with a full tank of fuel and were not able to leave the gas station as the truck failed right there, so there is another $100+ that should be reimbursed unless they send it back to us full of untainted fuel. Without looking at the receipts (wife has those) I am guessing we have accrued around $3000 - $4000 worth of expenses due to this failure including the truck they approved us renting to replace our broken down vehicle we have been paying for without being able to use it.

I will say this, the staff at the dealership in Albuquerque has been fantastic through this process! They communicated well and did what they said they were going to do! You can't ask for anything more than that. The folks at FCA have been hit or miss on the phone and could be a lot better. It is like pulling teeth to get information or commitments out of them. I believe there is a training opportunity for FCA in this area, especially when it comes to assigning a case manager as your contact, and that person is never there, and the person you can speak with doesn't have the authority to make any decisions on your case. It feels like calling the government.

The reimbursement portion of this case ought to be interesting... Stay Tuned.

red

Reaction score
UPDATE: Our 2020 2500 Cummins is being shipped back to our dealer in CA from Albuquerque, NM and should be here tomorrow with a new fuel system installed. The wife is happy it will be home but is very concerned about taking this vehicle on long road trips without a full understanding of what is being installed in it. We are also interested to see how FCA/Stellantis takes care of the considerable expenses we accrued during the trip where the vehicle failed. In order to fulfill our obligations for the trip, we ended up renting a Ram 2500 after ours broke down, to tow my trailer and vehicle to the event in Arkansas, returning to Albuquerque to switch rental trucks to a 3500 that had a gooseneck hitch that would accomodate the only trailer we could find that would to tow our broken down 2500 to Arkansas as it was also scheduled to be in the event. Then we had to get everything home and the 2500 back to Albuquerque... Luckily one of my friends that was at the event allowed me to tow my trailer and car back to CA with his Chevy 1500, which was fun until I hit 60 MPH or had crosswinds.

Now that I think about it, we had just filled the vehicle up with a full tank of fuel and were not able to leave the gas station as the truck failed right there, so there is another $100+ that should be reimbursed unless they send it back to us full of untainted fuel. Without looking at the receipts (wife has those) I am guessing we have accrued around $3000 - $4000 worth of expenses due to this failure including the truck they approved us renting to replace our broken down vehicle we have been paying for without being able to use it.

I will say this, the staff at the dealership in Albuquerque has been fantastic through this process! They communicated well and did what they said they were going to do! You can't ask for anything more than that. The folks at FCA have been hit or miss on the phone and could be a lot better. It is like pulling teeth to get information or commitments out of them. I believe there is a training opportunity for FCA in this area, especially when it comes to assigning a case manager as your contact, and that person is never there, and the person you can speak with doesn't have the authority to make any decisions on your case. It feels like calling the government.

Will be interesting to see if it has another CP4 installed...

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Shame you are so far from that dealer. A good dealer is hard to find.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I thought that I have been been in some clusters…what a journey! Keep rocking and let us now the ending of the story. :)

Burton12387

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find out any more info on the part numbers listed above? I haven't been able to get very far with Customer Care. I was hoping we'd get some great news out of @PCPWideeye, but so far I haven't seen a response.

PCPWideeye

Reaction score
So the wife's truck has been back for a couple weeks now. It was shipped here and arrived in one piece...No dings, scratches, etc. So we are very pleased with that. The vehicle seems to be running fine and idles much smoother than before the failure, but I guess it should not that there are no metal shavings in the fuel system. We are in the process of dealing with all of the expenses accrued (and paid out of pocket) during the breakdown on our trip including a 2.5 hour tow of the truck and our trailer from Gallup, NM to Albuquerque, NM based on the Gallup dealerships inability or desire to help us, not to mention the failure at Ram Customer Service giving us a link to an app that wouldn't take the trucks vin in order to start the road side assistance that is part of their warranty and the subsequent rental trucks Customer Care approved along the way (5 in total). We will need to get reimbursed, which I am hoping isn't going to be a fight although they are resisting paying us back for the full tank of fuel that was in the tank right before it failed. The failure caused the dealer to remove all of the fuel, not something we did. In the grand scheme of things that is small potatoes, but it is more about the principle. It could have failed right before I filled up the vehicle with fuel... :D Unfortunately that isn't how it went and we have the fuel bill to prove it (not to mention the dealership was aware it was full before they had to drain it and flush all the metal shavings out of it).

It seems a CP4 pump was installed as part of the repair. We have been trying to get information from customer service as to what is different about this CP4 pump vs. the CP4's that are failing, but customer service isn't offering an explanation and service said it looked just like the original pump that was removed, so that isn't very comforting to us. We use this vehicle to tow quite a bit and the thought of going threw this again while in the middle of nowhere is a bit unsettling. As a result, we are contemplating selling this truck and purchasing a new. We will likely stick with a 2022 Ram (that now has the old CP3 fuel pump in it) unless they jack us around on the expenses we were told to pay for out of pocket that they said they would reimburse. We are very loyal Dodge/Ram/Jeep customers, and so are our family and many of our friends. They are all paying close attention to this case. Stellantis has the ability to turn this unfortunate situation in to a positive for their customers that are caught up in this mess. For us, how they handle the end of this warranty claim will either cement us as loyal, supportive customers or turn us into some other brands loyal customers. This is the sort of thing that can sour you on a brand, especially if they do not treat you as promised.

The saga isn't over just yet...Stay Tuned!

flan

Reaction score
So the wife's truck has been back for a couple weeks now. It was shipped here and arrived in one piece...No dings, scratches, etc. So we are very pleased with that. The vehicle seems to be running fine and idles much smoother than before the failure, but I guess it should not that there are no metal shavings in the fuel system. We are in the process of dealing with all of the expenses accrued (and paid out of pocket) during the breakdown on our trip including a 2.5 hour tow of the truck and our trailer from Gallup, NM to Albuquerque, NM based on the Gallup dealerships inability or desire to help us, not to mention the failure at Ram Customer Service giving us a link to an app that wouldn't take the trucks vin in order to start the road side assistance that is part of their warranty and the subsequent rental trucks Customer Care approved along the way (5 in total). We will need to get reimbursed, which I am hoping isn't going to be a fight although they are resisting paying us back for the full tank of fuel that was in the tank right before it failed. The failure caused the dealer to remove all of the fuel, not something we did. In the grand scheme of things that is small potatoes, but it is more about the principle. It could have failed right before I filled up the vehicle with fuel... :D Unfortunately that isn't how it went and we have the fuel bill to prove it (not to mention the dealership was aware it was full before they had to drain it and flush all the metal shavings out of it).

It seems a CP4 pump was installed as part of the repair. We have been trying to get information from customer service as to what is different about this CP4 pump vs. the CP4's that are failing, but customer service isn't offering an explanation and service said it looked just like the original pump that was removed, so that isn't very comforting to us. We use this vehicle to tow quite a bit and the thought of going threw this again while in the middle of nowhere is a bit unsettling. As a result, we are contemplating selling this truck and purchasing a new. We will likely stick with a 2022 Ram (that now has the old CP3 fuel pump in it) unless they jack us around on the expenses we were told to pay for out of pocket that they said they would reimburse. We are very loyal Dodge/Ram/Jeep customers, and so are our family and many of our friends. They are all paying close attention to this case. Stellantis has the ability to turn this unfortunate situation in to a positive for their customers that are caught up in this mess. For us, how they handle the end of this warranty claim will either cement us as loyal, supportive customers or turn us into some other brands loyal customers. This is the sort of thing that can sour you on a brand, especially if they do not treat you as promised.

The saga isn't over just yet...Stay Tuned!

Just hang tight, starting January your truck will be getting the fuel pump recall and the problematic CP4 will be no longer.

ironmike

Reaction score
So this just happened. 2020 Ram 3500 HO. 20k miles. Zero warning or symptoms. Lost throttle response pulled over 200 miles from home. Engine died. Zero start after death. Dash warning is "Service Electronic Throttle Control". Towed home. Called 3 dealers immediately next day, Ram, Dodge & Chrysler stated they cannot get truck in to diagnose for over 2 weeks+.. I understand holiday season back log. Confirmed that the CP4 has definitely failed and destroyed fuel system. I hear the recall is dead due to no parts or repair procedure in place. What do you guys know are my options? I need this daily driver back asap. Its a $90k paper weight thus far. Extremely disappointed!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4359.jpg
    IMG_4359.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4360.jpg
    IMG_4360.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4361.jpg
    IMG_4361.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4362.jpg
    IMG_4362.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 49

ironmike

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Who told you recall for pump is dead due to parts?
So, I guess by dead I mean, they will not even take your vehicle in if your vehicle falls under the cp4 recall and or has failed and vehicle does not run. They stated we will get letters to let us know that recall parts and procedures are in place to facilitate recall. I was hoping I could get the truck in asap to diag & start the rental truck process that they would cover. I need a vehicle now!!

UglyViking

Reaction score
So, I guess by dead I mean, they will not even take your vehicle in if your vehicle falls under the cp4 recall and or has failed and vehicle does not run. They stated we will get letters to let us know that recall parts and procedures are in place to facilitate recall. I was hoping I could get the truck in asap to diag & start the rental truck process that they would cover. I need a vehicle now!!
I think the issue is that we are so close to the letter coming out is why you're having an issue.

Either way, press the issue. If they don't want/can't fix it due to parts availability you should be getting a loaner. I'd start a star case or contact @RamCares and seek help that way. You may have just gotten a bum dealer.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
I hear the recall is dead due to no parts or repair procedure in place. What do you guys know are my options? I need this daily driver back asap.
You're going to need to get the whole fuel system replaced anyways, so call around and see if any other dealers nearby have the bandwidth to repair it. Get the replacement CP4 installed, and follow up with the recall replacement CP3.3 down the road. You should have a good 10K or so miles as a buffer on the new CP4, which should get you over the hump till the CP3.3 is available.

Look at it this way, you'll get a free fuel filter replacement as a takeaway prize. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread