Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

Iggyg00

Reaction score
Looks like you can my 2019 2500 to the list of victims! Died one morning driving the little guy to school at 40k miles. Towed to the local Ram dealer which so far has been accommodating, that was on 7/30/2021. Dealership got it in that Monday morning and started a star case as the truck completely stopped working. Two months later after replacing the DPF and everything that goes along with a high pressure pump failure, I get a call its done. At this point the shop states that it will be in regen for a while due to the new DPF. Well 2 miles off the lot same issue "DPF full contact dealer". Now The truck is still sitting at the dealership 11/19 with no end in site. First was the fuel test again, mind you the dealership put the fuel in, I didn't even get a chance to pass a gas station. Then it was test the manifold, test the high pressure pump, test the low pressure pump, replace the low pressure pump. All leads back to a high pressure pump failure.

The first pump was the original design CP4
Second pump was the new large dot CP4

I have to say the dealership has been great and the case manager. But enough is enough. This is a known issue and RAM has swapped back to the CP3 on 2021 and up. This is the first RAM I have owned outside of GM trucks.

Very disappointed.

I will update as things progress.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Looks like you can my 2019 2500 to the list of victims! Died one morning driving the little guy to school at 40k miles. Towed to the local Ram dealer which so far has been accommodating, that was on 7/30/2021. Dealership got it in that Monday morning and started a star case as the truck completely stopped working. Two months later after replacing the DPF and everything that goes along with a high pressure pump failure, I get a call its done. At this point the shop states that it will be in regen for a while due to the new DPF. Well 2 miles off the lot same issue "DPF full contact dealer". Now The truck is still sitting at the dealership 11/19 with no end in site. First was the fuel test again, mind you the dealership put the fuel in, I didn't even get a chance to pass a gas station. Then it was test the manifold, test the high pressure pump, test the low pressure pump, replace the low pressure pump. All leads back to a high pressure pump failure.

The first pump was the original design CP4
Second pump was the new large dot CP4

I have to say the dealership has been great and the case manager. But enough is enough. This is a known issue and RAM has swapped back to the CP3 on 2021 and up. This is the first RAM I have owned outside of GM trucks.

Very disappointed.

I will update as things progress.
There is a recall so you should be taken care of now at least

Theb2b

Reaction score
Here is the recall notice, have not received an official notification from Ram yet. This was posted on a different web site.

Attachments

• RCLRPT-21V880-8784.PDF
    212.4 KB · Views: 22

Iggyg00

Reaction score
Anyone have any specifics on what pump will be used in the recall. Hopefully CP3 as the CP4 no matter what the version is going to fail because of the design.

flan

Reaction score
Anyone have any specifics on what pump will be used in the recall. Hopefully CP3 as the CP4 no matter what the version is going to fail because of the design.
That information has not been released yet.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Nope. It's all pure speculation at this point.

For the pessimists like me it means inspection and a slap on the ass.

The optimists will read into the recall and claim all trucks will get sparkly new engines with shiny CP-ISB21S3 pumps and 1075lb.ft on the HO with a new larger input shaft AISIN.

The realists will likely find it falls somewhere in the middle. Perhaps a retrofit CP-ISB21S3. Perhaps a new timing cover set and CP-ISB21S3.

If it were just a simple bolt on swap without pulling the cab off or front end apart, I could imagine they would do that, but it's not that simple.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I'm sticking with the cp3 conversion and keep a pessimistic attitude that I may get reimbursed, or may not... relying on what a corporation may or may not do is futile.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
They should just come out and say what the plan is. The NHTSA does use the words HP fuel pump replacement so I don't see it being just a slap and tickle and on your way. I have seen some say it will be the ECO Diesel CP4 but I believe that is being said as a joke. I am with @elephantrider in believing it will be a CP3 conversion. IMO, There is still a small chance Bosch thinks they have 100% figured out (at least watched the YouTube vids LOL) what in the CP4 design causing the failure and consider the design is fixed with a newly modified CP4.

DesertChicken

Reaction score
Hi, just finally made an account. I’ve been lurking around the site for almost a year now. I got the attached file off “MyRam”. May answer some of the speculation or cause some more (more fun).

Attachments

• E4B4075E-1A0A-433F-BF53-FAB2B3B5C7D3.png
    E4B4075E-1A0A-433F-BF53-FAB2B3B5C7D3.png
    792.6 KB · Views: 78

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
I just got the news today.
I was talking to Ram Cares about a lingering TPMS issue Im having and the guy said “you have an open recall” I said oh, ok what is it? He said to replace the fuel pump and I was pretty happy to hear it was finally happening.
So if the CP4s are failing, why would they just replace it with another defective CP4? Wouldn’t it have to be a CP3?
You would think PCM reprogram indicates it is needed to operate the new CP3 pump (also could be yet another new pump made just for the 2019/20). Unless the reprogram is for something else unrelated to pump?
In other words, if they were just putting in a newer CP-4, why would new PCM program be needed?

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
It HAS to be a CP-3!!!!!
dang it! I love my truck and I want it to be right!

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I just got the news today.
I was talking to Ram Cares about a lingering TPMS issue Im having and the guy said “you have an open recall” I said oh, ok what is it? He said to replace the fuel pump and I was pretty happy to hear it was finally happening.
So if the CP4s are failing, why would they just replace it with another defective CP4? Wouldn’t it have to be a CP3?
You would think PCM reprogram indicates it is needed to operate the new CP3 pump (also could be yet another new pump made just for the 2019/20). Unless the reprogram is for something else unrelated to pump?
In other words, if they were just putting in a newer CP-4, why would new PCM program be needed?
Even the Symmetrical and the Asymmetrical CP4.2s had to have the a different program. Hopefully we are not gonna be stuck with a CP4

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Even the Symmetrical and the Asymmetrical CP4.2s had to have the a different program. Hopefully we are not gonna be stuck with a CP4
Agree, but if its a “safety issue” and all we are getting is a new CP-4, then what “safety” has been added or what has been resolved?

Last edited:

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Man I’d a thought this thread would have exploded with traffic with this announcement?

flan

Reaction score
Man I’d a thought this thread would have exploded with traffic with this announcement?
Meh. It’s a sit and wait scenario as of now. It was a hot topic a couple weeks ago when it was announced.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

About nine threads exploded the week it came, including the big one that was locked/unlocked.

Kind of anti-climatic not yet knowing what specifically they are putting in.

Users who are viewing this thread