Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My CP3 conversion from industrial with a 10mm stroker makes 30kpsi. So people saying CP3s don’t make high enough psi is a lie. I’ve seen is touch 31kpsi from time to time under heavy accel. Cp4 I think are capable of making more psi, but the trucks don’t call for 40kpsi. They are built for around 30kpsi give or take a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These trucks are built to run at 36k psi emissions intact and a 10mm stroker is not a standard cp3 so you cant really compare the two…

Lift89

Reaction score
These trucks are built to run at 36k psi emissions intact and a 10mm stroker is not a standard cp3 so you cant really compare the two…

Ok, so built for 36k yes. But they don’t ever call for that much. And what I’m saying is my 10mm stroker can get all they way to 31kpsi and probably higher if called for. Not to mention I get the relatability of the CP3 with room to grow for fuel mods. I’m fully deleted and it’s a 2020. I wasn’t waiting for FCAs recall. Plus I got reimbursed the $2,600 for it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok, so built for 36k yes. But they don’t ever call for that much. And what I’m saying is my 10mm stroker can get all they way to 31kpsi and probably higher if called for. Not to mention I get the relatability of the CP3 with room to grow for fuel mods. I’m fully deleted and it’s a 2020. I wasn’t waiting for FCAs recall. Plus I got reimbursed the $2,600 for it.

Cool story do you want some sort of cookie? The Cp3.3 that we will be getting from the recall seems to be able to handle up to 40k psi so its most likely better than an overdriven cp3 stroker… also its pretty nice to not have to swap it out myself as i very rarely have 4-6 hrs of free time to work on my own stuff and i wont have to pay anyone when the dealer will do it for free…

Lift89

Reaction score
Cool story do you want some sort of cookie? The Cp3.3 that we will be getting from the recall seems to be able to handle up to 40k psi so its most likely better than an overdriven cp3 stroker… also its pretty nice to not have to swap it out myself as i very rarely have 4-6 hrs of free time to work on my own stuff and i wont have to pay anyone when the dealer will do it for free…

Ok cool guy. Push 40kpsi to your fuel system then and let me know how long it lasts! I dare you! All I’m saying is I swapped mine before the recall and it’s been drive 100% and I get plenty of pressure to keep the injectors and fuel system happy. Not really trying to get into a pissing match with you since you always like to comment on every single persons post and ALWAYS think your information is better. It’s kinda annoying.

Just basically letting to people know out there, since there still ISNT parts for the recall! That they can go to a CP3 with a 10mm stroke or even the S&S no tune one and still get plenty of performance out of it while also getting a reimbursement. And they have have the reliability now vs your philosophy, “you should be fine statistically, so I’d just wait till it takes a crap, and have warranty do it”.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok cool guy. Push 40kpsi to your fuel system then and let me know how long it lasts! I dare you! All I’m saying is I swapped mine before the recall and it’s been drive 100% and I get plenty of pressure to keep the injectors and fuel system happy. Not really trying to get into a pissing match with you since you always like to comment on every single persons post and ALWAYS think your information is better. It’s kinda annoying.

Just basically letting to people know out there, since there still ISNT parts for the recall! That they can go to a CP3 with a 10mm stroke or even the S&S no tune one and still get plenty of performance out of it while also getting a reimbursement. And they have have the reliability now vs your philosophy, “you should be fine statistically, so I’d just wait till it takes a crap, and have warranty do it”.

Parts are out at end of month and they are no longer offering reimbursement according FCA also you get plenty of pressure to your deleted system which calls for LESS PSI the oem setup runs at a peak of 36k PSI or an average of 34k psi this is facts based off of my pid monitors….

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Winning!

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have 5 work trucks with over 145K on them with the CP4 pump and know many more with same amount of mileage with no issue.
So not all go bad but still enough to have that ill feeling.

RP2kids

Reaction score
I am new here I have a 3500 limited dually 2020 truck, just got the notice like a week ago, took the truck and hauled around 10K, at the top of pass the truck started acting real weird, almost like in wrong gear, was real loud knocking, I turned off, tried to start and would not start, went riding for a few hours, came back and it started but def wasn't running right, at high speed it seemed normal, when i slowed at idle it just wasn't working right, first hill coming back the check engine light came on, made it home, now won't start, only has 12K miles, dealer said the can get in on the 29th, does this sound like the fuel pump problem?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I am new here I have a 3500 limited dually 2020 truck, just got the notice like a week ago, took the truck and hauled around 10K, at the top of pass the truck started acting real weird, almost like in wrong gear, was real loud knocking, I turned off, tried to start and would not start, went riding for a few hours, came back and it started but def wasn't running right, at high speed it seemed normal, when i slowed at idle it just wasn't working right, first hill coming back the check engine light came on, made it home, now won't start, only has 12K miles, dealer said the can get in on the 29th, does this sound like the fuel pump problem?

Yes, sounds like a failed pump.

Raidercat

Reaction score
Father in law’s truck just went down with a Cp4 failure, metal in the fuel system. 2020 with 50K. Dealer in Odessa said 2 months for parts, won’t give a loaner truck. Figured they could get them on the road quicker than 2 mos maybe I’m too optimistic. I told her to open a case with Ramcares not sure if that will help or not.

RP2kids

Reaction score
Yes, sounds like a failed pump.

Been in the shop since last week, did the recall and that kind of worked, but a part was bad that they got, replaced that and now it’s throwing a turbo code or something like that, not sure why, they won’t let me know what’s going on, kind of sucks, I have to call to get updates when they say they would.

GTMF

Reaction score
Finally happened!! My 2020 HO just took a crap on me in the mountains, had to get it towed 178 miles paid $930! Was driving at 72mph when felt the surge few times, then full lost of power, engine shut off. Called nearest dealers they said they couldn't get me in until august 22nd so I towed it to the nearest dealer that's by my house. Dropped it first thing in the morning today! Now waiting games begin.

cummins2020

Reaction score
Finally happened!! My 2020 HO just took a crap on me in the mountains, had to get it towed 178 miles paid $930! Was driving at 72mph when felt the surge few times, then full lost of power, engine shut off. Called nearest dealers they said they couldn't get me in until august 22nd so I towed it to the nearest dealer that's by my house. Dropped it first thing in the morning today! Now waiting games begin.
How many miles was on your truck when it crapped out on you??? Yery sorry for all your troubles!

Raidercat

Reaction score
That sux!! Curious if you ran additives or not? Wishing you luck on getting it fixed fast as possible.

GTMF

Reaction score
That sux!! Curious if you ran additives or not? Wishing you luck on getting it fixed fast as possible.
No i have not ran any additives, its my 4th ram diesel and i never ran any additives and never had any issues except this dumb ass cp4! Dealer called me said i have metal shavings in my tank and stuff, so i have to wait for one month and half and they cannot provide a loaner or anything. So im without a truck for month and half. This is so unacceptable!!

GTMF

Reaction score
I have a question, Did any of you guys get a loaner vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread