Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

ironmike

Reaction score
That would even suffice for now, but 3 dealers stated, No way due to falling in the recall. They cannot just repair with the old process of replacing with CP4 components for the previous failed CP4 failures. I have another question. What happens to all the glitter flakes that I confirmed that the pump created? Do those metal flakes actually make it to the injectors and pass through the injectors into the cylinders and now we have metal in each cylinder?

flan

Reaction score
That would even suffice for now, but 3 dealers stated, No way due to falling in the recall. They cannot just repair with the old process of replacing with CP4 components for the previous failed CP4 failures. I have another question. What happens to all the glitter flakes that I confirmed that the pump created? Do those metal flakes actually make it to the injectors and pass through the injectors into the cylinders and now we have metal in each cylinder?
Yes the flakes go through the entire system. They have to replace all the parts anyway they should put in the stop gap CP4 big dimple until new parts get replaced. That’s bs if they don’t, you can be down for months depending on recall kit availability.

ironmike

Reaction score
Yes the flakes go through the entire system. They have to replace all the parts anyway they should put in the stop gap CP4 big dimple until new parts get replaced. That’s bs if they don’t, you can be down for months depending on recall kit availability.
What about injectors and metal that possibly passes the injectors and drop into the cylinders?

flan

Reaction score
What about injectors and metal that possibly passes the injectors and drop into they cylinders?
The injector holes are like the size of a human hair, they will get clogged very quickly with the size flakes the CP puts out when it grenades. Anything that is micro-sized enough to sneak through the hole won’t do any damage.

ironmike

Reaction score
The injector holes are like the size of a human hair, they will get clogged very quickly with the size flakes the CP puts out when it grenades. Anything that is micro-sized enough to sneak through the hole won’t do any damage.
Well that's better to know! Hopefully flakes stop at injectors & hopefully they replace from injectors to tank..:eek: fingers crossed.. I finally got a case # but no manager contact yet.

g00fy

Reaction score
I think you only have to worry about the cylinders if one of those clogged injectors blows apart from trying to contain 30,000psi + .

Hilly1

Reaction score
One would think the trucks that are actually down would have priority on the recall kits. Let’s hope for your sake!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The coming recall has indicated engines will be inspected and possibly replaced if there's any damage internally.

However, until we start seeing reports of what's being done on each case, we won't know anything solid.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Service writer at my local dealership told me recall parts are supposed to be available at end of 1Q.

ironmike

Reaction score
You're going to need to get the whole fuel system replaced anyways, so call around and see if any other dealers nearby have the bandwidth to repair it. Get the replacement CP4 installed, and follow up with the recall replacement CP3.3 down the road. You should have a good 10K or so miles as a buffer on the new CP4, which should get you over the hump till the CP3.3 is available.

Look at it this way, you'll get a free fuel filter replacement as a takeaway prize. ;)
So When i speak to my case manager, I should push for the CP4 & fuel system, hoping for zero contamination past injectors, replacement to get truck back in operation, & wait for the recall parts & procedure to be released after end of 1/4 one, which will be May or beyond, then throw the truck back into shop for the recall?

PCPWideeye

Reaction score
So this just happened. 2020 Ram 3500 HO. 20k miles. Zero warning or symptoms. Lost throttle response pulled over 200 miles from home. Engine died. Zero start after death. Dash warning is "Service Electronic Throttle Control". Towed home. Called 3 dealers immediately next day, Ram, Dodge & Chrysler stated they cannot get truck in to diagnose for over 2 weeks+.. I understand holiday season back log. Confirmed that the CP4 has definitely failed and destroyed fuel system. I hear the recall is dead due to no parts or repair procedure in place. What do you guys know are my options? I need this daily driver back asap. Its a $90k paper weight thus far. Extremely disappointed!!!!
Open up a case with Ram customer care and tell them you need this vehicle as your daily driver. She tows horses and our vehicle with her truck. My wife received a rental 2500 through Enterprise. They will not pay for taxes or airport fees, but they paid the rental fees until it was repaired.

* Like a dummy, I didn't read the rest of the thread before I replied...You just need to ask your case manager for a rental truck that will handle what you use your 3500 for. They were very accommodating with my wife once she got her point across that she purchased it just for this purpose and a Kia wouldn't do the job.

Last edited:

Mikee

Reaction score
I have a 2020 5500 with cp4 failure ,parts are On back order , might be 4 months before I get it back

[MOD: HPFP Recall issued 11-11-2021]

Compliments of @Jimmy07 :

Here’s two advanced communications for it:

[MOD EDIT:]

I hate to see this sub forum get clogged up with multiple random CP4 failure threads, so I'm going to ask that all future pump failures be posted in one thread. This thread.

We welcome everyone to HDRams and are by no means trying to suppress anyone's posts, but beginning Jan 9, 2021, If you sign up to post a pump failure and start a new thread, it will be moved/merged into this thread. This decision is not up for discussion.

If members see a new CP4 failure thread that has not been moved/merged after a day or so, please report to the site staff for resolution.

Thanks for your understanding

I have a 2020 5500 with cp4 failure ,parts are On back order , might be 4 months before I get it back

[MOD: HPFP Recall issued 11-11-2021]

Compliments of @Jimmy07 :

Here’s two advanced communications for it:

[MOD EDIT:]

I hate to see this sub forum get clogged up with multiple random CP4 failure threads, so I'm going to ask that all future pump failures be posted in one thread. This thread.

We welcome everyone to HDRams and are by no means trying to suppress anyone's posts, but beginning Jan 9, 2021, If you sign up to post a pump failure and start a new thread, it will be moved/merged into this thread. This decision is not up for discussion.

If members see a new CP4 failure thread that has not been moved/merged after a day or so, please report to the site staff for resolution.

Thanks for your understanding.
Wondering where those numbers are located on the pump

Mikee

Reaction score
The reason they went to the cp4 is they upped the fuel pressure requirements past what the cp3 could produce now the cp3 has been changed for increased pressure so this could have been the long term plan
Wondering if there's a aftermarket tune on the market that can be installed to bring the preasure up to the pump so the computer thinks your running at 4k when in actually your in the 1k to 15k rpm which means that you are forced preasure into the pump???...

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
What about injectors and metal that possibly passes the injectors and drop into the cylinders?
One of the guys at the local diesel shop told me today’s common rail diesel injector tolerances are so tight, that if you draw a line on a plunger with a sharpie marker, it will be tough to fit the plunger back in.
As was said before, the injector holes are miniscule

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Wondering if there's a aftermarket tune on the market that can be installed to bring the preasure up to the pump so the computer thinks your running at 4k when in actually your in the 1k to 15k rpm which means that you are forced preasure into the pump???...
I'm pretty sure the higher pressure is needed primarily for emissions reasons (EGR and SCR filter). The higher pressure injection allows for a cleaner burn. Even if you could "trick" it to use a lower pressure pump, you'd still have downstream issues with a "dirtier" burn.

Steevo

Reaction score
So, in this entire 11 page thread, how many individual fuel pump failures have been reported? And how many 2019-2020 CTD Ram owners do you think are on this forum?

Lift89

Reaction score
My CP3 conversion from industrial with a 10mm stroker makes 30kpsi. So people saying CP3s don’t make high enough psi is a lie. I’ve seen is touch 31kpsi from time to time under heavy accel. Cp4 I think are capable of making more psi, but the trucks don’t call for 40kpsi. They are built for around 30kpsi give or take a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread