Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

Pumper66

Reaction score
I have a 2020 5500 with cp4 failure ,parts are On back order , might be 4 months before I get it back

[MOD: HPFP Recall issued 11-11-2021]

Compliments of @Jimmy07 :

Here’s two advanced communications for it:

[MOD EDIT:]

I hate to see this sub forum get clogged up with multiple random CP4 failure threads, so I'm going to ask that all future pump failures be posted in one thread. This thread.

We welcome everyone to HDRams and are by no means trying to suppress anyone's posts, but beginning Jan 9, 2021, If you sign up to post a pump failure and start a new thread, it will be moved/merged into this thread. This decision is not up for discussion.

If members see a new CP4 failure thread that has not been moved/merged after a day or so, please report to the site staff for resolution.

Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

delmoniCO

Reaction score
Wow 4 months?!?! I'd be crabby. Details on the parts / failure? Did you have the dimple or non-dimpled pump?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
One and done?

What's the build date? What happened? Covered by warranty? Any issues with warranty coverage?

BLuRRnAWAY

Reaction score
If I had to wait 4 months I would sell the thing and go with a different manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

str_8_shot

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how some here treat new members, so this guy is a "new member" big deal; its a free country, the forum should want new members. He feels wronged by Ram (has concerns) and is attempting to make other persecutive buyers/ current owners aware. He could've used the search function to find pass threads and posted there...SURE, he could've also seen where some "active members" were claiming the "CP4 failure numbers are really low, probably scared Ford owners..." just a few months ago. In hindsight some of you were clearly wrong, as apparent in Rams move back to the CP3. I remember everyone claiming I was trolling without any proof, give the guy a break.

OP sorry to hear about your CP4 failure. I've been there, it sucks! The "in" and "out" dates on my Ram was July - Nov, so its totally believable.

Last edited:

Xflight29

Reaction score
A lot of us have heard everything about the CP4 , just take a look at ALL the forms.
Opinions are just personal expressions.i don't think anyone intentionally said anything wrong. What I don't like are the single statements made in posts with no follow-up. Makes you wonder WTH .

str_8_shot

Reaction score
A lot of us have heard everything about the CP4 , just take a look at ALL the forms.
Opinions are just personal expressions.i don't think anyone intentionally said anything wrong. What I don't like are the single statements made in posts with no follow-up. Makes you wonder WTH .
100% Agreed, that's exactly why I followed up on my thread. Just saying some possible "new members" might be turned away from sharing legitimate issues when they're immediately being meet with hostility. I like Ram and Cummings, but I'm not blind to the fact everything can experience mechanical problems. I understand trolling happens, but so do CP4 failures. lol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, folks can get rather jaded when they perceive trolling.

It doesn't help when you have what appears to be a hit and run:

Joined Saturday at 9:04 AM
Last seen Saturday at 9:09 AM

Maybe OP will be back to tell us more after he works a long hard week, maybe not. I hope he returns to share the outcome with everyone.

Moderating the countless "new" posts about the same issue gets a bit tedious, hence the action taken on this one. I don't think it was hostile nor was it intended to be. No offense meant directly at this new member, everyone is welcome to share their opinion and experiences as long as the posts stay on the rails.

There's a failure poll thread that might be more beneficial and actually show some data points.

There's also the (almost) anything goes CP4 thread:

GBB

Reaction score
I have one of the early cp4’s...Haven’t had a failure yet but been using a Lucas lubricant product in each fillup..anyway I was at the dealership the other day for the bed step recall and I casually asked the service manager if they had experienced any injection pump problems. He got a surprised look on his face and mumble no under his breath and walked away. Was kinda odd...so don’t know if they are trying to keep this under wraps or what. Everything I’ve read some are saying 7~10 failures out of 100. Less in Europe due to better lubricity in their diesel. Guess we’ll never know for sure

str_8_shot

Reaction score
Only Ram knows the true failure numbers, but if there were truly insignificantly low numbers. I suspect you wouldn’t have seen the asymmetrical pump, symmetrical pump and then return to CP3 within 1 year. IMO

Last edited:

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Only Ram knows the true failure numbers, but if they were insignificantly low numbers. I suspect you wouldn’t have seen the asymmetrical pump, symmetrical pump and then return to CP3 within 1 year. IMO

This. That's about the blunt truth of it. There is zero possibility that FCA would have undertaken that many changes which impact a whole lot of things (documentation, engineering support, manufacturing retooling, supply chain, contracting with Bosch, dealer training just to name a few) if the issue was insignificant.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I'm sure the CP3 has been in the works way before any of this happened they don't just design, test and build in less than a year.

GBB

Reaction score
I'm sure the CP3 has been in the works way before any of this happened they don't just design, test and build in less than a year.
The cp3 isn’t new..was used up until the ‘19 model year

str_8_shot

Reaction score
Like was mentioned above cp3 isn't "new" its been around. I don't think any rational person would believe FCA/Ram installed the CP4 pumps with any intentions of returning to CP3 (in just 2 year models). That just doesn't pass the smell test, and the symmetrical CP4.2 was just simply a patchwork repair... until 2021 with Cp3 again.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I'm aware its been around for awhile I have it my 16 2500 its the fact that they felt the need to replace it with the CP4 and fit it to the new platform.

Last edited:

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I'm aware its been around for awhile I have it my 16 2500 its the fact that they felt the need to replace it with the CP4 and fit it to the new platform.

Yes, but the point is that even though the CP3 has been around for a while, it has NOT been in the 19+ vehicles, with the ECU, fuel system routing, etc - period. So, there is a lot more than people think in FCA moving back to the CP3. A lot. Not the least of which is supply chain changes, inventory control, it's a complete change to the power plant build, etc.

Wmhjr

Reaction score

And there is about zero possibility that the CP3 has been in the works since before any of this happened. There is bluntly zero rational explanation as to why they would have changed to the CP4 to begin with if that were the case. Fact is, it's just about absolutely certain that the failure rate of the CP4 is responsible for the CP3 returning to the Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread