Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I noticed this week that my 2020 2500 does not chirp the horn when I leave my truck running and the key fob is in my pocket.

What would be different about my truck?

DSRAM3500Cummins

Reaction score
@RamCares Hello? I’ve seen several people ask where this is going. My hope would be for feedback along the lines of “We really appreciate everyone giving feedback and you’ve been heard. Here is what we’re doing to fix the problem and this is the timeline…

Alligator John

Reaction score
Yes, Please RamCares pass this on and demand a response from the powers that be that we need the ability to disable this problem.

I spend time on a ranch in west texas and a farm in east texas every month. Hunting, unlocking gates, lots of in and out where security is not an issue, and more. For me this feature can not stay. First I am trying the remote fuse bypass that mountainears was kind enough to send me and train it to my two unused homelink buttons. But if that don't work, the three horn chirp is still going away one way or another. Once I figure it out, I will do a thread with pictures of how I went about it.

dogbreath650

Reaction score
Someone above mentioned that as a temp fix you could leave the fob in the truck while you're doing your chores, getting in and out, etc. Won't this be an easy workaround until RAM comes out with a fix? Is there a big downside to this that I'm missing?

Alligator John

Reaction score
I think everyone has different scenarios where it happens. My universal padlock key is on my fob for example. I could keep a separate key chain for it, but I guarantee, I will lose it or forget it if I do.

PrescottNorm

Reaction score
Someone above mentioned that as a temp fix you could leave the fob in the truck while you're doing your chores, getting in and out, etc. Won't this be an easy workaround until RAM comes out with a fix? Is there a big downside to this that I'm missing?
Tried it, after locking truck a few times, the system stopped recognizing the 2nd Fob and went back to three chirps. We need more engineers and less lawyers in future to give our life back to Darwin's best.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried it, after locking truck a few times, the system stopped recognizing the 2nd Fob and went back to three chirps. We need more engineers and less lawyers in future to give our life back to Darwin's best.

You will need to just leave the main fob in the truck for this to work. Two fobs can confuse the truck.

It’s also not a great idea to just leave the 2nd fob in the truck all the time because the truck never seems to fully go to sleep with a fob in it.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It’s also not a great idea to just leave the 2nd fob in the truck all the time because the truck never seems to fully go to sleep with a fob in it.
Huh? What exactly does that mean? I park my truck inside and leave a fob in it, just like I've always left a key in all my other trucks. It's hurting something to do this?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? What exactly does that mean? I park my truck inside and leave a fob in it, just like I've always left a key in all my other trucks. It's hurting something to do this?

From what I’ve read, and to an extent witnessed, the truck senses the key fob in it and keeps some
computers active.

My 22 doesn’t make as many electronic noises as the 18 did, but the 18 always made more electronics noises with the key fob in it. I think the 22’s electronics are just quieter, not that fewer of them are active.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
From what I’ve read, and to an extent witnessed, the truck senses the key fob in it and keeps some
computers active.

My 22 doesn’t make as many electronic noises as the 18 did, but the 18 always made more electronics noises with the key fob in it. I think the 22’s electronics are just quieter, not that fewer of them are active.
My second fob pretty much lives in my truck, in the center console which is about 6” above the front antenna that detects it, and it never wakes the bus up.
If the truck senses the fob, there is no “keeps some computers active”. If it is sensed, it automatically wakes up every module on both buses that are fed battery power. You will know for sure when that happens if you’re sitting in the truck while it’s asleep, because you’ll first hear a faint sound out of the speakers that sounds like a needle being put on a record, and the instrument cluster and start button will illuminate.
Any other noises you hear outside of that, without the cluster coming alive, is just the hvac module doing it’s thing with the doors, and the radio (the radio stays active for one hour after the truck is shut down. This is to allow anything plugged into the media hub usb ports to keep charging).

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My second fob pretty much lives in my truck, in the center console which is about 6” above the front antenna that detects it, and it never wakes the bus up.
If the truck senses the fob, there is no “keeps some computers active”. If it is sensed, it automatically wakes up every module on both buses that are fed battery power. You will know for sure when that happens if you’re sitting in the truck while it’s asleep, because you’ll first hear a faint sound out of the speakers that sounds like a needle being put on a record, and the instrument cluster and start button will illuminate.
Any other noises you hear outside of that, without the cluster coming alive, is just the hvac module doing it’s thing with the doors, and the radio (the radio stays active for one hour after the truck is shut down. This is to allow anything plugged into the media hub usb ports to keep charging).

Maybe something was wrong with my ‘18, but I would hear electronic noises days after leaving a fob inside. That’s way past HVAC noises. I’d pull the fob out and they would stop.

The 22 is just quiet, aside from HVAC stuff, so it’s hard to compare.

mountainears

Reaction score
This came up in a Facebook group. Someone says that the Tazer has a “kill3honk” option.

Who has a Tazer to verify? Haven’t seen this mentioned here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainears

Reaction score
Looks like it came in a recent update.
bcb5a27e4fe9ebe1f2ba5f90e540dc58.jpg

mountainears

Reaction score
And if Tazer can do it now, wouldn’t that mean it could be done with AlphaOBD? [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] ?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
And if Tazer can do it now, wouldn’t that mean it could be done with AlphaOBD? [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] ?

No, AlfaOBD can only change settings that are configurable in the BCM. You connect AlfaOBD, make a change, and remove AlfaOBD, and the change in the BCM stays that way. The tazer has to remain plugged in, and the reason it’s able to defeat the feature is because it’s actively listening on the bus for that message that gets sent when the driver door is closed with fob out of the truck. As soon as it receives that message, it filters out the horn honk message that is requested.

The tazer DT is capable of killing the feature, but it is specifically for the 1500 DT ram. The tazer RAM is the model for the HD rams, and as far as I know, it doesn’t have the kill horn honk feature.

RailRider

Reaction score
Ram Care…. I despise the 3-honk horn function On my 2022 2500 diesel. Please get rid of it or at least make it a configurable option. It is annoying to everyone especially my neighbors.

Btw Ram… I was wondering, why only honk the horn 3 times? What is the point with 3? Why not honk it 10 times, or 17 times? Let me guess, someone thought that 10 or 17 honks would be too annoying. So, let’s be annoying, but not too annoying. The logic.. geez.

Users who are viewing this thread