Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

Spence

Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of guidelines the NHTSA or any of those government agencies have mandating this, but its pretty clear the objective here could be accomplished with a much less obnoxious noise. A ding or a buzz of some kind that wont be heard inside your neighbors living room.

Edit: I agree that toatlly disabling it is even better. Just not sure if this is a mandated thing or not?

Lettikka

Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow for the first time using the big girl to pull the TT. I am going to be the star of the campground when I start her up early to warm up for the coffee run then let the three blasts rip as I head back into the camper for a few.

flan

Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow for the first time using the big girl to pull the TT. I am going to be the star of the campground when I start her up early to warm up for the coffee run then let the three blasts rip as I head back into the camper for a few.
A Laramie does not come with remote start?

Lettikka

Reaction score
Good point, I won't even have to get out of bed to warm her up. The people of KOA thank you.

mountainears

Reaction score
You get a horn chirp on remote start, just one though and I think it can be disabled but not certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lettikka

Reaction score
I am hopeful. I am going to find out when the next Uconnect is scheduled to come out. (Does anyone know this? ) and if a fix is not built into that update I am going to wire an interrupt switch into the horn wire so when I go to leave the truck I can hit the switch to disable the horn before getting out. Of all the solutions this seems like the most straight forward and simple.

mountainears

Reaction score
The next UConnect is out, but it is for 23MY. There hasn’t been a 22MY update in a bit it seems. Guessing you’re waiting for that.

For the switch you could do the fuse bypass interrupt I mentions using a wireless switch. But alas it probably costs more, but may be quicker / easier.

jebruns

Reaction score
I am hopeful. I am going to find out when the next Uconnect is scheduled to come out. (Does anyone know this? ) and if a fix is not built into that update I am going to wire an interrupt switch into the horn wire so when I go to leave the truck I can hit the switch to disable the horn before getting out. Of all the solutions this seems like the most straight forward and simple.
It was discussed earlier in this thread that it may take an ECM update to fix this issue, not just a uConnect update. I don't know either way, but thought I'd mention it.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Forgot about the Fng horn chirps this morning when I started the truck in the dark surrounded by friends and other acquaintances in the campground. Only saw one other guy that was up and he ran right into me cussing Ram and calling the truck a POS. Amazing how one stupid little feature can cause hatred for a vehicle. It just sets me off, especially when I probably woke up several neighbors that were likely going to sleep for at least another couple hours. I may just unhook the horn. It's so slow it's almost useless in a panic situation anyway. What a joke all the way around.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not just Ram, it’s anything new.

The rental Furd F-150, Tacoma, and GM 1500 I’ve had over the last couple moths all do it.

AFF

Reaction score
I thought is was posted here already but if you hold the fob against the second door window when you close the drivers door it won't do the 3 chirps.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought is was posted here already but if you hold the fob against the second door window when you close the drivers door it won't do the 3 chirps.

I haven’t heard of that one… but that doesn’t solve the problem. When I remember about the stupid 3 horn blast I leave the fob in the truck, so it’s the forgetting about it that causes the noise.

44Dan44

Reaction score
I haven’t heard of that one… but that doesn’t solve the problem. When I remember about the stupid 3 horn blast I leave the fob in the truck, so it’s the forgetting about it that causes the noise.
Lol, yep, the remembering part. Here's the video going around if it links properly 1407271783342224

Blythkd1

Reaction score
What really aggravates me is that it's 3 honks, not chirps. I've had other vehicles that emitted a chirp that was plenty audible enough to get your attention when you were near the vehicle but probably wasn't long enough to awaken everyone within 100 yards at a campground. Whoever the ignoramus was that programmed this particular feature obviously doesn't understand the difference between a chirp and a honk. And it doesn't have to be 3. The first one is plenty to get my attention, then I think Fk, here comes 2 more and I can't do a thing about it.

mountainears

Reaction score
I’m kind of surprised more people haven’t finally gone in and fixed it themselves using some of the methods I’ve posted here and others have as well. Yes, they do involve a little bit of work but this is annoying AF as many have reiterated here. It only took me living with it for a couple months to take the time to do it. Ram is not going to deliver on this.

Lettikka

Reaction score
Yeah I was really hoping Ram would come though on this. Planning on implementing the fix on the first available Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread