Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Changes - additives discussion

Which additive do you use? (those mixing select all that apply)

• Total voters

MikeXM

Reaction score
Here is my last iteration on the subject:

I found out that the LX4 left-overs have a tendency to dry-up when leaving an empty bottle for too long. When you fill back the bottle, you find some flakes in the liquid. Those flakes don't seems to dissolve after going back in fresh LX4. I'm not going to put those flakes in my fuel tank... So not more refillable bottles for me.
I found a source for cheap 5oz PET bottles, so now I'm making my own use-once bottles.
The blend I use is the following (for the 31gal tank):
- 3.1oz of LX4
- 2.5oz of EDT
This fills the "5oz" to the brim.

Here is a picture:
20210411_134356.jpg

Not shown in the picture are the required seal liners.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Just seems to be way to much work mixing and bottling, I just use Opti-Lube Additives that already have it mixed in the correct amount for what ever size of tank you are running.

Last edited:

steve49

Reaction score
I'm not doing the mixing and all that, been using Stanadyne Performance Formula for the last six years on my Ecodiesel wCP4 with no issues with the pump. Now using on the 2500 CTD and it has all the various components all in one bottle. I buy it by the case of 24 8oz bottles which gets me through the year, one bottle per fill up. Comes well sealed and the underfloor storage bin holds 8-10 bottles, no leaking. I'm not saying it's any better than any other product out there, but has worked for me!

MikeXM

Reaction score
Its not that much work honesty. And I believe these are the best products out there to protect the CP4 and save some fuel.
That bottling is just my way of getting the exact amount of the products I want in my tank, in a quick and easy way at the fuel station.
To each his own.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
no one is going to address how it can clean and lubricate in one additive...doesnt the cleaner just was off the lube part?

MikeXM

Reaction score
no one is going to address how it can clean and lubricate in one additive...doesnt the cleaner just was off the lube part?
What makes you think it can't do both? For instance, cleaning doesn't mean using a grease solvent. The cleaning agent could be that it makes things not sticky... which reduces build ups for instance.
There are more than just "oil and solvent" in this world.

Catmechanic

Reaction score
Last edited:

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
I’m aggravated with all this.
Glitter bomb possibility is Bad enough.
Feels like we have no concrete facts on probability of it happening or if the fix is coming or just happy talk.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Is that an older bottle of EDT? It doesn't show LX4 on the bottle. Maybe they just changed the label back to the old style label.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
It had a little LX4 sticker on it that I peeled off. Prob using up the old labels that way. Was one of the free gift bottles.

Razzman

Reaction score
So this has been on my mind as well since I bought the truck, even more after reading a few horror stories. After reading all of this I called Hot Shot Secrets and talked with a rep named Larry. Explained my concern to Larry and asked about EDT & LX4. He states EDT w/LX4 has 26% more lubricity over untreated fuel. I asked about using LX4 and his recommendation was EDT at 2oz + 1oz of LX4, he stated that if I'm really concerned that should keep the CP4 well lubricated. Take it for what it's worth, I'm going to run the EDT at minimum. I've only got 4K on the truck and hopefully there's not much scarring.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
paranoia..these pos are exp enough to keep running...diesel aint getting cheaper either

wolfpack

Reaction score
Has anyone used Pittsburgh Power Max Mileage? I just bought a 1/2 gal (64 oz) bottle. It’s a diesel fuel catalyst. You use 1 oz per 25 gal fuel. Supposed to reduce the amount of soot that builds up in the DPF.

A commercial driver I know recommended it to me. It ain’t cheap, but neither are DPFs.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Pittsburgh Power Max Mileage? I just bought a 1/2 gal (64 oz) bottle. It’s a diesel fuel catalyst. You use 1 oz per 25 gal fuel. Supposed to reduce the amount of soot that builds up in the DPF.

A commercial driver I know recommended it to me. It ain’t cheap, but neither are DPFs.

Have you seen anyone with a non-commercial 6.7L in a RAM report their DPF is plugged before say 250,000 or higher miles?

I'm just wondering what the total cost of this over that many miles vs a $400 or $500 cleanout.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Have you seen anyone with a non-commercial 6.7L in a RAM report their DPF is plugged before say 250,000 or higher miles?

I'm just wondering what the total cost of this over that many miles vs a $400 or $500 cleanout.
Good question. I don’t know.

It’s also supposed to boost fuel mileage. I’m running about 15 MPG city right now not pulling anything. I’ll run a tank full and see if and how that changes.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I've read that Max Mileage adds iron to the oil. Anyone know if that causes problems?
It's not as expensive as you think. Here's a cost comparison to Hotshots additives, all based on a 1 gal purchase plus if any shipping and tax.

Diesel Extreme every 6 months = 10oz treats 25 gals = $4.79
Hotshots LX4 is an adder to Extreme or EDT = 2.5oz treats 25 gals = $1.26
Hotshots Every Day Treatment every fuel fill up = 1oz treats 25 gals = $0.631
Pittsburgh Power's Max Mileage = 1oz treats 25 gals =$1.88

I may try it in my Eco as it is a daily driver with a lot of 8-12 mile trips, a definite soot generator.
It's tuned with EGR shut off, but every bit of soot reduction is rewarding, and Max Mileage claims to do that.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Are any of these additives approved by Cummins or Ram?
That all looks like an experiment and could do more harm than good.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Yes, there is one approved by Ram/Cummins.
Additives are not experiments. I have NEVER heard of ANY harm caused by an additive.
There are several examples where an additive cured a problem.
Do some research.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Diesel kleen Power service is the only one that is cummins aproved

Users who are viewing this thread