Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Changes - additives discussion

Which additive do you use? (those mixing select all that apply)

• Total voters

jbncccb

Reaction score
I've used this funnel. It works great an fits two different size bottle openings. Also has a valve so you can keep it closed till you get the neck inserted, then open the valve. No spillage.
92f2eb72ae6c30b2859ad5a16793e5b7.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hoffmann

Reaction score
I've been using the hotshot secret edt in my 2019 so Cummins sense I purchased it, I just crossed over 36k miles. I was changing my rear fuel filter and noticed a decent amount of metal dust in the bottom. I was hoping the hot shot secret would prevent the typical cp4 failure but apparently not. Truck still runs fine, but the metal dust is definitely worrisome. It's going into the dealership tomorrow and we will see what they say.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Correct me, but if the shavings are in your filter why would it be from the pump ? would that not be from the gas tank ? unless the fuel; back feeds to the tank.

Hoffmann

Reaction score
Correct me, but if the shavings are in your filter why would it be from the pump ? would that not be from the gas tank ? unless the fuel; back feeds to the tank.
I'm about 90% positive there is a fuel return line to the tank from the back side of the fuel rail. So the return fuel had metal in it then dumped into the fuel tank then got stuck in the fuel filter housing.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm about 90% positive there is a fuel return line to the tank from the back side of the fuel rail. So the return fuel had metal in it then dumped into the fuel tank then got stuck in the fuel filter housing.
I doubt its from your return but more likely from a fuel station if you were at the point of metal particles from the cp4 your would be hearing an issue with it

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
I tried reading all the specs and pages and developed a headache by page 4. lol
Can the more enlightned ones than I tell me which additive to use?
I'm at 10,000 miles and all the pump talk has me concerned and also took the 2020 Ram Cummins perma-grin off my face :(

MikeXM

Reaction score
I tried reading all the specs and pages and developed a headache by page 4. lol
Can the more enlightned ones than I tell me which additive to use?
I'm at 10,000 miles and all the pump talk has me concerned and also took the 2020 Ram Cummins perma-grin off my face :(

Hot Shot's Secret LX4, full dose. That is your best bet I think.

Product link:

FAIRPRICE

Reaction score
Can someone please post a link for the long neck bottle others have mentioned here. I rather buy in bulk and pour EDT/LX4 with long neck bottle s teas if a funnel but nothing exactly sure what long neck bottle others have referred to. Also, is there a long neck bottle with e 1oz/2oz measuring chamber?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Can someone please post a link for the long neck bottle others have mentioned here. I rather buy in bulk and pour EDT/LX4 with long neck bottle s teas if a funnel but nothing exactly sure what long neck bottle others have referred to. Also, is there a long neck bottle with e 1oz/2oz measuring chamber?
Bud light/ coors light, mouth is measurement chamber........

dieselbeef

Reaction score
so in the old days...for instance my vp 44 trucks..we use super tech marine 2 stroke oil to replace lubricity. 1/2 oz per gallon ive been using....i mix in my transfer tanks...thoughts on this for the same reason as the lx4? does the truck know the diff? also....on another note i have access to red fuel and i know the drill...only issues might be with warranty..think i could get away wth saying its an additive..its a price only hing at this point as its ulsd anyways....but 28 cents a gallon cheaper and i buy about 400 a month so it helps

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Wonder if a large clear turkey baster like this would work for drawing from jug of additive, then squirting in fuel tank?

Attachments

• 75877871-C263-4708-9501-C2EFB9021C32.png
    75877871-C263-4708-9501-C2EFB9021C32.png
    622.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
so in the old days...for instance my vp 44 trucks..we use super tech marine 2 stroke oil to replace lubricity. 1/2 oz per gallon ive been using....i mix in my transfer tanks...thoughts on this for the same reason as the lx4? does the truck know the diff? also....on another note i have access to red fuel and i know the drill...only issues might be with warranty..think i could get away wth saying its an additive..its a price only hing at this point as its ulsd anyways....but 28 cents a gallon cheaper and i buy about 400 a month so it helps
Yep, Supertech was the go-to back when. I still have a case of it. I have read that 2-stoke is a "no, no" with injection systems, especially the CP4 pump. Can't remember where I read that but it stuck in my mind.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
hm...interesting...its thin as diesel...i just wondered if sensors might have an issue...far as inj ..id say itll roll in..

Thorvald

Reaction score
Well I’ve been using EDT & DWAG since the truck was new and can comment on a few things:

I keep the bottles in the rear passenger door storage well in big plastic zip lock bags. The handy bottles with the measuring cup built in leak… both the EDT bottle and the DWAG. The zip lock bags always have liquid some at the bottom and this stuff is damn sticky. Seems no matter how tight I put on the caps.

I picked up one of the small bottles with out the measuring cup and so far so good. However now I have to measure it out. I just use the funnel that comes with the truck under the passenger seat (and keep it in a zip log bag afterwards).

I think I’ll switch to the measured bottles from Amazon like Brutal does.

Cheers
Tim

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
My buddy got a scent proof box for dope heads off Amazon and fastened a couple magnets to it and keeps it in his bed. Works great. I tried it on mine and it doesn't have the stick that his does because of my spray in liner so it would probably bounce off and roll around at some point.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
out loud here....how can it have a cleaner and lubricity...cleaner by its very nature will be negating the lubricity additive..i mean mix oil and brake cleaner....same principal..possibly one doesnt ffset the other but use one at one point and the other at another point..but together seems like snake oil..if it makes ya feel good i guess but ive had a few diesels since 1993 and none ever really needed any kind of cleaner..and ill change inj in a cummins just to see what happens...never seen any needed cleaned by a chemical

Users who are viewing this thread