Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Changes - additives discussion

Which additive do you use? (those mixing select all that apply)

• Total voters

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen better results with xdp over edt. That would be the old style pump. Below is the new style. With the single dimple marking and other dimples below. The designation is the single larger dimple in the circled location. That is the only way to tell is if that single dimple is there the other dimples don’t really mean anything besides what line and what batch. So if you don’t have that single dimple which is in every truck after 9/1/2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the note on EDP vs EDT.

[MOD: HPFP Recall issued 11-11-2021]

Compliments of @Jimmy07 :

Here’s two advanced communications for it:

Last edited:

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Thanks for the note on EDP vs EDT.

No need to keep reposting the same image, your other replies are appreciated and clear enough.

I didn’t select the image apparently it was just going to repost. Yeah I’ve had them tested at minimum dose and max dose and xdp came back better. I’ll find the results they are in my email somewhere.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t select the image apparently it was just going to repost. Yeah I’ve had them tested at minimum dose and max dose and xdp came back better. I’ll find the results they are in my email somewhere.

No worries, and I didn't mean that to be snarky. It's probably tapatalk saving some draft reply...

What is "better?" Lubricity results?

mostcorey95

Reaction score
No worries, and I didn't mean that to be snarky. It's probably tapatalk saving some draft reply...

What is "better?" Lubricity results?

Yes it showed higher lubricity ratings and less water. I just sent a sample from the front filter housing to see how well the rear water separation is working vs a tank sample. Next on my list to do after I recovery from surgery is my air dog 165.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So after doing some research, it looks like the hot shot LX4 lubricity extreme is about the best that you can buy. Any opinions on this. The product is not cheap when bought in small containers. Hot shot sells a1 gallon container for $60 with free shipping. 1oz per 10 gallons. That's almost 1300 gallons of treated fuel at a rate of hauling and only getting 10mpg or 500 a tank. That's pretty good insurance I believe. I signed uo for emails so I can get a coupon and order a gallon jug.

Ps: I've turned 6400 miles now and knock on wood all is good, need to start getting that LX4 in my CP4.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
So after doing some research, it looks like the hot shot LX4 lubricity extreme is about the best that you can buy. Any opinions on this. The product is not cheap when bought in small containers. Hot shot sells a1 gallon container for $60 with free shipping. 1oz per 10 gallons. That's almost 1300 gallons of treated fuel at a rate of hauling and only getting 10mpg or 500 a tank. That's pretty good insurance I believe. I signed uo for emails so I can get a coupon and order a gallon jug.

Ps: I've turned 6400 miles now and knock on wood all is good, need to start getting that LX4 in my CP4.

If you are going the hot shot route use edt so I can keep the build ups out of everything.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Alright explain to a DA in laments terms

EDT is every day treatment from hot shot secrets. It includes lx4 and additives to help keep the system clean. And keep carbon deposits off of injectors.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
EDT is every day treatment from hot shot secrets. It includes lx4 and additives to help keep the system clean. And keep carbon deposits off of injectors.

Ok , so now 2 more questioned,,ok 3.
1:Is hot shot lx4 a highly rated brand?
2: Does the edt have the same amount of lubricity as the full strength stuff and you just have to use more oz per gallons?
3: wtf do you want the deposits for?

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Ok , so now 2 more questioned,,ok 3.
1:Is hot shot lx4 a highly rated brand?
2: Does the edt have the same amount of lubricity as the full strength stuff and you just have to use more oz per gallons?
3: wtf do you want the deposits for?

1) yes it is
2) yes it does have the same content per treatment as if using lx4 alone.
3) you don’t want the deposits. EDT will keep them clean and remove deposits. It has a cleaner besides the lubrication.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
1) yes it is
2) yes it does have the same content per treatment as if using lx4 alone.
3) you don’t want the deposits. EDT will keep them clean and remove deposits. It has a cleaner besides the lubrication.

Tyvm for the help. I'm going to research the edt usage per oz for 10 gallons of usage ss compared to the straight lx4 and compare cost

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score

Now from my research the edt looks more beneficial than the lx4 over all the system. So now I'm trying to figure out if there's any advantage to buying the lx4 at all and what it does that the edt won't. Just trying to figure out the most beneficial treatment for our fuel system to counteract the crappy cp4 performance

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Now from my research the edt looks more beneficial than the lx4 over all the system. So now I'm trying to figure out if there's any advantage to buying the lx4 at all and what it does that the edt won't. Just trying to figure out the most beneficial treatment for our fuel system to counteract the crappy cp4 performance

The edt is designed to be an all in one additive. The lx4 is just lubrication. So overall the lx4 doesn’t clean the system or anything just lubricates.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
The edt is designed to be an all in one additive. The lx4 is just lubrication. So overall the lx4 doesn’t clean the system or anything just lubricates.

I don't know if there open or not today but I've contacted hot shot to find out what advantage there would be to just gettjng the lubricating lx4 instead of the edt wich does it all, cleans and lubricated and has some lx4 in it. I would assume that there going to say that lx4 alone will increase lubricity by 56%. So what amount of lx4 is in the edt mixture and what is the %% off lubricity in the edt bottle. It obviously does a whole Better job but is it like a multi vitamin where its just a fraction of that big 56% lubricity number. If that makes any sense

My last post went to the other thread, I didn't realize brutal started a new thread for us as I was typing, my bad. I know we frown on reposting on multiple threads so for Convience I have copy and pasted my last post so its on this thread.

[mod edit: no worries, just send a PM or report post if any merge or move is needed. Sorry to move mid-reply]

Last edited by a moderator:

mostcorey95

Reaction score
My last post went to the other thread, I didn't realize brutal started a new thread for us as I was typing, my bad. I know we frown on reposting on multiple threads so for Convience I have copy and pasted my last post so its on this thread.
don't know if there open or not today but I've contacted hot shot to find out what advantage there would be to just gettjng the lubricating lx4 instead of the edt wich does it all, cleans and lubricated and has some lx4 in it. I would assume that there going to say that lx4 alone will increase lubricity by 56%. So what amount of lx4 is in the edt mixture and what is the %% off lubricity in the edt bottle. It obviously does a whole Better job but is it like a multi vitamin where its just a fraction of that big 56% lubricity number. If that makes any sense

I don’t know they exact numbers of it but it’s about the same from what I have been told.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I don’t know they exact numbers of it but it’s about the same from what I have been told.

Hot shot is closed today. If that's accurate than there is no advantage to buy the stand alone lx4. I'll be curious to know, because on there website, on the lx4 they say can increase lubricity uo to 56% and on the edt with lx4 mixed in, it must says increases lubricity without a percentage. The edt is a way better deal
Lx4
1 gal jug treats 1280 gallons of fuel , 1oz per 10 gallons mixture $60.00
Edt
1 gal jug treats 3200 gallons of fuel, 1oz per 25 gallons mixture $75.00

Now if the lx4 in the stand alone and the mixture are close to the same %% then it's a no brainer ,, it's the edt. But if the%% in the stand alone lx4 is way higher than the edt than ill be buy-in n the stand alone.
I know everyone is probably like just buy them both and get over it.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Hot shot is closed today. If that's accurate than there is no advantage to buy the stand alone lx4. I'll be curious to know, because on there website, on the lx4 they say can increase lubricity uo to 56% and on the edt with lx4 mixed in, it must says increases lubricity without a percentage. The edt is a way better deal
Lx4
1 gal jug treats 1280 gallons of fuel , 1oz per 10 gallons mixture $60.00
Edt
1 gal jug treats 3200 gallons of fuel, 1oz per 25 gallons mixture $75.00

Now if the lx4 in the stand alone and the mixture are close to the same %% then it's a no brainer ,, it's the edt. But if the%% in the stand alone lx4 is way higher than the edt than ill be buy-in n the stand alone.
I know everyone is probably like just buy them both and get over it.

Yeah that would be your call. On what one you go with but I’ve been using optilube since they came out.

MikeXM

Reaction score
It might have to do with the concentration of the LX4 used in the EDT. That concentration might not be the same as the bottled LX4. So it needs less. At least that is what I'm hoping.

I used EDT since first day out of the dealership and on every tank since.

MikeXM

Reaction score
BTW, for the northern guys: HSS's Diesel Winter Anti-Gel is the same product as EDT but with the anti-freeze added. So, during winter time, you simply switch over to the DWAG and you are still fully protected.
That was confirmed by their customers support team.

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
It might have to do with the concentration of the LX4 used in the EDT. That concentration might not be the same as the bottled LX4. So it needs less. At least that is what I'm hoping.

I used EDT since first day out of the dealership and on every tank since.
Well if you figure per there instruction
Edt 1 oz per 25 gal
Lx4 1oz per 10 gal
By that,, one can assume the edt ( wich has lx4 in it) is more potent or concentrated. But one thing I've learned is assumption is the mother of all flub ups and what would be the point of ever buying the stand alone lx4. That would be stupid on there part .

Users who are viewing this thread