Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

silverheep

Reaction score
Man, I appreciate that. It’s the first pic I’ve seen with canbus colors, connectors and wire colors that match what I have in hand.

I’ll try again tomorrow, though I’m sure I had it plugged in this way at least once today :)
Thanks again
Biggest thing for me - match the color of the plug to the color under the green block - you’ll see there’s one white and one black, just like the plugs.

silverheep

Reaction score
That is the same thing I am getting... However, when trying to get into the Body Control Module, nothing will come up and I can not adjust any items. Sounds like you did get into the Body Module? Strange, I may have to reach out to them. Thank you!
Yep - definitely did get into the BCM, did you verify your harness is correctly wired to the can blocks?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what he's doing with these wire colors or connector colors now, they don't match his online instructions.

The BASE of the blocks are WHITE or BLACK.

The socket on the block itself doesn't matter, they're all electrically the same.

jleslie1234

Reaction score
Biggest thing for me - match the color of the plug to the color under the green block - you’ll see there’s one white and one black, just like the plugs.
That’s interesting. I assumed the BLOCKS themselves were colored…I’ll take a look tomorrow. Appreciate you

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As previously stated, those old instructions don't match what is currently being built. The CAN blocks shown don't even match the new trucks.

In fact, it looks like the SGW is visible in the pic making it a 1500.

djc5768

Reaction score
Edit:
disregard, Im an idiot. The directions for my bypass from BOD Engineering said that the blue plug replaces the green and white wired plug. Well I unplugged that plug from the truck and replaced it with the wire from the harness. Once I followed the correct directions, all is better.

Last edited:

jleslie1234

Reaction score
Trying again today. Reminder: 2024 2500 Rebel. Kaodtech cable. MX+ and new android table. Bluetooth connects. Can read any module.

Photos of canbus blocks under dash. I realize. I the reference to “colors” of blocks refers to their bases. You cannot see the bases on my truck from under dash. But popping off headlight cover you can look in or putting camera very low I can shoot from floor. Black block is the larger and towards driver seat. White block is smaller and toward engine. I’ve included those pics.

Also pics of the Kaodtech harness correctly plugged in black/black and white/white. Then t-harness to one obdc port and then to MX+ module.

Blue tooth connects no problem.

(Next post for AlfaOBD pics)

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 40

jleslie1234

Reaction score
Trying again today. Reminder: 2024 2500 Rebel. Kaodtech cable. MX+ and new android table. Bluetooth connects. Can read any module.

Photos of canbus blocks under dash. I realize. I the reference to “colors” of blocks refers to their bases. You cannot see the bases on my truck from under dash. But popping off headlight cover you can look in or putting camera very low I can shoot from floor. Black block is the larger and towards driver seat. White block is smaller and toward engine. I’ve included those pics.

Also pics of the Kaodtech harness correctly plugged in black/black and white/white. Then t-harness to one obdc port and then to MX+ module.

Blue tooth connects no problem.

(Next post for AlfaOBD pics)
In Run position. Open app. Connect to MX+

Select ram 2500>Body Computer>MY2023 PowerNet

Tried to connect 4 times and then errors out. Dash also sometimes shows faults (side steps and blind spot).

I’ve tried different modules and to read faults etc. I cannot get any data.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0059.jpeg
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0055.jpeg
    IMG_0055.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 22

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
In Run position. Open app. Connect to MX+

Select ram 2500>Body Computer>MY2023 PowerNet

Tried to connect 4 times and then errors out. Dash also sometimes shows faults (side steps and blind spot).

I’ve tried different modules and to read faults etc. I cannot get any data.

Thoughts?
Switch the bypass connectors on the canbus blocks

jleslie1234

Reaction score
Switch the bypass connectors on the canbus blocks
Got this suggestion in fb as well. Did that and now I get this error but I can finally read some data.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 29

jleslie1234

Reaction score
Got this suggestion in fb as well. Did that and now I get this error but I can finally read some data.Alright. If I go into preferences and check “Do not verify ECU model” I can finally see stuff (just trying to lower Tom’s thresholds lol). But I’m a little nervous by this warning on this checkbox…

Alright. If I go into preferences and check “Do not verify ECU model” I can finally see stuff (just trying to lower TPMS thresholds lol). But I’m a little nervous by this warning on this checkbox…

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    850.5 KB · Views: 20

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Alright. If I go into preferences and check “Do not verify ECU model” I can finally see stuff (just trying to lower TPMS thresholds lol). But I’m a little nervous by this warning on this checkbox…
It’s fine. The verification warning just means the bcm variant and version isn’t in alfaobd’s database yet. Send him the debug log so he can include it in his next update. In the meantime, everything with alfaobd will work fine on your truck.

jleslie1234

Reaction score
FWIW I heard back from AlfaOBD

I made change to TPMS threshold and it stuck. But thought I’d share this message:

Attachments

• IMG_0065.png
    IMG_0065.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 90

djc5768

Reaction score
After changing the TPMS threshold on my 2023 Ram 2500, I now have a permanent code of U0001 and a couple of other codes. Are these something that will go away over time? I tried clearing the code with MX+ thought the OBDLink app, but didn't clear.
Well I got all the codes to clear except for the U0164 by doing the abs initialization. Will this code not clear due to the by pass cable? I am using the BOD Engineering cable, not sure if that is a possible issue? Also I noticed today that sometimes my truck says 1500 Bighorn on the dash start up screen. Anybody got any idea why that would have changed after the TPMS threshold change?

precycled

Reaction score
2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Big Horn crew cab 4x4 here:

1. Can anyone confirm that the ECRI Security Gateway Bypass Module works with OBDLink MX+? It seems like it is easier to use than the Kodetech.

2. I would like to use my Macbook instead of my Android phone. Will AlphaOBD and OBDLinkMX+ work with a Macbook or do I need to buy the Android software instead?

3. OBDLink MX+ is going for $112 right now but there are people on Facebook Marketplace selling new units for $65-70. They look legit and have the same packaging, but the low price makes me suspicious. Are there counterfeits out there that look like the real thing?

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Big Horn crew cab 4x4 here:

1. Can anyone confirm that the ECRI Security Gateway Bypass Module works with OBDLink MX+? It seems like it is easier to use than the Kodetech.

2. I would like to use my Macbook instead of my Android phone. Will AlphaOBD and OBDLinkMX+ work with a Macbook or do I need to buy the Android software instead?

3. OBDLink MX+ is going for $112 right now but there are people on Facebook Marketplace selling new units for $65-70. They look legit and have the same packaging, but the low price makes me suspicious. Are there counterfeits out there that look like the real thing?
1) The ecri bypass will work, but it’s harder to use on an HD Ram than the kaodtech style bypass because you have to remove the instrument cluster to install it.

2) Alfaobd does not work with iOS, so you either need to get an android device or windows laptop. JScan is similar to alfaobd, and works with iOS.

3) Instead of the MX+, you can use the vlinker MC+, which is much cheaper and has the same capabilities as the MX+

precycled

Reaction score
1) The ecri bypass will work, but it’s harder to use on an HD Ram than the kaodtech style bypass because you have to remove the instrument cluster to install it.

2) Alfaobd does not work with iOS, so you either need to get an android device or windows laptop. JScan is similar to alfaobd, and works with iOS.

3) Instead of the MX+, you can use the vlinker MC+, which is much cheaper and has the same capabilities as the MX+
Is the Android version as good as the iOS version? I was thinking of using my Macbook instead of my Samsung Galaxy phone because software versions usually have more features and are easier to use than phone apps. Is there anything that JScan can't do that AlfaOBD can and vice versa, or are they virtually identical as far as capabilities? I am buying this stuff to turn add fog lights and a factory switch to a non-fog light truck, but I will probably do some other mods like add an auxiliary switch cluster, a power sliding rear window, and front facing or bed cargo camera.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Is the Android version as good as the iOS version? I was thinking of using my Macbook instead of my Samsung Galaxy phone because software versions usually have more features and are easier to use than phone apps. Is there anything that JScan can't do that AlfaOBD can and vice versa, or are they virtually identical as far as capabilities? I am buying this stuff to turn add fog lights and a factory switch to a non-fog light truck, but I will probably do some other mods like add an auxiliary switch cluster, a power sliding rear window, and front facing or bed cargo camera.
There is no iOS version of alfaobd at all. It’s only available for android or windows. There’s nothing really one can do more than the other. It’s definitely easier using the android version with a phone rather than carrying the bulkier laptop around in the truck.

JScan and alfaobd are about the same for capability, there’s a few trad-offs:
Alfaobd can backup your current configuration so you have a restore point, and can store your configuration so you can use it to compare to other truck’s configurations. JScan can’t.
JScan can program fobs, alfaobd can’t.
Alfaobd cost a little more, and can be used on unlimited amount of vehicles. JScan is cheaper, but each license is for one VIN.

precycled

Reaction score
There is no iOS version of alfaobd at all. It’s only available for android or windows. There’s nothing really one can do more than the other. It’s definitely easier using the android version with a phone rather than carrying the bulkier laptop around in the truck.

JScan and alfaobd are about the same for capability, there’s a few trad-offs:
Alfaobd can backup your current configuration so you have a restore point, and can store your configuration so you can use it to compare to other truck’s configurations. JScan can’t.
JScan can program fobs, alfaobd can’t.
Alfaobd cost a little more, and can be used on unlimited amount of vehicles. JScan is cheaper, but each license is for one VIN.
Ok. Thanks for your help! I'm sure I will be back with more questions once I have I have everything in hand and ready to use.

Users who are viewing this thread