Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Uconnect 5 12.0 Glitches

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
My metric nav was back to imperial the next day.

However, no “My Pages” resets itself every time I start the vehicle and all the customized LMy Pages” are lost.

Darmichar

Reaction score
I'll add to the chorus of voices here with wireless CarPlay issues. I have recently update the iPhone to 15.2.1 which helped with CarPlay issues itself, but the Uconnect system is buggy AF. Some days it works flawlessly, other days if anything works, it's a miracle.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I'll add to the chorus of voices here with wireless CarPlay issues. I have recently update the iPhone to 15.2.1 which helped with CarPlay issues itself, but the Uconnect system is buggy AF. Some days it works flawlessly, other days if anything works, it's a miracle.
This must be an IOS issue. So far the only issue I have seen on the Android side is Spotify wouldn't launch but after turning the truck off and restart the next day it was working.
What specifically is it doing?

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score

My sentiments exactly.

Some days it works perfectly. Some days its possessed.

I just deleted my iPhone Bluetooth connecting today and went back to wired CarPlay.

Still “loses” my phone completely.

I keep setting up “My Pages” and this past time they stayed customized for about 3 days. Then today I get in and they had reset to the default again.

This system is no where near ready for prime time.

Usually beta testers get s**t for free. You certainly don’t usually pay $90k to test something. They should be paying us.

sstoner911

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly.

Some days it works perfectly. Some days its possessed.

I just deleted my iPhone Bluetooth connecting today and went back to wired CarPlay.

Still “loses” my phone completely.

I keep setting up “My Pages” and this past time they stayed customized for about 3 days. Then today I get in and they had reset to the default again.

This system is no where near ready for prime time.

Usually beta testers get s**t for free. You certainly don’t usually pay $90k to test something. They should be paying us.
I think you are the exception...not that it makes you feel any better... But Iam not seeing people with a lot of issues here or other forums.
I have the same version of UConnect software as you and have not had the same behavior from my UConnect.

I have had my " my pages" reset after using AlphaOBD...but I kind of expect that after that kind of thing.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I think you are the exception...not that it makes you feel any better... But Iam not seeing people with a lot of issues here or other forums.
I have the same version of UConnect software as you and have not had the same behavior from my UConnect.

I have had my " my pages" reset after using AlphaOBD...but I kind of expect that after that kind of thing.
Hmmm…5thgenrams is absolutely littered with UC5 complaints. Same with Wagoneer, Pacifica, and Durango, which all use the same software. Pacifica and Durango have already had UC5 since MY2021, and still countless issues.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I do find the phone losing it's wireless connection to Android Auto but it's not that often and reconnects within 30 seconds or less...it doesn't seem to interrupt music being played from Spotify...I just see the screen switch from the Home screen to the Android Auto Screen so it seems the Bluetooth isn't interrupted between Spotify ? Just Android Auto?

sstoner911

Reaction score
Hmmm…5thgenrams is absolutely littered with UC5 complaints. Same with Wagoneer, Pacifica, and Durango, which all use the same software. Pacifica and Durango have already had UC5 since MY2021, and still countless issues.
I guess "Littered" is subjective..I would be more interested in units sold vs issues.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess "Littered" is subjective..I would be more interested in units sold vs issues.

From what I’ve seen / read in this forum, more than a few new 2022’s already sitting at dealers waiting for full replacement 12” systems. I guess I’ve been lucky thus far, after the most recent software update in both the 12” radio and my iPhone, my truck seems to be working flawlessly. I’ll go knock on some wood now…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darmichar

Reaction score
I wandered into the 5th Gen 1500 Ram Forum on accident looking for this one. There was the same thread over there with the same issues being described here.

Also, kind of off subject but, I just traded in a '18 Silverado gas truck on this one. I never had any issues at all with CarPlay in that truck. The people having issues with Waze can probably chalk that up to the Waze app.
I used it religiously for years and have had nothing but problems with it for the last year or so. I finally gave up using it because it got so bad.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Also most issues I have seen are
I wandered into the 5th Gen 1500 Ram Forum on accident looking for this one. There was the same thread over there with the same issues being described here.

Also, kind of off subject but, I just traded in a '18 Silverado gas truck on this one. I never had any issues at all with CarPlay in that truck. The people having issues with Waze can probably chalk that up to the Waze app.
I used it religiously for years and have had nothing but problems with it for the last year or so. I finally gave up using it because it got so bad.
I kinda look at it like the CP4 issue, a lot of people thought is was some wide spread catastrophic problem....

Turns out it's 4% of units sold give or take...

Darmichar

Reaction score
Also most issues I have seen are

I kinda look at it like the CP4 issue, a lot of people thought is was some wide spread catastrophic problem....

Turns out it's 4% of units sold give or take...
Understood. I'm not saying it's a pervasive issue that effects all trucks, but I've experienced it first hand and it makes the core controls system in the truck pretty much unusable at times.
I also think the Wireless CarPlay and the Uconnect issues are 2 distinctly seperate issues. Updating my phone seems to have corrected a lot of the CarPlay issues, but the Uconnect issues I was attributing to the CarPlay system issues as a whole are still there.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
It is subjective, but when there have been 5 updates issued for UC5 radios since August of 2021, and another one on the way, and there have only been 2 updates for UC4 radios since MY2019, that’s pretty damning that they are having multiple widespread issues.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It is subjective, but when there have been 5 updates issued for UC5 radios since August of 2021, and another one on the way, and there have only been 2 updates for UC4 radios since MY2019, that’s pretty damning that they are having multiple widespread issues.

This most recent software update seemed to fix any glitches I was experiencing. From what you’ve seen are there more software related issues or hardware issues [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] ?

sstoner911

Reaction score
Iam running an old version , 21.b and have not had the problems that the same or newer software versions are having. So there has to be factors out side UConnect software as well.

So many variables with phones and software, it's difficult to nail down the common denominators. It's hard to compare the UC4 and UC5 since the interface and technology features are so vastly different.

If you use Windows PCs you understand frequent updates to fix issues.... Probably Apple too.

Darmichar

Reaction score
Iam running an old version , 21.b and have not had the problems that the same or newer software versions are having.

So many variables with phones and software, it's difficult to nail down the common denominators. It's hard to compare the UC4 and UC5 since the interface and technology features are so vastly different.

If you use Windows PCs you understand frequent updates to fix issues.... Probably Apple too.
Stay on the older version. I just got my truck last Tuesday. The hour+ drive home from the Dealer and all the systems worked flawlessly.
Once I got home I was poking around the menus and connected to the home WiFi and was almost immediately prompted to update the system.
I did so and that's when the issues started.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
This most recent software update seemed to fix any glitches I was experiencing. From what you’ve seen are there more software related issues or hardware issues [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] ?

It’s pretty rare for the hardware to actually fail, and usually when dealers try to replace the hardware, there’s nothing even wrong with it. That’s why there’s star bulletins identifying issues, and they specifically say “if the customer is experiencing such and such, do not replace the radio. A software update will be released”.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s pretty rare for the hardware to actually fail, and usually when dealers try to replace the hardware, there’s nothing even wrong with it. That’s why there’s star bulletins identifying issues, and they specifically say “if the customer is experiencing such and such, do not replace the radio. A software update will be released”.

Makes sense. I see alot of similar behaviors with Deere tractors. Too many new age “mechanics” wanting to swap out whole systems when only minor little parts need diagnosed and changed.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
The number of issues I’m having with the system itself apart from my phone lead me to believe it’s a software issue.

I travel for a living and am in out of various makes and models of rental cars all the time.

I can plug my iPhone into any given rental car and the CarPlay just works. Maybe the systems aren’t always as fancy (but sometimes they are), but never the less.

This is not an isolated incident, even if it’s 4%, 4% of the number of vehicles produced is a TON of vehicles. We’re talking thousands of vehicles. Not to mention all the people who aren’t reporting or boomers who probably can’t work the system and/or don’t care.

Uconnect 5 should not have been released on the general public. It was not ready. Period.

Shark Bait

Reaction score
I have had my Power Wagon for less than a week and it has major issues with my phone. I think I'll do a hard reset and then check for software updates.

Users who are viewing this thread