Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s frustrating. Hopefully that’s something that can be added at the dealer level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snayte

Reaction score
I couldn’t say for sure. They may have recently cut out the digital rear view mirror from that group, and that build was one of them.
I am just guessing but it might be because you have trailer surround view so it does not include the digital camera in the safety group. Here is what mine looks like. I also do not have the trailer tech group in case that matters

1632253189787.png

hotrodssisco

Reaction score
As an update, dealer just sent an email stating that the unavailability of XN1 for the 2500 limited is a system glitch and they are working on fixing it, it should be available to order...
I was in the same basket. limited Level 1 would kick out XN1 cameras and the other way around. Dealer said Good to go Sat. 9/18 and order went thru yesterday.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Well Jimmy07,
Your intel was spot on. I looked at that bighorn on the website and I cant see a plug in bed.... Kind of sucks.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
So the XH7 I’d imagine would be perfect for my situation where I’m towing an RV.

Can someone give me a scenario where you’d use the XN1 system?

Since my build was supposed to have it and it was left off, trying to decide if I really need it or not.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
So the XH7 I’d imagine would be perfect for my situation where I’m towing an RV.

Since my build was supposed to have it and it was left off, trying to decide if I really need it or not.
XH7 is all I wanted, but can see value in XN1. Backing a trailer, taking sharp corners or driving in a lot of traffic. Would be nice to see all around the trailer. But 4 wired cameras was too much to futz around with.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

They are two different “tools” with different uses. XH7 is the equivalent of glancing in your rear view mirror like you normally do. When you have the XH7 camera on the back of your RV while driving, you can look in your rear view mirror and see what is behind you.
XN1 is a surround view system that gives you a birds eye view looking down at all 4 sides of the RV, just like the surround view on the truck. You can use it when backing up, or you can bring up individual camera views of the rear, sides, or front of the RV. It’s up to you how useful it might be to you.

hotrodssisco

Reaction score
XH7 is all I wanted, but can see value in XN1. Backing a trailer, taking sharp corners or driving in a lot of traffic. Would be nice to see all around the trailer. But 4 wired cameras was too much to futz around with.
Or like me backing up into driveway thru a maze of trees-never had before, but hope it helps with blind side checking w/o an assistant handy.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score

Yea. I think the XN1 would be a “nice to have” system, but seems like a lot of work to get installed and I’m guessing it would be tough to incorporate cleanly on an Airstream? XH7 seems like something that is a good compromise and most useful the way I’ll be towing. Don’t think I’m gonna mess with the order.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
With xh7, and truck surround with trailer tech you should have adequate rear/side viewing. Will be much easier to retrofit multiple trailers as well. Xn1 would probably shine for the 102” wide 44ft 5th wheel camper that needs absolutly every view. Otherwise I cant see the trouble being worth it. Especially if you have multiple trailers that are smaller.

hotrodssisco

Reaction score
Yeah, XH7 definitely, XN1 was willing to pass up over limited 1 pkg., but the last remaining question is if the limited 1 package comes with trailer tech stuff; does that include the 12 pin connector with driver module to run the camera setup in the future?

Ickabod

Reaction score
It will be really nice when someone creates an interface for the XN1 so you can see all the camera while inside the RV/TT...

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yeah, XH7 definitely, XN1 was willing to pass up over limited 1 pkg., but the last remaining question is if the limited 1 package comes with trailer tech stuff; does that include the 12 pin connector with driver module to run the camera setup in the future?
No

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
With xh7, and truck surround with trailer tech you should have adequate rear/side viewing. Will be much easier to retrofit multiple trailers as well. Xn1 would probably shine for the 102” wide 44ft 5th wheel camper that needs absolutly every view. Otherwise I cant see the trouble being worth it. Especially if you have multiple trailers that are smaller.

Thanks. Feeling pretty good about just leaving it as. Think I have everything I need.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the Tow Mode Camera, I’ve been paying attention as trucks hit the lots. Three trucks, three different rear bumpers. From what I see, it makes me think that based on which other options / packages you select, you may be able to just purchase the wiring for the Tow mode camera and install it yourself if you have the digital mirror. I’ll post three pictures I’ve seen below. The first, was already shared here but just re-posting for clarity. It shows what the tow mode camera receptacle connection looks like on trucks equipped from the factory. The second image is what appears to be a blank plug plate where the receptacle could be installed, and the last one shows a limited truck with no receptacle and no blank cover or space for one.
ace0e06cc53d6d935c49108f4263503c.jpg

f0de0a9db5fc879380084aec91f6dd81.jpg

aec8ac41fa65b669cca99ebd46715753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royalist_Ram

Reaction score
So essentially there is a Trailer Cam View from the Rear that's linked to the Digital Rearview Mirror (Tow Mode Camera [Wired]), a Trailer Surround View Option, a Tow Mode Camera Wired (No Camera), and an internal view trailer cam, all as separate options?! Very confusing. Mine has the Tow Tech Group B, Safety Group, and Level B but look's like it won't have any of those minus a standard 360 Degree Surround View.

Users who are viewing this thread