Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Ickabod

Reaction score
This dilemma is driving me crazy. I am building a 2500 limited. I want the truck surround view camera system, the trailer surround view system and the tow-mode digital mirror package. The dealer says the trailer surround view system is not available at all due to the chip shortage. This means the only option I have to get the 12 pin is to order XFQ- Mopar trailer camera wiring with no camera. When I select this, I cannot get AVF (Tow Mode camera package), A69 (Level 1 group) or AAN (Tow Technology Group) according to the dealer. The dealer has a call into their corporate sales rep to see why and what my options are...not holding my breath.

JLines

Reaction score
I can’t see how a CJDR dealer would get involved with installing something like XN1 on a trailer, either. The description only mentions “to be installed by dealer”, so it could very well mean the trailer dealer.
If XN1 is going to operate the same as the regular truck surround view, the only two views that can’t be pulled up when going over 8mph are the forward camera, and the surround view (overhead 360 view). The rear view and side camera views can still be pulled up for 10 seconds at a time at any speed.
I’m not sure if XFQ can handle an aftermarket multi-camera system like you are describing you have. I’m sure your current one has some type of video switcher, or process module for the various cameras, and the Aux camera soft key in the radio probably can’t cycle through the different cameras. It might be able to pull up the last view, but you would probably still have to use the manual switch to cycle through them once pulled up.
Thanks for response. If you are talking about a toy hauler or other utility trailer, I don't believe installing cameras would be a big deal for a trailer dealer ... however when you move into camping trailers I can't even see a camper dealer doing that unless each of the cameras are wireless and there is a wireless hub that gets installed in a front compartment. I say this because the one camera most campers have at this time are wireless and draw power from the running lights ... which I hate. Terribly unreliable. So it will be good to find out more details on this as we move forward. Great thread ... hope more details continue to flow regarding this option!!

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thanks for response. If you are talking about a toy hauler or other utility trailer, I don't believe installing cameras would be a big deal for a trailer dealer ... however when you move into camping trailers I can't even see a camper dealer doing that unless each of the cameras are wireless and there is a wireless hub that gets installed in a front compartment. I say this because the one camera most campers have at this time are wireless and draw power from the running lights ... which I hate. Terribly unreliable. So it will be good to find out more details on this as we move forward. Great thread ... hope more details continue to flow regarding this option!!
The trailer surround view is definitely fully wired- 4 digital cameras with 4 coax cables going to a central vision processing module, then from the CVPM a 7-wire harness going to the 12-pin truck connector.

JLines

Reaction score
The trailer surround view is definitely fully wired- 4 digital cameras with 4 coax cables going to a central vision processing module, then from the CVPM a 7-wire harness going to the 12-pin truck connector.
With that said ... I definitely don't see a camper dealer doing it. I had Camping World mess up the install of new fender skirt ... about half dozen screws with screws on each end also screwing into bracket that helps hold skirt and side panels proper distance from frame. Luckily I caught the mistake before I moved trailer off of lot.
One other question though ... if you order XN1 plus XFQ plus Digital Rear View Mirror with Camera it sounds like there will be a separate connector for each on the bumper plus the normal 4 pin and 7 pin trailer connectors for brakes and lights ... so will have an array of 5 connectors back there ... and possibly duplicates of most of those in the bed if you order gooseneck/5th wheel prep option. Could get a little confusing :).

Jimmy07

Reaction score
With that said ... I definitely don't see a camper dealer doing it. I had Camping World mess up the install of new fender skirt ... about half dozen screws with screws on each end also screwing into bracket that helps hold skirt and side panels proper distance from frame. Luckily I caught the mistake before I moved trailer off of lot.
One other question though ... if you order XN1 plus XFQ plus Digital Rear View Mirror with Camera it sounds like there will be a separate connector for each on the bumper plus the normal 4 pin and 7 pin trailer connectors for brakes and lights ... so will have an array of 5 connectors back there ... and possibly duplicates of most of those in the bed if you order gooseneck/5th wheel prep option. Could get a little confusing :).
The 4-pin connector is eliminated, and the 12-pin takes it’s place when a trailer camera option is chosen. The trailer tow camera for the digital rear view mirror, when equipped, is it’s own separate connector at the bumper regardless of any other camera options. So, 3 connectors possible total on the rear bumper.

Ickabod

Reaction score
This dilemma is driving me crazy. I am building a 2500 limited. I want the truck surround view camera system, the trailer surround view system and the tow-mode digital mirror package. The dealer says the trailer surround view system is not available at all due to the chip shortage. This means the only option I have to get the 12 pin is to order XFQ- Mopar trailer camera wiring with no camera. When I select this, I cannot get AVF (Tow Mode camera package), A69 (Level 1 group) or AAN (Tow Technology Group) according to the dealer. The dealer has a call into their corporate sales rep to see why and what my options are...not holding my breath.
As an update, dealer just sent an email stating that the unavailability of XN1 for the 2500 limited is a system glitch and they are working on fixing it, it should be available to order...

JLines

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help ... I think I've finally got it all figured out to place my order. The Digital Rear View Mirror for sure which is included in package with the Trailer Surround View Camera System. I will also be ordering the 5th Wheel Prep. It will be interesting to see if the rear view mirror camera wiring in the bed gets incorporated into the 12 pin connector or not. I wouldn't think the only place for the Digital Rear view mirror trailer camera would be in a separate connector on the bumper when you have the 5th wheel prep. Seems it would make sense to add the rear view trailer camera to the 12 pin connector so there are only two cables going to the trailer instead of three. It would also be interesting to find out if any of the trailer rear cameras have a microphone like is typically on the 5th wheel cameras. I did finally figure out using the Costco and Autobytel configuration sites that you can't select both the Trailer Surround View Camera System AND the older Trailer Camera Wiring w/no Camera option ... it is an either/or situation. As a matter of fact selecting the older trailer camera option after selecting the others want to remove the surround view for both the trailer and truck.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help ... I think I've finally got it all figured out to place my order. The Digital Rear View Mirror for sure which is included in package with the Trailer Surround View Camera System. I will also be ordering the 5th Wheel Prep. It will be interesting to see if the rear view mirror camera wiring in the bed gets incorporated into the 12 pin connector or not. I wouldn't think the only place for the Digital Rear view mirror trailer camera would be in a separate connector on the bumper when you have the 5th wheel prep. Seems it would make sense to add the rear view trailer camera to the 12 pin connector so there are only two cables going to the trailer instead of three. It would also be interesting to find out if any of the trailer rear cameras have a microphone like is typically on the 5th wheel cameras. I did finally figure out using the Costco and Autobytel configuration sites that you can't select both the Trailer Surround View Camera System AND the older Trailer Camera Wiring w/no Camera option ... it is an either/or situation. As a matter of fact selecting the older trailer camera option after selecting the others want to remove the surround view for both the trailer and truck.
I guess I don’t know any other way to explain, or any other pics from schematics to show, that the tow mode camera connection for the digital rear view mirror will NOT be incorporated in the 12-pin trailer connector….either at the bumper, or in the bed of the truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

By that logic, how would the rearview digital tow mode camera be wired to the 4-pin bumper plug that comes on a truck without the camera prep?

IOW, if Jimmy said it's a separate connector, it's a separate connector. ;)

JLines

Reaction score
I guess I don’t know any other way to explain, or any other pics from schematics to show, that the tow mode camera connection for the digital rear view mirror will NOT be incorporated in the 12-pin trailer connector….either at the bumper, or in the bed of the truck.
Sorry ... I got that you said it isn't incorporated. All I'm saying is that it should be to simply reduce number of connectors as well as need to attach one more cable. I know it doesn't take a lot of time ... just one more cable hanging from the 5th wheel pin box. Would just be nice if they did incorporate it.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out. I’ve read this entire thread multiple times and I feel like I still don’t have a clear cut answer on two questions. So based on my build sheet (attached):

1. Will I or will I not have the tow mode camera?
2. If I do not have it, can it be a dealer installed feature? I know when we sat down to order it, that option was tossed around but I seem to remember it was “greyed-out” when I selected other options. Ordered July 29th 20214CF4FACE-5F04-4A9B-B2DB-F34D29CC6E30.jpeg

Thanks for any clarification you can provide

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Does not seem to be listed. You do have Safety, so at least the digital mirror is there. I'm sure in some time it can be custom added.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
My POC is missing X1N

Not sure if it just didn’t make it on the order or if it wasn’t available when the order was placed?

9b45dedff951992c70f0e08bc6ce0891.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
My POC is missing X1N

Not sure if it just didn’t make it on the order or if it wasn’t available when the order was placed?

9b45dedff951992c70f0e08bc6ce0891.jpg
Whatever the case may be, according to that build sheet, you are not getting the trailer surround view system with that order.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Jimmy07, any insight into the two prices for AAU safety? Seems like the package may have been slimmed down, or do follow on camera options drive the price? The ones listed at $1590 do not specifically say digital mirror, and lane assist on the window stickers.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Jimmy07, any insight into the two prices for AAU safety? Seems like the package may have been slimmed down, or do follow on camera options drive the price? The ones listed at $1590 do not specifically say digital mirror, and lane assist on the window stickers.
Not sure what exactly is currently available or not, but on all the build sites, safety group has digital rear view mirror included on all trim levels. It is showing $1590 on the limited, and $1990 on the longhorn. This is because on the Longhorn, BSM is also in that group.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Not sure what exactly is currently available or not, but on all the build sites, safety group has digital rear view mirror included on all trim levels. It is showing $1590 on the limited, and $1990 on the longhorn. This is because on the Longhorn, BSM is also in that group.
Its just odd some of these windows coming out are $1590.479F4136-EA9B-4906-A800-EF08071B545C.png
On my poc it is indeed $1990

Users who are viewing this thread