Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
So I had some questions regarding the different tow / trailer camera options in my 2022 2500 Limited build.

[MOD: Questions answered in post 19 and 20]

I was clogging up the other “order” thread so I’m moving my questions over here to the towing section

I believe @Jimmy07 answered most of my questions brilliantly.

I was confused about:

Tow Mode Camera (Wired) $450 option

vs

Mopar Trailer Camera Wiring w/No Camera $515 option

@Jimmy07 explained:

“Tow Mode Camera (Wired) $450 option- this is the digital camera for the digital rear view mirror that you would attach to the back of a trailer, and plug into the bumper. It’s image will display in the rear view mirror only, and will be selectable between that camera, and the rear view mirror camera that is in the CHMSL.

Mopar Trailer Camera Wiring w/No Camera $515 option- this is the truck wiring prep for the aux trailer cameras 1&2 that have been offered for a few years now, and it would include the 12/7 way trailer connector. This option only preps the truck wiring itself to accept the trailer wiring kit, and has the feature for the aux cameras enabled in the radio. The camera kit with wiring that plugs into the 12 way connector is available separately.”

This pretty much cleared it up for me. I want the Tow Mode Camera (Wired) that is visible via the rear view mirror camera as I will be using this truck to tow a camper.

The second part of this equation is I still can’t figure out what camera is it that goes with this system and where the heck you buy the camera from. I’ve searched and can’t find it anywhere. I assume it’s user error and I don’t know what I’m searching for.

Lastly, how does the:

Trailer Surround View Camera System $995 Option play into this set up?

I thought this was part of the Limited Level 1 Equipment Group, but it is selectable as an independent option AND does not delete the Level 1 Equipment Group when selected which leads me to believe it is in fact an option unto itself.

I’m sure I want it. Just not sure what it does.

Thanks for the help. The options are bewildering at times.

This is only the second truck I’ve ever owned and my first Ram. I’ve been driving my 2011 Ford FX4 Ecoboost for the past 10 years and had planned to drive it another 4 years at least but the need arose for a new vehicle sooner so here we are. I plan on driving this truck for at least 15 years and want to make sure I order exactly what I want.

Attachments

• Ram Truck 2500 2022 Limited 4x4 Crew Cab 6'4 Box Standard Equipment Details | NA.pdf
    69.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 2022 Ram Truck 2500 Limited 4x4 Crew Cab 6'4 Box Price with Options - NADAguides.pdf
    115.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited by a moderator:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the way it looked when I configured all cams on a Limited.

ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENTLIMITED LEVEL 1 EQUIPMENT GROUPInvoiceMSRP
-inc: 17 Speaker harman kardon Premium Sound, CTR Stop Lamp w/Cargo View Camera, Surround View Camera System, Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop, Trailer Reverse Guidance, Digital Rearview Mirror, Adaptive Steering System, Full Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus, Lane Keep Assist
Code: A69$3,851.00$4,185.00
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENTTOW-MODE CAMERA (WIRED)
Code: XH7$415.00$450.00
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENTTRAILER SURROUND VIEW CAMERA SYSTEM
Code: XN1 $916.00$995.00

I'm sure Jimmy07 will detail, but what I gather is the XN1 uses the known 12-pin and the XH7 uses a new (additional) bumper plug.

Lary0071

Reaction score
So what am I getting? Will I have the magical plug to add a camera to the back of my trailers and display it on the rear view mirror?
b27f67a85f7cb7127c5f7931e6510071.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Here's the way it looked when I configured all cams on a Limited.

ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENTLIMITED LEVEL 1 EQUIPMENT GROUPInvoiceMSRP
-inc: 17 Speaker harman kardon Premium Sound, CTR Stop Lamp w/Cargo View Camera, Surround View Camera System, Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop, Trailer Reverse Guidance, Digital Rearview Mirror, Adaptive Steering System, Full Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus, Lane Keep Assist
Code: A69$3,851.00$4,185.00
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENTTOW-MODE CAMERA (WIRED)
Code: XH7$415.00$450.00
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENTTRAILER SURROUND VIEW CAMERA SYSTEM
Code: XN1 $916.00$995.00

I'm sure Jimmy07 will detail, but what I gather is the XN1 uses the known 12-pin and the XH7 uses a new (additional) bumper plug.

Okay. Good. That’s the exact way I ordered my Limited too.

So now I’m curious about camera goes with the $995 trailer surround system.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
So what am I getting? Will I have the magical plug to add a camera to the back of my trailers and display it on the rear view mirror?
b27f67a85f7cb7127c5f7931e6510071.jpg

Nope.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I don't like you any more. Your not my friend.... bummer.

The good thing is you have the safety package, which includes the mirror. I think you just need to buy the tow mode camera.

XH7 Tow-Mode Camera (Wired)

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
So the 12 pin plug will be there waiting?

No, the tow-mode camera has it’s own connection on the bumper. It’s a direct feed to the digital rear view mirror. This is the new for 2022 and is what you should have.

The 12 pin is for the cameras that feed into the UConnect display. It’s a different option that lets you place a camera inside of a horse trailer, for example, and see it in the truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No, the tow-mode camera has it’s own connection on the bumper. It’s a direct feed to the digital rear view mirror. This is the new for 2022 and is what you should have.

The 12 pin is for the cameras that feed into the UConnect display. It’s a different option that lets you place a camera inside of a horse trailer, for example, and see it in the truck.

As far as I can tell, either XFQ or XN1 needs to be selected to get the 12-pin (in addition to a package that includes the truck 360° cams) as they cancel each other out.

@Jimmy07 ?

Icky

Reaction score
On my build sheet for my 3500 Limited I'm working on with the dealer, it shows XN1 grayed out, is it because xh7 is selected? Would you even need xh7 if you had the xn1?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
On my build sheet for my 3500 Limited I'm working on with the dealer, it shows XN1 grayed out, is it because xh7 is selected? Would you even need xh7 if you had the xn1?

AFAIK, XN1 only shows in the Uconnect screen.

XH7 is needed to show in the digital rearview mirror.

Until we get some solid clarification, the way I see it is XN1 gets you surround in the UC5. XH7 gets you a rear camera only in the mirror. If you want both, you have to buy (and mount) both.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that there does appear to be a few hundred dollars upcharge in the prep wiring. I previously thought that if you bought the prep it would at minimum place the 12 pin at the bumper for $515, and also place the 12 pin in the box if you ordered the gooseneck prep pkg. On one of the car market value builders it showed a differing option up charging you an additional two hundred if you have gooseneck prep. So ill eat my words, it apparently cost a little extra for the two 12 pin connections.

I am eager to see the new bumper plug and its location for the tow mode camera. Either way I've got issues, because I will have to bed mount everything. Having a wire connection outside the truck is a no no, for gooseneck/5th towing.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
XH7- Tow mode camera (wired)- $450.
You would choose this option if you already have a package/group selected that includes the digital rear view mirror.

AVF- Tow Mode digital rear view mirror package includes wired tow mode camera- $945. You would chose this package if you want the tow mode camera, but do not want a package/group that includes the digital rear view mirror.
This is a digital camera that can be mounted anywhere you want, and will display in the rear view mirror. It will be the default view when it is plugged in, and the digital camera in the CHMSL will be the default view when it is not plugged in. You can toggle between both views when the tow mode camera is plugged in. This camera system is completely divorced from any other camera system offered, so there should be no reason why this option can’t be equipped when other camera options are chosen.

Here are a few images- one of what the tow mode camera wiring connector looks like that you would plug into a receptacle on the bumper, and one of the location of the bumper receptacle. This is a separate receptacle from the 12/7-pin trailer tow connector. I can’t say for sure, but for 5th wheel prep, this receptacle might also be in the bed, and you would manually switch the connection like you would on a 5th wheel prep with the 12/7 pin connectors.
3D7D35EA-D3A7-475D-841E-666882FED5F0.jpeg
EFE5532D-842F-4BA6-8846-54D7F8D3070B.jpeg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
XN1- Trailer Surround view system- $995.
This is a standalone option, but you must have a package that includes regular truck surround view, and you must have a Uconnect 5 radio. The kit that comes delivered with the truck will have 4 digital cameras, a central vision processing module (CVPM), coax cables to connect the cameras to the CVPM, and the main sections of harness that carry the CVPM’s power, ground, canbus IHS hi/lo, and video output signal (3 wires) to the truck via the 12-pin connector. It is described as “to be installed by the dealer”, and I don’t see any instructions for the kit, so curious to see some that gets this post up the instructions that should be included. I’m sure it involves mounting the cameras on the 4 sides within a certain height range of each other, and calibrating the cameras to the CVPM using fixed points they are looking at.

XFQ- Mopar trailer camera wiring with no camera- $515 ($695 on some build tool sites).
This is the Aux 1&2 trailer camera wiring prep for the truck only, which preps the truck with the 12/7-pin trailer connectors. The kit that has the wiring for the trailer, that plugs into the 12-way truck connector, and one analog camera, is sold separately. A second camera is available separately from that kit. These are just observation cameras that can be mounted anywhere, and you can toggle between the two via the Aux 1&2 camera soft keys on the radio screen.

All the build sites will let you select both XFQ and XN1, but if you have both, it is only possible to use one Aux camera. This is because one of the two aux cameras uses the same video input on the radio as the CVPM for the trailer surround view uses.

Users who are viewing this thread