Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 Do they have a splitter for this so I can keep the plug in the bumper for when I tow my boat and also have a plug in the bed for when I tow my 5er? Also, has anyone done the same thing for the 12/7 pins? I don't want to move the 12/7 pin, but split it somewhere under the bed and have 2 connectors - one in bumper, one in bed.
You could install https://www.amazon.com/MagiDeal-Dual-Male-Y-Splitter-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B071VC4YGH in line at the connection located here-
47F18108-F5B2-465C-B123-6BB64B8B7CDC.jpeg
Plug the original connector back into one of them, and run a female to female fakra z cable to the bed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 Do they have a splitter for this so I can keep the plug in the bumper for when I tow my boat and also have a plug in the bed for when I tow my 5er? Also, has anyone done the same thing for the 12/7 pins? I don't want to move the 12/7 pin, but split it somewhere under the bed and have 2 connectors - one in bumper, one in bed.

The 7/12-pin is already present in both bumper and bed. HOWEVER, only the bed 12-pin will be connected under the truck. You would have to build a splitter and hope it doesn't cause signal interference.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
For anyone thinking about getting the XH7 Trailer Tow Mode Camera (Wired) option, here are pictures of the hardware and a pdf of the instructions I received with my just-arrived 2022 Limited Level 1 3500 DRW with the XH7 option and without the trailer surround camera option. When I have a chance, I'll test wire it up and show how it looks in the digital rear view mirror. But, as a preview, the digital mirror includes a menu option (selectable on the rearview mirror itself) to switch between the normal rearview camera image and the trailer camera. I hope this information helps.

The kit comes in a large bag containing two smaller bags. The kit part number is shown as (P)68527599AA. I'm not sure if the "(P)" is actually part of the part number.
1.jpg
The larger of the two bags includes a 50' cable (15.4m), 40 X 12"cable ties, a docking station (this is a cable end holder, used as a dust cap when the cable is not attached to a truck), and screws to mount the docking station to a trailer.
4.jpg

Detail of the "truck" end of the cable.
5.jpg 6.jpg

Detail of the "camera" end of the cable.
7.jpg

Docking station, open (note closed/blank end)
9.jpg

The smaller bag includes the camera pod, camera bracket, 2 X camera bracket trim covers, mounting screws, 50 X 10" cable ties, and 80 X 8" cable ties.
11.jpg

Camera with bracket and trim/bracket covers. There are no markings on the back of the camera to indicate manufacturer, etc.
12.jpg

Attachments

• Trailer Camera Kit HD.pdf
    274.9 KB · Views: 312

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone thinking about getting the XH7 Trailer Tow Mode Camera (Wired) option, here are pictures of the hardware and a pdf of the instructions I received with my just-arrived 2022 Limited Level 1 3500 DRW with the XH7 option and without the trailer surround camera option. When I have a chance, I'll test wire it up and show how it looks in the digital rear view mirror. But, as a preview, the digital mirror includes a menu option (selectable on the rearview mirror itself) to switch between the normal rearview camera image and the trailer camera. I hope this information helps.

The kit comes in a large bag containing two smaller bags. The kit part number is shown as (P)68527599AA. I'm not sure if the "(P)" is actually part of the part number.
View attachment 23335
The larger of the two bags includes a 50' cable (15.4m), 40 X 12"cable ties, a docking station (this is a cable end holder, used as a dust cap when the cable is not attached to a truck), and screws to mount the docking station to a trailer.
View attachment 23338

View attachment 23339 View attachment 23340

View attachment 23341

View attachment 23343

The smaller bag includes the camera pod, camera bracket, 2 X camera bracket trim covers, mounting screws, 50 X 10" cable ties, and 80 X 8" cable ties.
View attachment 23344

Camera with bracket and trim/bracket covers. There are no markings on the back of the camera to indicate manufacturer, etc.
View attachment 23345

Does your truck have the 12/7-pin connector in the bumper?

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Yes. I have both the 12/7-pin connector (on the right side of the license plate location) as well as a separate trailer camera connector-Fakra? (on the left side of the license plate location).
Because I also optioned the fifth wheel/gooseneck prep, I also have a 12/7-pin connector in the bed...but, no trailer camera connector in the bed.
12_7 Connector.jpg Trailer Camera Connector.jpg

owdiss78

Reaction score
Does your truck have the 12/7-pin connector in the bumper?

I looked at my truck invoice from the dealer and it shows xh7 so I guess I will be getting this kit with my 3500 limited with 5th wheel prep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 23335
View attachment 23338

View attachment 23341

View attachment 23343

View attachment 23344

View attachment 23345

I somehow missed this option when I was ordering mine. I thought I included it, but after looking at the POC and the Build Sheet it isn’t on the truck. I do have the digital rearview mirror and the trailer surround view though. I’m hoping I can work with the techs at my ordering dealer and have the truck half of this system installed at the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
Well from the instuctions

"THE TRAILER CAMERA KIT SYSTEM IS DESIGNED TO WORK WITH A MAXIMUM OF 15.4 METERS OF CABLE, ADDITIONAL CABLE
LENGTH WILL CREATE AN UNSTABLE VIDEO IMAGE."

So I guess that kinds makes is hard to put on my 42' camper, 15.4 meters is 50'
Would be really cool of someone could put a 10' extension on it and see what it does to the quality.

Also what are the chances that the plug can be moved to the bed for us fifth wheel guys that got forgotten about!

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Hardest part in moving to bed will be finding a place to put a square cut out. We need someone to post if the plug has a part number off the back of it. Maybe Jimmy007 knows what size coax the plug is so we can dummy plug the unused plug in the bumper when not in use, like the xfq wiring.

TXsportDiver,​

Would you be willing to pop it out of your bumper trim to see if it has a part number, and what style of connection is on the back of it? (truck side)

dsneill

Reaction score
Yes. I have both the 12/7-pin connector (on the right side of the license plate location) as well as a separate trailer camera connector-Fakra? (on the left side of the license plate location).
Because I also optioned the fifth wheel/gooseneck prep, I also have a 12/7-pin connector in the bed...but, no trailer camera connector in the bed.
View attachment 23355 View attachment 23356
my dealer told me it is a dealer addable option, and gave me a price of $1245 (seems high) but the part is backordered and had no pricing for the truck side of the install if needed. I ordered the digital mirror and 5th wheel prep to my truck build. i guess we will see when it gets here.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Hardest part in moving to bed will be finding a place to put a square cut out. We need someone to post if the plug has a part number off the back of it. Maybe Jimmy007 knows what size coax the plug is so we can dummy plug the unused plug in the bumper when not in use, like the xfq wiring.

TXsportDiver,​

Would you be willing to pop it out of your bumper trim to see if it has a part number, and what style of connection is on the back of it? (truck side)
Here are pics and more info on the truck side of the tow camera connection. The connector on the truck shows as P68508681AA

The connector seems to be the Fakra coax Jimmy07 has called out.

The connector and hole are keyed in sort of an E shape vs being a square hole. At it's widest, the hole is 1 1/2" and at it's tallest, the hole is 2 1/8". A rectangular hole may well work. But, definitely have the connector on hand before making any cuts.

20211012_135057.jpg

20211012_135106.jpg

20211012_135121.jpg
20211012_135159.jpg
20211012_135212.jpg
20211012_135557.jpg
20211012_135719~2.jpg
The connector trim plate is approx 2 1/2" tall X 2 3/8" wide

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score

View attachment 23335
View attachment 23338

View attachment 23341

View attachment 23343

View attachment 23344

View attachment 23345

Awesome info. Thank you. Exactly the info I was looking for. That will work perfect on my 30’ Airstream

Webracin

Reaction score
I might just buy the blank cover if we can find the part number for it and relocate the plug to the bed ( if there is enough slack in the cable).

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
My guess is that you will have to add an extension to the cable, which depending on how exact that 50' limit is may or may not effect the video quality.

This is great info to have TXsportDiver thank you for posting it. Look forward to seeing what you think of the video quality, kinda holding off on ordering a truck to see where this goes.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
My guess is that you will have to add an extension to the cable, which depending on how exact that 50' limit is may or may not effect the video quality.

This is great info to have TXsportDiver thank you for posting it. Look forward to seeing what you think of the video quality, kinda holding off on ordering a truck to see where this goes.
Thank you. I'm happy to help.

My observation of just the video rear view display is that, because it's a wider field of view, objects displayed in it are definitely smaller than how they look in the regular mirror mirror. I suspect that'll be the same with what should be about the same camera mounted on the rear of a trailer. But, off the back of a trailer, I think I'd appreciate that wider field of view even more. The rear view display quality is quite good.

One thing I noticed immediately is the focal plain difference...it's a little off-putting. With a mirror, your eyes are not focusing on the mirror, they're focusing on distant things reflecting in the mirror. With the digital rear view, your eyes must focus on the display itself. Since you've likely just been looking down the road in front of you, there's a little lag while your eyes refocus on the surface of the display. It just takes some getting used to when your brain is expecting a distant focus.

CDNgoat

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm happy to help.

My observation of just the video rear view display is that, because it's a wider field of view, objects displayed in it are definitely smaller than how they look in the regular mirror mirror. I suspect that'll be the same with what should be about the same camera mounted on the rear of a trailer. But, off the back of a trailer, I think I'd appreciate that wider field of view even more. The rear view display quality is quite good.

One thing I noticed immediately is the focal plain difference...it's a little off-putting. With a mirror, your eyes are not focusing on the mirror, they're focusing on distant things reflecting in the mirror. With the digital rear view, your eyes must focus on the display itself. Since you've likely just been looking down the road in front of you, there's a little lag while your eyes refocus on the surface of the display. It just takes some getting used to when your brain is expecting a distant focus.
when someone comes up behind you and they have LED lights , in the digital rear view cam they are strobing, looks a little freaky also, something else to get use to

DougB

Reaction score
And for those of us needing readers to focus on things at arm’s length, the digital mirror is useless. :( Luckily it works as a regular mirror still.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
And for those of us needing readers to focus on things at arm’s length, the digital mirror is useless. :( Luckily it works as a regular mirror still.
I need readers, too. Fortunately, there's still enough distance left to see the digital display. That said, I'm more comfortable with the regular mirror...until a trailer blocks the way.

Users who are viewing this thread