Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So essentially there is a Trailer Cam View from the Rear that's linked to the Digital Rearview Mirror (Tow Mode Camera [Wired]), a Trailer Surround View Option, a Tow Mode Camera Wired (No Camera), and an internal view trailer cam, all as separate options?! Very confusing. Mine has the Tow Tech Group B, Safety Group, and Level B but look's like it won't have any of those minus a standard 360 Degree Surround View.

The Trailer Surround View camera, Digital Rearview mirror, tow mode camera wired, and auxiliary cameras are all separate options. From what I can surmise, the tow mode camera (wired) option might be able to be installed at the dealer level if your truck is already equipped with the digital rearview mirror. The trailer surround view system is a complete kit that will outfit your trailer with 4 cameras that all link to a central vision processing module that plugs into the trucks 12 pin camera wiring plug directly above the 7 pin trailer plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royalist_Ram

Reaction score
The Trailer Surround View camera, Digital Rearview mirror, tow mode camera wired, and auxiliary cameras are all separate options. From what I can surmise, the tow mode camera (wired) option might be able to be installed at the dealer level if your truck is already equipped with the digital rearview mirror. The trailer surround view system is a complete kit that will outfit your trailer with 4 cameras that all link to a central vision processing module that plugs into the trucks 12 pin camera wiring plug directly above the 7 pin trailer plug

Thank you so much for clarification. They should just link all of it into 1 package, it's whateves. I got the Trailer-Tow Group B and Safety Group B, so I'm not complaining.

Webracin

Reaction score
@Jimmy07

I just ordered my 2022 3500 and have the XN1 and XH7. My current truck is a 2019 2500 with the XFQ option and I have the Aux camera installed on my 5th wheel. My question is the current Aux camera uses the 12 pin connector, as does the XN1, so do I have to choose which one I will use when towing, or is there a way to tie in the aux camera to the XN1 harness.

Also, on the XH7, not sure if you answered this or not, but is there a separate camera for this option, and is it included? I would love to use the Aux camera from my XFQ, but dont think that will be possible. Another issue is that the XH7 appears to be only on the bumper, and not in the bed, so this may be an issue with 5th wheels and Goosenecks.

hotrodssisco

Reaction score
@Jimmy07

I just ordered my 2022 3500 and have the XN1 and XH7. My current truck is a 2019 2500 with the XFQ option and I have the Aux camera installed on my 5th wheel. My question is the current Aux camera uses the 12 pin connector, as does the XN1, so do I have to choose which one I will use when towing, or is there a way to tie in the aux camera to the XN1 harness.

Also, on the XH7, not sure if you answered this or not, but is there a separate camera for this option, and is it included? I would love to use the Aux camera from my XFQ, but dont think that will be possible. Another issue is that the XH7 appears to be only on the bumper, and not in the bed, so this may be an issue with 5th wheels and Goosenecks.
As far as it has been explained XH7 is a rear facing TRAILER (or backseat if you want, I guess..) camera that will be hard wired to a separate camera plug to the left of the rear plate. It will display in digital rearview mirror at all times when selected.
XN1 is a TRAILER Surround system (includes 4 cameras and wiring) separate from truck surround to show all sides of the trailer, and includes a processing module outside of anything else installed. Has a 12 pin connector installed above standard trailer 7 pin on right side of plate. It will display in UConnect screen on console, views will be selectable and turn off once under forward motion. See previous page for some great shots of the various plug locations.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of questions.

On trucks with the 5th wheel prep and XH7 is there a XH7 connector in the bed? Or just at the bumper?

I am ordering a 22 Laramie with Level C, Safety Group B, and XH7. Do I also need to order the LPD Center Stop Lamp w/ Camera? It seems to me that with Safety Group B having the Digital Mirror the CHMSL/Camera should be included, but maybe they have a CHMSL w/ Digital Camera and not Cargo View Camera??

Thank you

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I answered one of my own questions. I swung by the dealer and they must have got a delivery as there are a few 22' on the lot that weren't there yesterday. They just about all had the Tow-Mode camera and 5th wheel prep. There is not a plug in the bed. Can't imagine why they did that, but it could be possible to relocate it.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Accessed the 2022 owners manual via the My Ram App and looked up some info on the various cameras. See pics below.
5067fa2f2a95624de1235f1e361117a0.jpg

d80af32d24430f9afe7cab4d0e366fd4.jpg

cb34d43de7901daaf94d08c0218c2258.jpg

917525dee4f8fc24e8843265e1cf8f1f.jpg

2d5965d4f96f55ec5e0a7b3a923c1f31.jpg

759bdc19e10113773b3759868863ffae.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This should clear up the questions regarding using an old old Aux camera trailer side setup with the new trucks.

1633546763239.png

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
Well all I can say is this is some amazing stuff on the new trucks but why do they always take it 90% there and then screw it all up, LOL

1) Why in the heck would they not make the rear camera of the XN1 system also be the camera for the Digital mirror display? You really have to mount two different cameras to the rear and then run seperate cable all the way to the front for both, thats just stupid. Seems like it should be just some programing to use that XN1 read camera for the mirror.

2) For the camera for the digital mirror no hook up in the bed for a fifth wheel!! You got to be kidding me. Although this would not even be an issue if they would just do #1, you wouldn't need it.

Oh and still no Ram Box for the dually, I keep hoping.

On the fence about ordering a new truck, if XN1 was also the read view mirror camera it would make my decision easier.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
Found this for the XN1 camera. Camera cables are 9 meter which is about 29'. My 5ver is 42' long, control module you would have to mount probably in the basement area so I don't know that 29' would make it from the upper rear of the camper to the control module, anyone know if they make extensions?

Attachments

• 2022-ram-hd-trailer-360-camera-kit.jpeg
    2022-ram-hd-trailer-360-camera-kit.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 223

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Found this for the XN1 camera. Camera cables are 9 meter which is about 29'. My 5ver is 42' long, control module you would have to mount probably in the basement area so I don't know that 29' would make it from the upper rear of the camper to the control module, anyone know if they make extensions?
Male to female fakra z coax cables-

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
That is the camera cable to camera module. The shorter camera cables may not be an issue for you since the 12 pin connector to camera module has some adj. length. You could then mount the module toward the center of the trailer.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Well all I can say is this is some amazing stuff on the new trucks but why do they always take it 90% there and then screw it all up, LOL

1) Why in the heck would they not make the rear camera of the XN1 system also be the camera for the Digital mirror display? You really have to mount two different cameras to the rear and then run seperate cable all the way to the front for both, thats just stupid. Seems like it should be just some programing to use that XN1 read camera for the mirror.

2) For the camera for the digital mirror no hook up in the bed for a fifth wheel!! You got to be kidding me. Although this would not even be an issue if they would just do #1, you wouldn't need it.

On the fence about ordering a new truck, if XN1 was also the read view mirror camera it would make my decision easier.

I agree. Great technology but only about 3/4 thought out. Should have camera access in both the bed and bumper locations. Ridiculous that you have to run a cable over the tailgate for anything.

Webracin

Reaction score

I agree! One would think there are a couple of pins left in the 12 pin connector to route the coax signal to the dihital rear view and eliminate the need for the additional coax plug.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
That is the camera cable to camera module. The shorter camera cables may not be an issue for you since the 12 pin connector to camera module has some adj. length. You could then mount the module toward the center of the trailer.
Yea the dead center of a 5ver camper is no where to mount a control module. You could hide it up in the floor system but if you ever need to access it major PITA to get at. All of your connections are always up front in the storage compartments where you can get to them if you need to.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Yea the dead center of a 5ver camper is no where to mount a control module. You could hide it up in the floor system but if you ever need to access it major PITA to get at. All of your connections are always up front in the storage compartments where you can get to them if you need to.
I did not say they would make it easy for a fifth wheel...lol. A flatbed would be relatively easy. I assume it would be the furthest rear point mounted storage roof for CVPM...

I agree. Great technology but only about 3/4 thought out. Should have camera access in both the bed and bumper locations. Ridiculous that you have to run a cable over the tailgate for anything.

100% certain that would be illegal in most states. I plan to move/ duplicate the bumper plug to the bed like the xfq wiring.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
If that is the size of the connector I may just skip the surround view and just do the digital mirror back camera. Them are some pretty big holes to drill in the side of my Montana ! But wait still have the problem with no plug in the bed for the digital mirror camera, :mad:
It’s only RG174 coax cable, so once you take the connector end off (pry out blue lock in pic below), you’re at a 1/8” diameter hole.
D8170AD6-6AE6-4B74-9C80-AD68656F1397.jpeg

Ickabod

Reaction score
It’s only RG174 coax cable, so once you take the connector end off (pry out blue lock in pic below), you’re at a 1/8” diameter hole.
View attachment 23111
@Jimmy07 Do they have a splitter for this so I can keep the plug in the bumper for when I tow my boat and also have a plug in the bed for when I tow my 5er? Also, has anyone done the same thing for the 12/7 pins? I don't want to move the 12/7 pin, but split it somewhere under the bed and have 2 connectors - one in bumper, one in bed.

Whiskyman

Reaction score
YES, XN1 IS compatible with AVF. This is what I have been explaining. These are two completely different features. XN1 is a surround view system that will display in the radio screen. It will give you a 360 birds eye view of the trailer on the radio screen when traveling under 8mph, just like the truck surround view system. AVF will have a SEPARATE camera than the 4 cameras that come with the XN1 system that you can mount…wherever you want. THAT camera can display in the rear view mirror at all times, if you want it to.
I'd like to move the mirror camera to back of my trailer

Users who are viewing this thread