Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

Combra6589

Reaction score
Hold on, before misinformation here gets so out of control that people will be scared to even see if they have a defective relay- There is no law requiring the owner of a recalled vehicle to have the recall completed, and nobody, including the dealer, can confiscate a vehicle that you (or the bank, or whoever holds your title) own for not being able to complete the recall. Federally speaking, it is illegal for a dealer to SELL a brand new vehicle that has a recall, and it is not illegal to sell a used vehicle with an open recall. But no, the dealer can not hold your vehicle if you bring it in and they can’t perform the repair until parts are in.
So you mean to tell me my dealer is speaking out of their…. Service manager told me even if I brought it back for inspection he could hold it.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Hold on, before misinformation here gets so out of control that people will be scared to even see if they have a defective relay- There is no law requiring the owner of a recalled vehicle to have the recall completed, and nobody, including the dealer, can confiscate a vehicle that you (or the bank, or whoever holds your title) own for not being able to complete the recall. Federally speaking, it is illegal for a dealer to SELL a brand new vehicle that has a recall, and it is not illegal to sell a used vehicle with an open recall. But no, the dealer can not hold your vehicle if you bring it in and they can’t perform the repair until parts are in.
Yeah I thought that was odd the dealership could hold a vehicle. The only time I've heard of a repair shop holding a vehicle is when you owe them money. But I think it also very state by state and I don't know if it falls under uniform commercial code or not. Because I'm not an expert but there are lawyers out there who are.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So you mean to tell me my dealer is speaking out of their…. Service manager told me even if I brought it back for inspection he could hold it.
You have a different situation because they realized they can’t sell you your new vehicle because of the recall.

Combra6589

Reaction score
You have a different situation because they realized they can’t sell you your new vehicle because of the recall.
So lucky to have not only a damaged new truck but a stop sale new truck

Will_T

Reaction score
nobody, including the dealer, can confiscate a vehicle that you (or the bank, or whoever holds your title) own for not being able to complete the recall. Federally speaking, it is illegal for a dealer to SELL a brand new vehicle that has a recall, and it is not illegal to sell a used vehicle with an open recall. But no, the dealer can not hold your vehicle if you bring it in and they can’t perform the repair until parts are in.
Thank you! That is exactly what I was wondering in my post. It seemed like if what was being implied was correct, then everyone would be afraid to go to the dealer and that seemed a bit over the top. Thanks again for all the great information you provide here.

Combra6589

Reaction score
Dang. Your loyalty runs strong! Stellantis should be happy to have you!
I just bought a 20 limited in April . Liked it so much I ordered a 22. But after tomorrow is when I finally make up my mind on cancelling it if the dealer tells me may for the relay like stellantis said

rfullen280

Reaction score
I am not that smart but with anybody out there know how to put a little survey post up that has some thing like what year mate what year and model is your truck and which relay do you have installed and did it pass or fail? Or is that a thing. Might be interesting data for anybody

wolfpack

Reaction score
Wow. This just sucks.

I’ve got my head around this now. That solid-state relay is woefully undersized for the job. Penny-pinching writ-large. Classic auto industry BS.

This is going to the courts. That’s my bet.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Wow. This just sucks.

I’ve got my head around this now. That solid-state relay is woefully undersized for the job. Penny-pinching writ-large. Classic auto industry BS.

This is going to the courts. That’s my bet.
Wouldn't surprise me but they do have an easy way out and that is just produce a better relay. So revert back to the 2020 in earlier version. So that would be a cable a bracket and a relay. Still under a 30 minute repair job.

DougB

Reaction score
No parts are available at all. My case manager told me there’s no eta whatsoever and my 22 can sit for months
Every dealer lot truck they get in, they need to remove the relay and test. Once they find a good one, install it on your truck and get you on your way. Let their lot truck sit waiting on parts for their ineptitude.

Nd79

Reaction score
I think we have members here that have scheduled appointments with their dealers either this week or next week. Would be nice if they can update this thread back of what their relay part number is AA or AB and if it passed or failed.
Mine is going in a week from now. AA relay and I will post on whether or not it fails.

Either way I'm leaning towards just retrofitting an older style reliable relay. I'll update and share if that's the route I go but I won't buy any parts until after my dealer appointment to see where that goes.

They can't hold my vehicle, as I own it. I'm sorry to hear about the ones that are being held before final sale. Their hands are tied legally, but it really sucks for the ones waiting for their trucks.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I just realized that a number of us are giving FCA a way out of making repairs to our trucks.

I disconnected my grid heater relay from the battery about a week ago, but I'm still driving the truck and the hour meter is still running. The very first "test" the dealer is to perform is reading the runtime hours. If runtime is greater than 600 hours, the recall can be marked as completed, with no further action, no matter what relay is installed. I assume that they feel if the relay makes it through 600 hours of on and off cycling without failing, all is good. By disconnecting the relay, and driving until next February, runtime increases, but not service time on the relay. I disconnected mine at around 256 hours. By next February, I will probably still be slightly below 600 hours runtime. I bet some of you on this forum, and others out on the road every day, will go way over that 600 hour mark.

The relay will "test" as passed, and not be replaced, even though it's actual time in service was no where near the 600 hours.

I'm using February because that is the time frame I see most often for parts availability. Who knows when parts will actually arrive.

This scenario applies to the 2022 models specifically, although the runtime test is done on all model years.

You all get where I'm going with this. I imagine that I will leave my relay disconnected until the latest relays are available for sale to the general public, and replace it myself, on my dime.

rfullen280

Reaction score
I just realized that a number of us are giving FCA a way out of making repairs to our trucks.

I disconnected my grid heater relay from the battery about a week ago, but I'm still driving the truck and the hour meter is still running. The very first "test" the dealer is to perform is reading the runtime hours. If runtime is greater than 600 hours, the recall can be marked as completed, with no further action, no matter what relay is installed. I assume that they feel if the relay makes it through 600 hours of on and off cycling without failing, all is good. By disconnecting the relay, and driving until next February, runtime increases, but not service time on the relay. I disconnected mine at around 256 hours. By next February, I will probably still be slightly below 600 hours runtime. I bet some of you on this forum, and others out on the road every day, will go way over that 600 hour mark.

The relay will "test" as passed, and not be replaced, even though it's actual time in service was no where near the 600 hours.

I'm using February because that is the time frame I see most often for parts availability. Who knows when parts will actually arrive.

This scenario applies to the 2022 models specifically, although the runtime test is done on all model years.

You all get where I'm going with this. I imagine that I will leave my relay disconnected until the latest relays are available for sale to the general public, and replace it myself, on my dime.
Hmm. I think that came up earlier. However, take a picture with your phone of the hour meter and relay. Date is part of the picture metadata.

SL1

Reaction score
Mine had a build date of 3/28/21 and it was ok per the dealer test. They sealed with rev and reinstalled.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
Mine had a build date of 3/28/21 and it was ok per the dealer test. They sealed with rev and reinstalled.
My build date was April 2021. Did you just have yours inspected? My dealer says nothing can be done until next February, and won't even schedule an appointment. Amazing how many different responses people are getting. My local dealer is Lithia, which is a national dealer and big enough to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange. You would think a dealer that size would have a direct line to the manufacture, or at least more contact than the mom and pop dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread