Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

SL1

Reaction score
I dropped it off early at the dealer on 10/25 for the recall and to check alignment. Picked it up the same afternoon.

SL1

Reaction score
Heres the ticket.

Attachments

• 968891B0-4741-4E4C-A6C3-A1681F2F0CA9_1_102_o.jpeg
    968891B0-4741-4E4C-A6C3-A1681F2F0CA9_1_102_o.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 75

SL1

Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll check out the thuren specs and take to my usual front end shop. I appreciate the advise!!

wolfpack

Reaction score
View attachment 24566

I thought the RTV sealant is only for vehicles built before 01/08/2021 and if Y08 has not been performed. Did the tech just put an RTV sealant on a good relay?
Yeah, that recall is clear as mud. There’s very little chance service departments will get it right. This is going to be a cluster you-know-what until February when replacement parts become available, several hundred more Rams have gone up in smoke over the winter, and the instructions get simplified down to “remove the bad relay and replace with the good one”.

Combra6589

Reaction score
Every dealer lot truck they get in, they need to remove the relay and test. Once they find a good one, install it on your truck and get you on your way. Let their lot truck sit waiting on parts for their ineptitude.
I ended up getting my money back from truck. It’s a joke . Northeast service rep refused to try other relays so I gave up. I reordered yet another truck from another dealer

rfullen280

Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll check out the thuren specs and take to my usual front end shop. I appreciate the advise!!
As Brutal said, the outside of your tires are worn/cupping because there's too much toe in the factory spec. That much toe makes the truck "drive better"... but sacrifices your tires to do it. I'm Thuren'd, on a 2021, and it tracks just fine...

Quick

Reaction score
I ended up getting my money back from truck. It’s a joke . Northeast service rep refused to try other relays so I gave up. I reordered yet another truck from another dealer

Another Ram or another brand?

Quick

Reaction score
I just checked my relay on my 5/21 build - part 169AB

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Currently at the dealer to get it checked. Apparently I’m the first one they’ve seen. Should be interesting. I’ll update.

SL1

Reaction score
Genos has the ab relay for the grid heater in stock. I think some dealers are milking this for all it’s worth.

ColoMike

Reaction score
Genos has the ab relay for the grid heater in stock. I think some dealers are milking this for all it’s worth.
What do you mean when you say "milking this for all it’s worth", and why do you say this? What is their motivation?

SL1

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think anyone would still be selling a recalled relay, but stranger things could happen I guess.
Cheers.

wolfpack

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think anyone would still be selling a recalled relay, but stranger things could happen I guess.
Cheers.
I think they just rev the part number, claim it’s “fixed”, and then do a “mea culpa” later and add it to the recall. It’s how manufacturers kick the can down the road to keep lines going and sales happening.

Who knows if AB is a good relay or if there’s an AC coming out in February.

I think someone posted upthread about having an AB relay fail the temperature test. Would be good to confirm that.

DougB

Reaction score
I think they just rev the part number, claim it’s “fixed”, and then do a “mea culpa” later and add it to the recall. It’s how manufacturers kick the can down the road to keep lines going and sales happening.

Who knows if AB is a good relay or if there’s an AC coming out in February.

I think someone posted upthread about having an AB relay fail the temperature test. Would be good to confirm that.
Good points. Seems some ABs are good and others not, hence the testing.

My guess would be an AC is coming out to stop the test requirements all together.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Well, they did the temp tests. It passed. They put RTV on the back, and sent me on my way. For the record, I had the relay ending in AA, with tape on the back. I’ll probably get back in there later today just to double check quality of work, etc.

Attachments

• 0A2BF41F-39EC-4F33-BA61-8CCBF7CFD296.jpeg
    0A2BF41F-39EC-4F33-BA61-8CCBF7CFD296.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread