Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

cycling4life

Reaction score
Connected back the relay to the battery terminal and took mine in for the recall. Tech said tested 9 times with temp of 40 degrees. Obviously it passed. My relay is AB has 41 hours on the DIC. What's weird is the work order was billed with the RTV sealant. Having seen that, I double checked with the tech and confirmed that NO RTV sealant was applied. Maybe that's how the dealer bills FCA?

Will_T

Reaction score
Well, they did the temp tests. It passed. They put RTV on the back, and sent me on my way. For the record, I had the relay ending in AA, with tape on the back. I’ll probably get back in there later today just to double check quality of work, etc.

If I understand correctly your AA relay tested OK so they filled in the back with the RTV Sealant and sent you on your way?

That would seem to indicate that all of the relays are the electrically same, AA, or AB or whatever build date.
Likely the only difference is that the AA relay originally came with nothing on the back, then some of those AA relays were "fixed" by applying tape to the back.
The AB relays might have come from the start with the RTV Sealant on the back.
All relays, AA, AB, Tape, No Tape, insulated with RTV, or no RTV, are to be temperature tested.
All relays that pass the temp test are then insulated with RTV if not already and current recall is done.

Of course, I know none of that for sure so please, corrections are welcome. Only trying to get it clear in my mind what exactly is being done and why. :confused:

Now the only question I guess is: Does RAM see this as the permanent fix? Or, is all this a stopgap to lessen fire danger until a whole new relay is designed and produced at which time another recall will be for a new replacement relay?

Will_T

Reaction score
Connected back the relay to the battery terminal and took mine in for the recall. Tech said tested 9 times with temp of 40 degrees. Obviously it passed. My relay is AB has 41 hours on the DIC. What's weird is the work order was billed with the RTV sealant. Having seen that, I double checked with the tech and confirmed that NO RTV sealant was applied. Maybe that's how the dealer bills FCA?

I am guessing that your relay, after passing the test, was determined to already have the RTV on the back? Can you confirm that it did? If it does not and you were sent on your way with an uninsulated relay, then I am just about ready to give up on understanding this recall.

Last edited:

toyboy1980

Reaction score
If I understand correctly your AA relay tested OK so they filled in the back with the RTV Sealant and sent you on your way?

That would seem to indicate that all of the relays are the electrically same, AA, or AB or whatever build date.
Likely the only difference is that the AA relay originally came with nothing on the back, then some of those AA relays were "fixed" by applying tape to the back.
The AB relays might have come from the start with the RTV Sealant on the back.
All relays, AA, AB, Tape, No Tape, insulated with RTV, or no RTV, are to be temperature tested.
All relays that pass the temp test are then insulated with RTV if not already and current recall is done.

Of course, I know none of that for sure so please, corrections are welcome. Only trying to get it clear in my mind what exactly is being done and why. :confused:

Now the only question I guess is: Does RAM see this as the permanent fix? Or, is all this a stopgap to lessen fire danger until a whole new relay is designed and produced at which time another recall will be for a new replacement relay?
That SEEMS like what is happening to me too. The recall is super horribly written. The way it reads to me, it doesn’t necessarily reference all possible scenarios. From everyone that’s posted, it seems like if you don’t have RTV, you get it. Now wether that is correct, or just the techs being as confused as the rest of us?…that still remains a possible question.

Nd79

Reaction score
Well, they did the temp tests. It passed. They put RTV on the back, and sent me on my way. For the record, I had the relay ending in AA, with tape on the back. I’ll probably get back in there later today just to double check quality of work, etc.
Good info! I'm assuming mine will go the same since I have an AA relay also. At least I hope the relay tests ok, and within temps.

ColoMike

Reaction score
Well we will see what @cycling4life says in response to my question above. He definitively said he did not get the RTV. But it is unclear to me if that is because he already had it or not.
To me the recall is very clear that you only get RTV if it's a 2021 built before 1/8/21 and the Y08 recall was not previously completed . If Y08 was previously completed, it should already have RTV on the back, since that was the Y08 recall solution.
If it's a 2022 or a 2021 built after 1/8/21, it does NOT get RTV; it only gets the temperature test. They all get the temperature test.

Glad I could clear this up for some folks. :)

I assume from this that 2022's and 2021's built after 1/8/21 all had the tape applied at the factory, but I can't be sure of that. If it has the tape, it does not get RTV.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
To me the recall is very clear that you only get RTV if it's a 2021 built before 1/8/21 and the Y08 recall was not previously completed . If Y08 was previously completed, it should already have RTV on the back, since that was the Y08 recall solution.
If it's a 2022 or a 2021 built after 1/8/21, it does NOT get RTV; it only gets the temperature test. They all get the temperature test.

Glad I could clear this up for some folks. :)

I assume from this that 2022's and 2021's built after 1/8/21 all had the tape applied at the factory, but I can't be sure of that. If it has the tape, it does not get RTV.
Mine is a 2021, built after 1/8/21, and had the tape on the relay. It got RTV today at the dealership.

Will_T

Reaction score
Mine is a 2021, built after 1/8/21, and had the tape on the relay. It got RTV today at the dealership.

So there you go and thanks for letting us know for sure.

It may be very "clear" to some, but not to me. I have the AA, built well after 1/8/21 also. I have not removed my relay to see if I have the tape, the RTV, or nothing. But if I have nothing or the tape, I would want at the very least to get the RTV when I take it in.

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Anybody got a picture of where they are putting tape or rtv? And what tests are they doing?

Edit: Found it.
The test is they cycle the heater 9 times and if the relay doesn't get hotter than 80C (that's 176 degrees)

Last edited:

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Anybody got a picture of where they are putting tape or rtv? And what tests are they doing?

Edit: Found it.
The test is they cycle the heater 9 times and if the relay doesn't get hotter than 80C (that's 176 degrees)
Here’s what mine looked like from the factory, with the tape. It had initials on it…I suspect “MC” is who added the tape. If I have the time tomorrow, I’ll pull it out again to inspect the RTV job they did. I’ll grab a picture when I do.

Attachments

• 5C8C6483-5C33-46C3-82A3-19E47953399A.jpeg
    5C8C6483-5C33-46C3-82A3-19E47953399A.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 41

ColoMike

Reaction score
Putting RTV on a truck built after 1/8/21 is not what the recall instructions say. Additionally, putting RTV over the tape does not even make sense to me.

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Here’s what mine looked like from the factory, with the tape. It had initials on it…I suspect “MC” is who added the tape. If I have the time tomorrow, I’ll pull it out again to inspect the RTV job they did. I’ll grab a picture when I do.
Yeah, Im really curious. I work on relays for a living. I have some thoughts already, but need some more info, don't have a truck yet either.

cycling4life

Reaction score
**EDITED** Here are relay images grabbed from this thread. Upper left image is the oldest relay that is subjected for the Y08 recall. Image with RTV is how Y08 is addressed by applying the RTV silicone. AA was used next, and AB is in the latest production. Evidently. all of them are scoped in the Y76 recall, and if anyone of them passed the temperature test, the tech is then suppose to check the build date of the vehicle to check if Y08 has been performed on trucks built earlier than 01/08/21. Otherwise, builds after 01/08/21 that passed the temp test, return the vehicle to the customer

D602402C-F411-4D0D-9D51-40E159D7A08B.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Here are relay images grabbed from this thread. The one with RTV is the oldest relay subjected for the Y08 recall. AA was used next, and AB is in the latest production. Evidently. all of them are scoped in the Y76 recall, and if anyone of them passed the temperature test, the tech is then suppose to check the build date of the vehicle to check if Y08 has been performed on trucks built earlier than 01/08/21. Otherwise, builds after 01/08/21 that passed the temp test, return the vehicle to the customer

View attachment 24826
Your pic that says RTV is a relay that does not have RTV. That is a relay that GETS RTV applied during the recall.

ColoMike

Reaction score
Here are relay images grabbed from this thread. The one with RTV is the oldest relay subjected for the Y08 recall. AA was used next, and AB is in the latest production. Evidently. all of them are scoped in the Y76 recall, and if anyone of them passed the temperature test, the tech is then suppose to check the build date of the vehicle to check if Y08 has been performed on trucks built earlier than 01/08/21. Otherwise, builds after 01/08/21 that passed the temp test, return the vehicle to the customer

View attachment 24826
Thanks. I didn't realize the one totally potted with white material on the back is the AB relay. Are there some AB relays with only the tape?

gpattikjr

Reaction score

View attachment 24826
Hah, that polymide tape aint doing **** on AA to stop conductivity between the bus bars.. All it's doing is keeping dirt and salt and other contaminants out to inhibit tracking. Not to mention rtv or silicone on epoxy is a nogo. Couple heat cycles and it'll be peeling off due to no mechanical bond, a weak chemical bond and different heat expansion rates. Why dont they just scuff it and add more dielectric epoxy?

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
builds after 01/08/21 that passed the temp test, return the vehicle to the customer

So if we have an after 1/08/21 truck with the AA relay with the tape and it passes the temp test then nothing more is done. This, even though to the eye at least, both the RTV and the AB solution looks like they are better. That makes me think that maybe the current recall actually has nothing to do with whatever is or is not on the back of the relay. They may be looking only for some sort of electrical problem in the relay itself. And they must feel if a relay tests OK, it is safe and will never develop a problem. Or maybe the problem is with the exposed back of the relay but they feel that if an AA with the tape tests OK, that tape is a good fix and there is no need to remove the tape and apply RTV. Just a guessing game for us trying to figure it out I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread