Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which tuner? EZ-Lynk vs EFI Live vs MM3.

josephc1

Reaction score
Have been on the fence for EZ Lynk / EFI Live compliant tunes. Decided on EFI Live, five tunes with trans tuning. Going to place my order tomorrow. More than likely I'll set it on the heavy tow tune and lock the tuner away. Lots of good information on this forum.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I'm still on the fence but leaning towards EFI Live. It's all on hold anyways until I get a HPFP recall done and test run it to make sure all is good, so probably the tuner will be next year

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm still on the fence but leaning towards EFI Live. It's all on hold anyways until I get a HPFP recall done and test run it to make sure all is good, so probably the tuner will be next year
If you dont have any powersports that you want to tune the EFI live is great. I went with the EZ-Lynk only because i have my ranger to tune aswell and it only works with ez-lynk i have downloaded all of my tunes for safe keeping. The phone gauges are a nice touch but i can do the same with the OBDLink mx+

MEGA HO

Reaction score
If you dont have any powersports that you want to tune the EFI live is great. I went with the EZ-Lynk only because i have my ranger to tune aswell and it only works with ez-lynk i have downloaded all of my tunes for safe keeping. The phone gauges are a nice touch but i can do the same with the OBDLink mx+
It's something I'd have to research before I make a final decision. I have a quad but I already have a tuner for it and I don't think I'll be buying any new toy anytime soon, I've had a WR450 with carb before and maybe will get back into dirtbiking but I didn't feel the need tuning it as it had more power than I could use at the time. Definitely would have to research what other things the EZ-Lynk can tune.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It's something I'd have to research before I make a final decision. I have a quad but I already have a tuner for it and I don't think I'll be buying any new toy anytime soon, I've had a WR450 with carb before and maybe will get back into dirtbiking but I didn't feel the need tuning it as it had more power than I could use at the time. Definitely would have to research what other things the EZ-Lynk can tune.
Nothing wrong with getting what suits you, i was fully set to buy the EFI live before the range showed up and i got an itch for more power its a 1000 but still id rather have more power than not enough lol

josephc1

Reaction score
I finely tried loading tunes. After playing around with it I have a tune loaded, I just don't know what tune. I had an option of tune 1 thru 5, I chose #2 but don't know how they are loaded. Took the truck out, yes it started, no cel's. Drove around town stop and go for 16 miles. I went very easy on it, seems like more power and trans is shifting very different, no flare but I have read it will take a couple hundred miles for it to settle down. With my limited drive I can say all for the better. I want to run with heavy tow, out of the five not sure witch one it is. I'll call CPS tomorrow and try to get more info on the spade V3. S glad I didn't brick the ECU.

josephc1

Reaction score
Finely got answers from CPS about switch on the fly numbers. #1 optimized stock, #5 sport tune. Also has 2 transmission tunes Jack mild shift and Jack EXT shift (extra firm). I have it on #2 heavy tow with mild shift, it is awesome. Removed the spade and put it away. I'll be pulling the RV in a few weeks so it will stay on heavy tow / mild trans. Put about 63 miles on it, now looking for more reasons to drive it. :) CPS is a great company to work with, I highly recommend them.

josephc1

Reaction score
138 miles on the tune, trans seems to be settling down well. The more I drive it the more I'm so happy I made the change and ordered the tune. The one thing I have noticed is the trans is running about 5º warmer than it had. I don't believe it's in any danger @ 172º but I am use to seeing 165 - 168º in the conditions I've been driving. In a couple of weeks I'll see what temps are pulling the RV. Only difference in conditions prior to the tune and now is I have not driven with EB and TH on at all since the tune. Prior to tune I ran with both 100% of the time. This is not only my tow vehicle but daily driver also. Next time out I'll activate both TH and EB just to see if there is any difference.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I noticed on the CP site it mentions selecting a sales rep. I have researched but didn't actually call them. Does selecting one rep lock you into one person for support (such email address for tunes) or is it just for commissions?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
138 miles on the tune, trans seems to be settling down well. The more I drive it the more I'm so happy I made the change and ordered the tune. The one thing I have noticed is the trans is running about 5º warmer than it had. I don't believe it's in any danger @ 172º but I am use to seeing 165 - 168º in the conditions I've been driving. In a couple of weeks I'll see what temps are pulling the RV. Only difference in conditions prior to the tune and now is I have not driven with EB and TH on at all since the tune. Prior to tune I ran with both 100% of the time. This is not only my tow vehicle but daily driver also. Next time out I'll activate both TH and EB just to see if there is any difference.
You should not run TH unloaded…. If you want higher shifts ask for a medium shift trans tune option

josephc1

Reaction score
Tell me why I should not run TH unloaded. I have been running th/eb since new till I installed the tune. Was planing to try th / eb next time out, let me know, I don't want to crater the trans with only 85XXX miles on it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Tell me why I should not run TH unloaded. I have been running th/eb since new till I installed the tune. Was planing to try th / eb next time out, let me know, I don't want to crater the trans with only 85XXX miles on it.
Wont hurt anything but your also not helping anything except hurting your fuel millage

John Jensen

Reaction score
You should not run TH unloaded…. If you want higher shifts ask for a medium shift trans tune option
Why do you say that? TH unloaded is common and never heard that it could be harmful. ????

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Why do you say that? TH unloaded is common and never heard that it could be harmful. ????
Like i said after its not that its harmful its just silly to have to do that to a tuned truck when you can get the proper trans tuning to work better but if you have the HO then its irrelevant as you cant tune the trans

puller

Reaction score
Anyone knows if the tuner can be unplugged and a truck would operate with new tuning, or does the device have to stay in the vehicle at all times?
I have an autocal. The only time it's plug in is when your tuning the truck.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Like i said after its not that its harmful its just silly to have to do that to a tuned truck when you can get the proper trans tuning to work better but if you have the HO then its irrelevant as you cant tune the trans
Gotcha, I have an HO. Didn't know the 68 tuning had options.

LenTex

Reaction score
Good info on this thread, folks. Thank you for all your advice. I'm still up in the air between EFI Live and EZ Lynk. The stored customer data with EZ Lynk is still a concern for me. I don't trust any government agency and I'm concerned that they can "find me" to prosecute me if they shut them down.

Does anyone have any info that can dissuade that concern?

Users who are viewing this thread