Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which tuner? EZ-Lynk vs EFI Live vs MM3.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Good info on this thread, folks. Thank you for all your advice. I'm still up in the air between EFI Live and EZ Lynk. The stored customer data with EZ Lynk is still a concern for me. I don't trust any government agency and I'm concerned that they can "find me" to prosecute me if they shut them down.

Does anyone have any info that can dissuade that concern?

If they want to find you they are going to find you one way or another. They are more likely to track you down from sales records confiscated from a dealer then cyber sluthing trying to find your device on the web.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good info on this thread, folks. Thank you for all your advice. I'm still up in the air between EFI Live and EZ Lynk. The stored customer data with EZ Lynk is still a concern for me. I don't trust any government agency and I'm concerned that they can "find me" to prosecute me if they shut them down.

Does anyone have any info that can dissuade that concern?
EZ-Lynk is out of the cayman islands so no EPA there to force them to release any info. I dont see EZ-Lynk being an issue. I have it and its nice having the ability to use unlimited support pkgs

Riddick

Reaction score
Don't forget about HP tuners, they are taking over the tuning market in general. No need for a physical switch for SOTF, you are able to use your steering wheel controls. HP hardware is very easy to learn and they have great customer support / service. Check them out, you will see more and more tuners offering them in the future.

Joedel25

Reaction score
This may be the correct process however went from EFI Live to EZ-Lynk and a different tuner. Never went back to stock just flashed the new. No issues at all.

I have seen this done with a few other trucks as well that had rando tunes when bought used. Got the good stuff, loaded, and go.
What about with a 21?
I’m looking into this and trying to learn as much about this new to me truck as possible. I believe (thanks to al from valley) previous owner was efi , and I have a cts3 with sotf (no clue who’s tunes or what is each tune).

Would switching to ez still allow me to use the PIDs with the cts3?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What about with a 21?
I’m looking into this and trying to learn as much about this new to me truck as possible. I believe (thanks to al from valley) previous owner was efi , and I have a cts3 with sotf (no clue who’s tunes or what is each tune).

Would switching to ez still allow me to use the PIDs with the cts3?
They are completely different things the CTS3 cant have SOTF as is not a tuning device just a PID viewer so yes the Ez-Lynk and CTS3 work fine together

Joedel25

Reaction score
They are completely different things the CTS3 cant have SOTF as is not a tuning device just a PID viewer so yes the Ez-Lynk and CTS3 work fine together
I wonder why none of the PIDs seem to work as it’s currently setup . Would u recommend the edge pyro or like ddc pyro relocation

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I wonder why none of the PIDs seem to work as it’s currently setup . Would u recommend the edge pyro or like ddc pyro relocation
Almost all tuners disable the EGT readings for delete tunes as to keep the emissions tricked adding an egt probe will allow you to read the EGTs in the monitor

John Jensen

Reaction score
I wonder why none of the PIDs seem to work as it’s currently setup .
Are you referring to PIDs on your CTS3? Some CTS3 PIDs will not work, it depends on your truck year, engine, etc.
You say none work, if so you either are not connected properly or haven't set up your CTS3 correctly.

Joedel25

Reaction score
Are you referring to PIDs on your CTS3? Some CTS3 PIDs will not work, it depends on your truck year, engine, etc.
You say none work, if so you either are not connected properly or haven't set up your CTS3 correctly.
It’s a new to me 21’ … how do you set them up?

LenTex

Reaction score
Don't forget about HP tuners, they are taking over the tuning market in general. No need for a physical switch for SOTF, you are able to use your steering wheel controls. HP hardware is very easy to learn and they have great customer support / service. Check them out, you will see more and more tuners offering them in the future.
I'm assuming you have some experience based on your comment. Anything else you'd like to share about them?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I'm assuming you have some experience based on your comment. Anything else you'd like to share about them?
I'd like to know too. I heard bits of information that HP tuners are for the 21+ M.Y. where you have to get basically a new ECU or get your ECU bench flashed to get it to work. Will HP tuner work on 19-20 M.TY.?? Would be noce to be able to change settings from your steering wheel.

Riddick

Reaction score
I have a descent amount of experience with them. I have always been into modifying cars and drag racing various Ford and GM cars. HP tuners hands down has a monopoly on these platforms in terms of support. HP tuners has been the go to For GM vehicles for years and in recent years they have basically taken over the Ford market as as well.

When it comes to these hand held devices there are 2 things you need to consider. What companies use them and what kind of customer support they offer. They are a U.S based company and are easy to get ahold of in case of issues. When you go to the diesel performance sites you will see more of them offering HP tuners.

I cannot comment on what model years they support on the Cummins platforms. You should reach out to your tuner of choice and discuss. I have everything ready to go on my 22' but I can't get out to work on truck. I broke my collarbone a few weeks back and am very limited on what I can do. I'm staying emissions on while I'm under warranty but the second I start having any issues that will change. I'll post up a review covering the install process once I'm able to.

I bought my kit from Calibrated Power, they included a brand new ECU in which they did bench flash first. So the poster above could be onto something. I need to do a ECU read and info log on my current ecu. I will then swap ecus and do the same. After this you email both logs and within 1-2 days you will receive your new tune file. If you have to send in your ECU for a bench flash that's not ideal for 19-21 owners. For me I have to swap ECU regardless.

Happy to discuss further if anyone has questions. I am by no means a turner, simply a hobbyist who likes to tinker with anything and everything

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
HP tuners is fine for most that want to keep emissions intact but for deletes they are not supported nearly as much

Riddick

Reaction score
HP tuners is fine for most that want to keep emissions intact but for deletes they are not supported nearly as much
What do you mean not supported nearly as much? HP tuners allows full access to the PCM. You can do emissions on or off with them. Both Optimal and Performance Calibrations use both EZ Lynk and HP Tuners.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What do you mean not supported nearly as much? HP tuners allows full access to the PCM. You can do emissions on or off with them. Both Optimal and Performance Calibrations use both EZ Lynk and HP Tuners.
I mean exactly what i said they are not supported by as many tuners as the other devices so you are limited by some of the less desirable tuning company's for emissions off tuning both you listed are not great for tunes. PC is not the worst but optimal is straight up garbage

HP tuner is ok nothing wrong with it if you have steering wheel controls

Last edited:

Riddick

Reaction score
I mean exactly what i said they are not supported by as many tuners as the other devices so you are limited by some of the less desirable tuning company's for emissions off tuning both you listed are not great for tunes. PC is not the worst but optimal is straight up garbage

HP tuner is ok nothing wrong with it if you have steering wheel controls

Rog, I misread your post. I thought you were trying to say you couldn't do emissions off with HPT.

I was referencing some of the popular tuners for these companies. If and when I need to remove parts I will be going with CCS who is also starting to use HPT more.

F3arl3sslimited

Reaction score
Rog, I misread your post. I thought you were trying to say you couldn't do emissions off with HPT.

I was referencing some of the popular tuners for these companies. If and when I need to remove parts I will be going with CCS who is also starting to use HPT more.
How are you liking the HPT ? I have a '22 and am looking to get some kind of tune.

Riddick

Reaction score
How are you liking the HPT ? I have a '22 and am looking to get some kind of tune.
Overall I am happy, I really like the SOTF through the cruise control buttons. My only complaint was the first time I tried programming the ECU it locked the ECU up. Calibrated Power overnighted me a new ECU and truck has been perfect sense. I also have a 22 so if you have more questions, hit me up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1st thing 1st, I only want to discuss the pros and cons of the tuning devices themselves, not any particular tuner that actually creates PCM flash files.

MM3 and EFI Live are, for the lack of a better word, offline tuners. You load your files in them and then flash the truck and you're done. If you want to try different files, you'll need to load them into the devices and then re-flash. It is my understanding that you could keep a large number of different flash files and from various tuners if you like, and then try whatever you like anytime you like.

EZ-Lynk is a "cloud" device and it will not store any flash files in its memory other than that one file you downloaded and flashed your truck with. Did I get this right? So while there's unlimited support package that guarantees access to all the available tunes, no one can guarantee that the company will stay out of environmental agencies radar forever, and so once they're gone, you're stuck with whatever you've got in your truck at the moment.
And then there's security concern. Being a cloud service by default means there's a customer database and if the company is shut down and EPA gets its hands on this database and decided to go after everyone on the list, you're done. I may be overthinking this but tell me this couldn't happen?

So while I sort of like EZ-Lynk I'm leaning more towards the other 2. Chosing between the EFI Live and MM3, is one of them really that much better than the other? Or is one of them lacking critical / important features the other one has? I'm not interested in a flashy big screen with gauges, etc, staring into my face the whole time I drive my truck so even with MM3, I'd probably tuck it in somewhere out of the way out of sight. With 5 tune files, MM3 does not offer SOTF for 19+ trucks while the other one does (1 point here), MM3 offers optional pyro probe for EGT monitoring (1 point here), other than that I can't justify 50% higher price of MM3 tuner, unless I'm missing something or unaware of some serious drawbacks of EFI Live tuners?

My Diesel tuning is limited to theoretical knowledge so any pointers from more experienced folks will be appreciated.

[MOD: HDRAMS does not condone or endorse emissions modifications where illegal.]
For the last 7 of my own trucks, I have used the RaceME, Ultra or UltraCT. NEVER had any issues or problems. A touch expens, BUT, as the old sayin goes, YA GET WHAT YA PAY FOR.,! And the Cummins engine likes all the tunes. NO NEED for the pyro. kit.!! The tunes are ALL based on the FACTORY Cummins output’s ( 500-600hp. ) with NO side effects.

F3arl3sslimited

Reaction score
Overall I am happy, I really like the SOTF through the cruise control buttons. My only complaint was the first time I tried programming the ECU it locked the ECU up. Performance Calibration overnighted me a new ECU and truck has been perfect sense. I also have a 22 so if you have more questions, hit me up.
I wonder if I just did a ECM swap, if I could just used a tuner that is meant for a '21

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread