Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What oil for 2020 cummins? - Merged oil threads

bamorris2

Reaction score
If you can find 5w40 or 10w30 diesel oil that is not synthetic i would be rather surprised….

Most of the 10w30 diesel oils I’m finding are synthetic blends, not full. So far I’ve been using the Cummins-spec’d Valvoline blue bottle (8600 ES).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Reaction score
Think factory fill is 10-30 synthetic . I personally prefer 5-40 Mainly because I tow .

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Think factory fill is 10-30 synthetic . I personally prefer 5-40 Mainly because I tow .
Id assume its 5w40 otherwise they would have to fill the trucks going to different places with different oil depending on climates

ddown

Reaction score
What oil do they put in our 2022 trucks at factory?
5W40? 10W30?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
According to Cummins 5W-40 Valvoline is factory Fill and is Cummins approved

jebruns

Reaction score
T4 10w30 must be a merican thing we dont even have a listing for it on the canadian shell site…
Nope. Here's the Canada Shell page that lists it. Just scroll down a little:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nope. Here's the Canada Shell page that lists it. Just scroll down a little:
Thats .com canada site is .ca even though its selected Canada on the us site its not available here… the only one missing is 0w40 t6

Attachments

• 4B76DA00-D819-467B-8520-DB5C6EC1FC70.png
    4B76DA00-D819-467B-8520-DB5C6EC1FC70.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I did a search on large farm stores in Canada. First one that came up is PeavyMart. They have T4 10-30. Currently out of stock, like most Rotella products, but I'd say it's available in Canada, since this appears to be a Canada only chain:
Interesting still would never buy 10w30 in this climate but interesting i have never seen it or even a spot for it at Peavymart…

I would much rather run synthetic regardless with cold weather we get here

jebruns

Reaction score
Interesting still would never buy 10w30 in this climate but interesting i have never seen it or even a spot for it at Peavymart…

I would much rather run synthetic regardless with cold weather we get here
Oh, I agree, syn is best for cold climates since it has a better pour point in the cold. But I was surprised by your statement that 10-30 was not available up there.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Oh, I agree, syn is best for cold climates since it has a better pour point in the cold. But I was surprised by your statement that 10-30 was not available up there.
To be completely honest i have not searched for it as i have no intention of using it but when i first bought my 19 I did ask around to see if anyone sold it.

ddown

Reaction score

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's when Ram dealers got in bed with SOPUS, Cummins still uses Valvoline at Factory
I understand CUMMINS endorses that oil but they dont ship the engines full of oil to RAM who installs the engine and fills it with the oil of their choice which seems to be shell at the moment according to the manual, do you have anything from RAM saying different?

Regardless whether its Shell or Valvoline both are exceptional oils that are great for the engine.

We have 2 local 12v cummins trucks one at 1.7 million km and another at 1.9 million km never been rebuilt that have been running shell their entire life all my trucks i have always run shell as its so readily availible or at least was

Last edited:

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Cummins has a video series on Youtube walking a guy (''biggest fan of Cummins'') through the assembly and testing/break-in. They are filled with oil for the break-in but make no mention of dumping the oil before sending to Ram. I would assume they are not filling with oil, doing break-in and testing, dropping the oil and drying it up before sending it. It makes more sense they would just leave the oil in.. but I could be wrong as we all know that they have Mopar filters on them from factory and not Fleetguard.

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Cummins has a video series on Youtube walking a guy (''biggest fan of Cummins'') through the assembly and testing/break-in. They are filled with oil for the break-in but make no mention of dumping the oil before sending to Ram. I would assume they are not filling with oil, doing break-in and testing, dropping the oil and drying it up before sending it. It makes more sense they would just leave the oil in.. but I could be wrong as we all know that they have Mopar filters on them from factory and not Fleetguard.
Seems like a huge waste to dump it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Really depends on the shipping company's as i know almost every shipping company i have worked with does not allow shipping anything with oil in it (unless its an oil drum)

rb92673

Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems just finding oil? Walmart and the auto parts stores in my neighborhood have empty shelves for diesel oil. Finally found 3 gallons of Rotella T5 10w-30, it was the only 3 gallons at the store. Over time I have gathered 2 gallons of Rotella T6 5w-40. Mostly what I see is 15w-40. I did see some Motorcraft 10w-30 which has a Cummins rating, but I chose not to buy it.

whitexc

Reaction score
STP makes a full synthetic diesel oil in 5w40. I just bought 3 gallons at local AutoZone for $26 ea. I run it in my turbo Subaru and mowers. Have had my eye open for Brotella but none to be had so...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread