Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What oil for 2020 cummins? - Merged oil threads

Lift89

Reaction score
Use hot shot secret 5w40 or 10w30 and don’t change it for 30k miles. Get an analysis don’t at 15k and you’ll see you still have plenty of life left in it. The oil is a little more pricey but it pays for itself in longevity and time wasted changing oil. They say you can go 50,000+ miles with oil filter change and bypass filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Use hot shot secret 5w40 or 10w30 and don’t change it for 30k miles. Get an analysis don’t at 15k and you’ll see you still have plenty of life left in it. The oil is a little more pricey but it pays for itself in longevity and time wasted changing oil. They say you can go 50,000+ miles with oil filter change and bypass filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to run 50k miles on shell t6 in my 05 Oil analisys every 10k and new filter every 10k
Now that im not towing/driving that much i dont see a point in it

dslbrnr

Reaction score
My truck is garaged and the climate here stays above 0 degrees so I run 10W-30 CK-4 per the manual. Currently running Mobil Delvac Extreme full synthetic but my next choice would be Shell Rotella T-5 10W-30 synthetic blend. I probably won't drive 15K per year especially with these high fuel prices now, so I'll change it yearly.
I'm sure the engine will outlast the truck whichever oil I use

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Amsoil SS 5w40 w/Amsoil EAO80 filter or Fleetguard filter LF16035. Hoping that HSS releases the OUTLAW oil in 5w40 so I can switch to that. Would not hesitate to use Shaeffers or Rotella T6. Anything that meets recommended specs is far more than sufficient, the main thing is drain intervals matching with the product and usage respectively. Bitog is a good place to see some UOA sheets and do more research on this topic specifically but me being the nut about using the best for things I care about, has me running what I research to be the ''best'' for my application for intervals not longer than 10k/km.

Rgpracer

Reaction score
The deal I made when buying my truck from dealer was free oil changes until 36k. I have one left after today's. I have read that synthetic is recommended, 12 quarts. At $200 an oil change, will do it myself.

Ok, my (open a hornet's nest) question.......
What brands of fuel filter, air filter and synthetic oil brands do you guys prefer or do we have one or a hundred links to this question?

Thanks guys and gals.
Ray

Linked4door

Reaction score
Personally I run Amsoil, gear oil, motor oil, and oil filter. Mopar/fleetguard for fuel filters. Here are some other threads that might provide more info.

quicksilv.r

Reaction score
Well, since few really followed my instructions in my original post, it was pretty pointless. Just wanted posts that look like this, and nothing else:

10w-30 Mobil Delvac Extreme. I can get it at a great price, and is readily available.

Oh well.

Lab_Rat

Reaction score
I normally run shaeffers in my vehicles....I'm giving HSS blue diamond a shot and going to uoa it to see how it compares....5-40....

I am very interested in your results once you receive them, IndyRamDRW.

I’m considering both oils you mentioned, and I imagine others are, too….your findings will definitely be beneficial to the forum.

I am adding a FASS, Frantz bypass filter system, and upgrading the OEM 32-gallon fuel tank to the S&B 50 gallon tank in the next week or so.

I plan to change the break-in oil with Schaffers at the same time I install these first few farkles.

I’ll try and capture some OUA samples over time with the same two oils, and add to your dataset.

jebruns

Reaction score
You have to run synthetic in these
Why is that? The owners manual doesn't say that, and you know they are always overly cautious with their recommendations. I guess I could see if it you lived in a cold climate, since syn's flow better at extreme cold temps. I've never used a syn oil in any of my diesel's, never been an issue. Rotella T4, OEM filters in my Ram.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Why is that? The owners manual doesn't say that, and you know they are always overly cautious with their recommendations. I guess I could see if it you lived in a cold climate, since syn's flow better at extreme cold temps. I've never used a syn oil in any of my diesel's, never been an issue. Rotella T4, OEM filters in my Ram.
If you can find 5w40 or 10w30 diesel oil that is not synthetic i would be rather surprised…. You cant run t4 as you cant run 15w40 in these trucks…

jebruns

Reaction score
If you can find 5w40 or 10w30 diesel oil that is not synthetic i would be rather surprised…. You cant run t4 as you cant run 15w40 in these trucks…
Not what my 18's manual says, unless it is below 0f degrees. Very rarely gets that cold where I live.
OilSpec.jpg

jebruns

Reaction score
Good for you… this is the 19+ engines the thread is referring to so your non hydraulic lifter engine is irrelevant
You got my interest, as I'm ordering a 22 CTD. So I just pulled down the 2022 owners manual from the Mopar website and it also does not specify synthetic for temps above 0f. It does recommend the 10-30 though, so that is good to know. And the Rotella T4 10-30 meets or exceeds the listed specs. I'll have to keep my eye out for a case of that. I can use up my 2 cases of 15-40 Rotella in the diesel pusher.
ScreenHunter_80 Mar. 18 11.00.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You got my interest, as I'm ordering a 22 CTD. So I just pulled down the 2022 owners manual from the Mopar website and it also does not specify synthetic for temps above 0f. It does recommend the 10-30 though, so that is good to know. And the Rotella T4 10-30 meets or exceeds the listed specs. I'll have to keep my eye out for a case of that. I can use up my 2 cases of 15-40 Rotella in the diesel pusher.
View attachment 34146
T4 10w30 must be a merican thing we dont even have a listing for it on the canadian shell site…

Users who are viewing this thread