Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What oil for 2020 cummins? - Merged oil threads

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Mopar or Fleetguard filters only and Rotella synthetic, it's a $10,000 engine don't skimp and buy in bulk not one at a time!
So do buy in bulk?

Oil doesn't go bad?

I've mobil 1 sitting in the garage that fur sure looked like it went bad.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Pretty certain it has to be 5w40.

They (line workers) aren't going to care/know where the truck is going so they aren't going to mix oils depending on locale.
Have you gotten used to the way the truck shifts yet? I definitely love the sound it makes when the full exhaust brake is engaged. I do have to admit it the shifting for me felt strange because the only other diesel truck that I had was a manual transmission. I cant believe how comfortable they ride.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
T6 5w40 but it is getting hard to find. Seems like everyplace thinks heavy duty diesel oil has to be 15w40. Changing the oil every six or seven weeks along with fuel filters I have to be able to find and keep a large supply on hand.
Might try home depot if there is one close , i just bought 12 gallons of rotella t6 5w/40 full synthetic for $24/gallon and they had at least 6 more boxes above in there storage rack. Used to buy it at walmart for $17.88/gallon less then a year ago but everything is going crazy now so i bought enough for 4 oil changes.

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
Might try home depot if there is one close , i just bought 12 gallons of rotella t6 5w/40 full synthetic for $24/gallon and they had at least 6 more boxes above in there storage rack. Used to buy it at walmart for $17.88/gallon less then a year ago but everything is going crazy now so i bought enough for 4 oil changes.
I'm waiting for a score like that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you gotten used to the way the truck shifts yet? I definitely love the sound it makes when the full exhaust brake is engaged. I do have to admit it the shifting for me felt strange because the only other diesel truck that I had was a manual transmission. I cant believe how comfortable they ride.
The trans will adapt to your driving and smooth out over time. All modern autos are "self-learning."

The Aisin is much more aggressive on the downshifts with the EB on and TH.

Couple threads here on the trans if you look around.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
At Walmart getting groceries. Just thought I’d check. No where needing an oil change. Just curious.

Valvoline 5w40 $24.97 5 quart. That’s the only 5w40 they have

They a few Super Tech 2.5 gallons of DEF $11.38

rktjr1

Reaction score
I am using Amsoil 5w40 ss w/Amsoil filter. Mopar or Fleetguard for fuel filters. I plan on trying Schaeffers oil and probably interchanging between Amsoil oil filters and Fleetguard.
Did you see any benefits running Amsoil vrs factory oil?

resoverlord

Reaction score

In case you haven't seen this before.

Specifically:

CAUTION! 15W-40 grade oil CAN NOT be used in any 2019 model year or newer 6.7L equipped vehicles due to the new designed valve train of this engine. If this oil is used, it will cause deposits to form in the Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters leading to undesirable noise, and/or engine damage.

And:

For all trucks, regardless of model year, located in areas where the ambient temperatures routinely fall below 0°F (-18°C) during the winter, it is required to use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil that meets US Material Standard MS-10902, and API CJ-4.

quicksilv.r

Reaction score
Hey all, I like doing casual research to find out what the real folks in the real world are doing, and one question I always like to see information on is this:

Which oil (brand and weight) are you using in your newer 6.7L Cummins, and why? Reasons why can be simple or elaborate, I don't care....just whatever reason you personally choose. To be honest I'd love to just see a lot of responses in here, and not much discussion regarding other folks posts. Just to keep it clean and be able to scroll through a lot of "data" easily.

Thanks in advance, and I'll start:

----------------

Valvoline 5w-40 Premium Blue full synthetic. I've always used Valvoline products, and they have always treated me well. I haven't even changed the oil in my truck yet (too new) but that's what's going in. :)

Aketay

Reaction score
At the present time, if I can find three gallons on the shelf that are the same, it’s going down the hole. But normally I would stick with the above mentioned by Brutal_HO

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Shell is the only oil i use in my cummins, there are 4 trucks locally both have over a million miles original engine always used shell…

Nick

Reaction score
Valvoline 5- 40 . Honestly all these oil have to meet the same standards . They are all good Shell ,Dello , Amzoil etc . It's all about marketing and convincing the customer that their oil is the best for their application . X percentage of engines will hit a million miles which is due to the thousands of that particular type being built . Most will not for one reason or another .

D

Deleted member 21465

I buy the Shell Rotella T6 in bulk. I know I don't need to but I change the oil every 7,500 miles.

Texasram1

Reaction score
I am going with Rotella t5 ultra 10w30 or t5 10w30. Depends whats on the shelf.

What is the proper oil change volume on the 6.7? Im sure its in my manual, but that is far away at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread