Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to Rich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geektoad

Reaction score
I've got the L2 Laramie as well. I don't have the CD player, but I also never saw an ad saying there was one. maybe i missed it because I also wasn't looking for it, as I haven't used CDs in my vehicles for about 15 years.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I've got the L2 Laramie as well. I don't have the CD player, but I also never saw an ad saying there was one. maybe i missed it because I also wasn't looking for it, as I haven't used CDs in my vehicles for about 15 years.
Haha. Well thanks for replying anyway. You can go on the build and price tool and do the 19 model and it's in the L1 pkg. Which is what i thought i bought since they didn't update there site early in the year when we placed our orders. I feel like an old schooler wanting my 8 track player to come back. Ahhh the good ole days

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Rich,

Sounds like you’re getting the beat down over the CD player. When I bought my 2013 Longhorn 1500 the dealership had a young man on staff whose only job was to demonstrate the features of the vehicle as part of the delivery process. I interrupted him while he was explaining everything and asked where the CD player was...he stopped and looked at me with complete disgust and disdain and said sir...that’s antiquated technology why would you want that when you can stream via Bluetooth. I didn’t punch him in the face even though I wanted to and it was the best delivery experience I’ve had to date. I’m pretty sure he wanted to punch me too ... He also touted the SD card capability that could potentially hold 70,000 songs. I don‘t think that ever caught on either. All that was emerging technology 7 years ago, not where we are today, it’s even better.

My previous 2017 2500 Limited didn’t have a CD player either but the 2019 model Laramie does, it has the L2 package. I thought it was odd when the sales guy pointed it out and I remarked I thought they were being phased out. No sh!t he was a man bun wearing, vaping, millennial and replied people of your demographic had driven the demand for it so FCA started using it again. I also refrained from punching him in the face...So I have a CD player....now if I could just remember where they are. I’m kidding it is antiquated at this point, no set of bulky discs to lug around and get scratched etc.

Rich you should download Pandora and create a Hank Jr channel and stream it through your infotainment center. You’ll get all the associated artists too. The same songs play on my Willie, Waylon, Merle, George Jones channels. You’ll forget that CD thing.

Even though the era is gone, and not to sound like an old fart stuck in the past, I do miss the artwork of album covers of the 70’s.

geektoad

Reaction score
Rich,

Sounds like you’re getting the beat down over the CD player. When I bought my 2013 Longhorn 1500 the dealership had a young man on staff whose only job was to demonstrate the features of the vehicle as part of the delivery process. I interrupted him while he was explaining everything and asked where the CD player was...he stopped and looked at me with complete disgust and disdain and said sir...that’s antiquated technology why would you want that when you can stream via Bluetooth. I didn’t punch him in the face even though I wanted to and it was the best delivery experience I’ve had to date. I’m pretty sure he wanted to punch me too ... He also touted the SD card capability that could potentially hold 70,000 songs. I don‘t think that ever caught on either. All that was emerging technology 7 years ago, not where we are today, it’s even better.

My previous 2017 2500 Limited didn’t have a CD player either but the 2019 model Laramie does, it has the L2 package. I thought it was odd when the sales guy pointed it out and I remarked I thought they were being phased out. No sh!t he was a man bun wearing, vaping, millennial and replied people of your demographic had driven the demand for it so FCA started using it again. I also refrained from punching him in the face...So I have a CD player....now if I could just remember where they are. I’m kidding it is antiquated at this point, no set of bulky discs to lug around and get scratched etc.

Rich you should download Pandora and create a Hank Jr channel and stream it through your infotainment center. You’ll get all the associated artists too. The same songs play on my Willie, Waylon, Merle, George Jones channels. You’ll forget that CD thing.

Even though the era is gone, and not to sound like an old fart stuck in the past, I do miss the artwork of album covers of the 70’s.

First guy, I wouldn't have punched. Second guy, i definitely would have. I commend you for your restraint.

I miss the era of album covers, artwork and liner notes, and everything that went with them too, but my collect is around 1800 albums on vinyl and CD. Being about to carry most of it around with me on the road via ripping and my phone instead of having to pick 10-20 to bring with and all the headaches of changing them in and out is awesome!

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich,

Nice write up. Honestly for me it's not so much about the CD player itself , it's that huge space were it's supposed to go with just the 4 little media plug ins. Your right , I can do all that stuff no problemo but that big old space annoys me, that's why I wish the CD player was there. You have got that whole massive infotainment area packed with technology and then this huge space at the bottom with 4 little plug ins.

geektoad

Reaction score
Nice write up. Honestly for me it's not so much about the CD player itself , it's that huge space were it's supposed to go with just the 4 little media plug ins. Your right , I can do all that stuff no problemo but that big old space annoys me, that's why I wish the CD player was there. You have got that whole massive infotainment area packed with technology and then this huge space at the bottom with 4 little plug ins.
do you not have the little storage cubbie where the CD player used to be?

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
do you not have the little storage cubbie where the CD player used to be?
Nope, there's a little cubbie down below in the bottom of the center console. The media plug ins take up that whole area.
20200602_143931.jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Ah, L2 Laramie looks like this:

View attachment 4956
Wellllll SOAB, that would of been nice to break things up a bit. From what I've figured out with a little research is that whole plastic molded fitted piece is the whole phone charger assembly, wich i already have. Would be an easy swap for sure but the only ones I've seen so far are around $250, and that's w/o the CD player. Not worth it to just get a little cubbie. It will just have to annoy me I guess. But then again, I guess since you pd the extra couple grand for L2 pkg you got the upgrade. I just couldn't do it for cooled back seats and 17 speakers, and oh yeah, a cubbie to. Yes I'm being a smart @$$

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Now I just went to the build site and did the L2 pkg and it looks just like mine, not yours with cubby, plain Jane
Screenshot_20200602-153903.png

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich,

Just add a cassette player for all your mix tapes.

Or maybe we can find you an 8-track.

:p
8 track all the way baby, nothing like that big tape getting wrapped up around everything

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this little read I stumbled upon on my Google news. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with all the comments but thought it was a pretty good read.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Well I just put up my fight and I was right but get nothing for it, hahaha. An actual person from fca just called me to discuss the cd player not being there when it was advertised early in the 20 season because they had not updated the build site from 19. She said your right there was and is a lag on the build site to keep things current but a CD player isn't offered anymore. I proved to her that it's still showing up in some trucks or there is a little cubby space there for storage, either of wich I didn't get. I explained that you can go online right now and look at pictures and see that there all different, and that my whole beef is that I just want what wad advertised at the time. She said your right it was but there but there's nothing I can do for you now as it's not offered anymore. She was very polite but it was a whole back and forth thing that wasnt going to change in any way. She was typing and taking notes the whole time and said that they are keeping track of issues just like this so if there is an abundance of these complaints that they can then react. When i explained that even the cubby would suffice, that it's just that while big area with 4 tiny ports in the center looks horrible with all that packed in technology and at least with the cubby there's that and plug ins are off to the side, not just a huge wide open area. She said unfortunately they change things all the time like this. Told her i was a bit disappointed that i didn't get what was advertised when i ordered and if they were doing away with the cd player why didn't the price on the L1 pkg go down, but instead it went up a 100, wich i didn't pay. So hey, your right, but sorrrryyyyyyyyyyy.
So I say lets all join in a class action suit to get our 80s cd players. :p :D:)
Im just kidding fca and ram care, that big ole space just annoys me. The only fix I can see is, that whole area where the phone charger area plastic form and you can get different versions of it online. It would be easy to pop it out and exchange it, but just for a different plastic shape with either cubby or cd openings is around $360 and thats just for that phone charger plastic fascia piece with out any cd player included. Im going to starry a protest infringe of fca " bring back our cd players", lol, just joking of coarse. Now y'all can start making fun of me, but I had to try

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Well I just put up my fight and I was right but get nothing for it, hahaha. An actual person from fca just called me to discuss the cd player not being there when it was advertised early in the 20 season because they had not updated the build site from 19. She said your right there was and is a lag on the build site to keep things current but a CD player isn't offered anymore. I proved to her that it's still showing up in some trucks or there is a little cubby space there for storage, either of wich I didn't get. I explained that you can go online right now and look at pictures and see that there all different, and that my whole beef is that I just want what wad advertised at the time. She said your right it was but there but there's nothing I can do for you now as it's not offered anymore. She was very polite but it was a whole back and forth thing that wasnt going to change in any way. She was typing and taking notes the whole time and said that they are keeping track of issues just like this so if there is an abundance of these complaints that they can then react. When i explained that even the cubby would suffice, that it's just that while big area with 4 tiny ports in the center looks horrible with all that packed in technology and at least with the cubby there's that and plug ins are off to the side, not just a huge wide open area. She said unfortunately they change things all the time like this. Told her i was a bit disappointed that i didn't get what was advertised when i ordered and if they were doing away with the cd player why didn't the price on the L1 pkg go down, but instead it went up a 100, wich i didn't pay. So hey, your right, but sorrrryyyyyyyyyyy.
So I say lets all join in a class action suit to get our 80s cd players. :p :D:)
Im just kidding fca and ram care, that big ole space just annoys me. The only fix I can see is, that whole area where the phone charger area plastic form and you can get different versions of it online. It would be easy to pop it out and exchange it, but just for a different plastic shape with either cubby or cd openings is around $360 and thats just for that phone charger plastic fascia piece with out any cd player included. Im going to starry a protest infringe of fca " bring back our cd players", lol, just joking of coarse. Now y'all can start making fun of me, but I had to try
Give ‘em hell Rich !!

Reaction score
I hear ya. Luckily, I bought a 2019 last year with the CD player, as I listen to CDs all the time. Definitely did away with the CD for 2020, along with the chrome bumpers that go along with the 2-tone silver lowers. Guess I lucked out on both fronts. Maybe you can pick up a 2019 somewhere, transplant the CD into your 2020, and have the best of both worlds ;)

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Give ‘em hell Rich !!
Hey Rich, while you're at 'em get us an 8 track too View attachment 5073
Thats what I do, hold em accountable. I told her that I wasnt happy about it, but not enough people have spoke up. Im definitely not gonna spend the 400 for a little plastic cubby, but I do wish I had it to break up the huge chalk board area down there. Oh well, can't win them all. It might date the truck in 10 years but i do wish it would of had the cd player for this old school guy. She said, well since you waited for the 50 gal tank that you lost out on the cd player, she laughed at that one. Maybe in a year I can get that phone charger cubby plastic mold somewhere for a 100 bucks. She even called my salesman in AR and inquired about my build sheet and she said your sm actually stood up for you and said that he had to agree with me that while it wasnt technically on the build sheet that upon the design process that it was listed as one of the details on the L1 pkg, and that there website has fallen behind in keeping up with the changes, ie: ttpms and aux camera build code and not being able to select the tube steps with different designs. Oh well, I'm packing my "BRING BACK OUR CDS" picket sign and heading up to Detroit fca and voice my opinion, because it matters. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread