Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

HORam

Reaction score
35f6ef6d436a39211bac86cc806cde5c.jpg

f771cdc0b569b3de4c283c635968f27c.jpg

Took her camping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked through your post but couldn't find the info I was looking for. What size tire and rim are you running? Are you leveled?

Looks great by the way...

f14e568337c49dce7a044df334e63889.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I looked through your post but couldn't find the info I was looking for. What size tire and rim are you running? Are you leveled?

Looks great by the way...

f14e568337c49dce7a044df334e63889.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks sir

20x9 0 offset on a 275/65/20
No level
Minor minor rub at full lock. Fixed that with a heat gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
What did I do to my RAM today...finally finished putting the air lift in.

I’m going to post this in several threads because I’m so happy that I’m finally done, complete, no mas!!! Based on everyone’s experiences shared here I pulled the trigger and bought the Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus. The stainless sounded like a good idea based on others (Brutal’s) recommendations. After a few days of over thinking and watching YouTube I also bought the 74000-2nd gen compressor with the EZ mount. I was scheduled to have the guys at Trick Trucks in Chantilly VA install for me. Unfortunately I was exposed to 2 different people with COVID and subsequently quarantined so I had to cancel. I got tested and waited for my test results and all good, the wife and I were both negative.

With time on my hands, the idle mind/devils workshop theory took over and I searched the ends of the internet on the subject and through the magic of You Tube, it seemed easy enough...I would soon come to appreciate working on a truck on a lift versus underneath, on a creeper, on your back makes a big difference. Amazingly enough I still fit under the truck without needing additional clearance of jack stands but... if I’m being honest, I’m about one donut away from not being able to !

The only real setback I had is the Ultimate Plus comes with braided stainless air lines that require additional fittings that didn’t come with my kit. I took time to find quality products, I eventually got the correct elbows that mount in the bag and I was in business. I took my time and followed the instructions ... this time... :p I opted for the setup where compressor lines tie into a T union which gives me the ability to also manually fill as a redundancy if the compressor fails. I ran the manual line schraeder valves to the license plate bolt for easy access. The wireless remote pairs with the manifold when you first put the main fuse in. The manual says you have 5 minutes but it didn‘t take on the first go. I pulled the fuse and repeated the process and synced on the second go around. So far everything is working as it should without errors. No leaks so far, let’s see how it does overnight.

We’re going to tow the new TT this weekend I’ll post how it went when I’m done.

This video was the most helpful setting the compressor up.

FFDFAAEC-12E5-498B-9861-6C1E5B2D1BC4.jpeg6A5CC316-1B0D-4997-9A7E-016DBF4D48C2.jpegDB6FD37E-B3AB-4D12-B7F7-10FF45BA099E.jpegD7FBD64F-8D09-48BF-BFDA-648B62FD2389.jpeg4D109E7A-6C55-482B-99EC-63ACDC0C4ABB.jpeg

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
That looks like quite the project! Lots of parts haha.
Holy smokes was it tedious!! It’s not in my nature to have patience for messing around with small, fiddly bit parts. Give me an impact driver or breaker bar and I’m your man!! I decided I had the time and would save myself around 6 hours in labor costs...of course I spent probably twice that in time and immeasurable frustration. I just told myself going into it, nothing is going to work right the first time. It either won’t line up, they’ll leave essential information out of the instructions, there’s a missing part or something else that frustrates the sh!t out of me. I invested everyting in being patient and taking my time to make sure I got it right. I figured I could make it turn out the way I wanted by doing it myself, mounting it so I could have easy access to fix leaks or repair/replace parts. I’m happy with how it turned out, keeping my fingers crossed that it lives up to expectations.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Holy smokes was it tedious!! It’s not in my nature to have patience for messing around with small, fiddly bit parts. Give me an impact driver or breaker bar and I’m your man!! I decided I had the time and would save myself around 6 hours in labor costs...of course I spent probably twice that in time and immeasurable frustration. I just told myself going into it, nothing is going to work right the first time. It either won’t line up, they’ll leave essential information out of the instructions, there’s a missing part or something else that frustrates the sh!t out of me. I invested everyting in being patient and taking my time to make sure I got it right. I figured I could make it turn out the way I wanted by doing it myself, mounting it so I could have easy access to fix leaks or repair/replace parts. I’m happy with how it turned out, keeping my fingers crossed that it lives up to expectations.

Almost makes me wish I had done this instead of the factory air that has zero control.

geektoad

Reaction score
Almost makes me wish I had done this instead of the factory air that has zero control.

I came from a truck that i mounted my own air bag system in, and went factory air on the new Ram. So far, I haven't felt like it didn't do what i wanted it to so far. Where has the factory system come up short for you? (I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly curious, as everyone uses their trucks differently)

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I came from a truck that i mounted my own air bag system in, and went factory air on the new Ram. So far, I haven't felt like it didn't do what i wanted it to so far. Where has the factory system come up short for you? (I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly curious, as everyone uses their trucks differently)
I went the opposite way, my 2017 had factory rear leveling this one didn’t. I had no issues with the factory suspension, worked like a champ. I bought the current 2019 truck in a time crunch, it was pretty well equipped but that was the only real option it didn’t have that I wanted. I liked that the factory OEM setup ran on magic, just did its thing with no real input from me.

This is my first experience with aftermarket air bags. I like that I know how many lbs of pressure I’m running and I can go from 5 - 100 lbs, that’s a big range. My first tow test is this weekend, I’ll experiment with the poundage and hopefully find the sweet spot.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I’m on a roll...added the K&N air filter today. I opted for the K&N to get a little more HP and hopefully added torque. Minor gains but I’ll take it. I put the K&N on top of the factory OEM filter to show how massive it is. I put a plug socket in front for scale. Looks like it might be similar to me trying to breathe through one of those N95 masks when I’m in the grocery store !!

EBC74B8F-44A7-46B3-A462-07992670B4B4.jpeg

Last edited:

JinwA

Reaction score
Make no mistake. With over 30 years experience. You don’t get something for nothing. If you put in filters that filter less instead of increasing surface area you will shorten the life of your engine. K&N is a farce. You would have to design your own air box and install filters with same micron filtration level but increase surface area to really gain anything. I seriously doubt you have enough room within the engine compartment to accomplish that. Just saying. Why do you think semi’s run filter assemblies externally on the truck? Those are the ones they decided needed more air.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I had air-lift springs on my 04.5. The lack of almost any control on the factory setup and the utterly useless bed "lowering" mode that doesn't lower. Aux trailer height. Big whoop.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I had air-lift springs on my 04.5. The lack of almost any control on the factory setup and the utterly useless bed "lowering" mode that doesn't lower. Aux trailer height. Big whoop.

On my 2016 3500 limited SRW, it had the auto rear leveling system. It worked great for heavy loads in the bed. But for me, that system didn't impress me when we had the camper on it with no real adjustability to the system other than the Alt Ride Height. I am glad my 2020 3500 limited dualy didn't come with it. Now a buddy of mine bought 2019 3500 limited dually with it in it and he likes it. But he hauls a car trailer or a gooseneck with his. I think it depends on the load you have on or in your truck that makes you either like that setup or not. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Make no mistake. With over 30 years experience. You don’t get something for nothing. If you put in filters that filter less instead of increasing surface area you will shorten the life of your engine. K&N is a farce. You would have to design your own air box and install filters with same micron filtration level but increase surface area to really gain anything. I seriously doubt you have enough room within the engine compartment to accomplish that. Just saying. Why do you think semi’s run filter assemblies externally on the truck? Those are the ones they decided needed more air.
So if I‘m gettin what you’re saying...you’re not a fan of K&N. I’m betting you won‘t like my choice of oil either...what’s your thoughts on SuperTech ... Just sayin.. I’ve got a few miles on my tires too and understand where you’re coming from. It’s a gas engine, not a diesel but filtration is relative in both. If I had the nerve I’d cut a hole in the hood and poke a shaker through it, no external air cans for me!!

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Now I’m thinking the lil red express should have had external air cans to go with the stacks!
Ok you got me there...there’s always exceptions to everything. That would be pretty cool to see

Users who are viewing this thread